Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions and opinions of opinions...
(05-02-2021, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With the whole Chase-Sewell debate and the insane amount of contentious back and forth during the draft, there has been talk about being able to praise or criticize, be positive or negative, etc without being attacked by those who disagree. So, here are my thoughts on the subject:

This deal with being able to share opinions is - everyone has to be allowed to do that, whether it's positive or negative. The thing is though, once you put your opinion out there, you can't then turn around and want to silence other people for having an 'opinion' of what you said either, whether it's positive or negative. 

There are posters on this board who tend to be far more extreme in their optimism or pessimism. Both of those catch flack for it. It's not just one side or another, and no one is getting shut down for having good or bad things to say. Once you put opinions out there, not everyone will agree or like it. When you get opinions back, you won't always agree or like it. 

That's just the way it is. If we're going to have a board where everyone is allowed to express themselves (within the CoC of course) then we have to put up with stuff that pisses us off sometimes - only was this can work. 

So what your saying is the Bengals really whiffed this off-season fixing the offensive line? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I agree 100%. There are a lot of great Bengals fans here ranging from people that just watch the games and follow for fun (that's me) to people that do tons of research and analysis. That said, yes if someone posts their opinion it is open to being criticized by others. I just expect such criticism to be productive and not so much, "You idiot why would you think that?"

I think the thing to remember is that the person you are responding to is a real person and not some chat bot or whatever. They have their own lives and experiences. It is so easy to feel so disconnected from others on the Internet and not see fellow participants as real people. I'm guilty of forgetting that myself as I have made jokes about other forum members here. But anyway, if someone posts their opinion feel free to challenge it in a respectful way.

I’m OK with it.Minus the name calling which I think is sort of crossing the line .We can agree to disagree.Opinions are like rear ends.Everybody has one.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 05:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: To me, a bigger issue is some folks want to have things both ways.

They want to insult other people's opinions, but want to play victim when their own opinion gets insulted.  

Even worse are the posters who ran around attacking other people's opinions and derailing thread after thread in the build up to the draft when the majority of the board had their back now crying about being attacked when they are no longer in the majority.  If you're going to dish it out, you'd better be able to take it.  If you can't, don't dish it out in the first place.

Pretty much where i'm at.

Got to be able to handle the smoke.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 05:25 PM)GodFather Wrote: So what your saying is the Bengals really whiffed this off-season fixing the offensive line? Ninja

That, and subtly reminding us to be nice and respectful toward one another.   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:38 PM)Spider Wrote: I was gonna use the C word in that analogy but the worlld has gone hyper sensitive in a huge hurry..

Why would she be mad cause you said she was Caring?

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What bothers me is when someone posts a ridiculous opinion and when it is pointed out how ridiculous it is they consider that a "personal attack".

"A. J. McCarron was one of the greatest Bengals QBs ever."

"That is the dumbest things I have ever heard."

"Why are you resorting to personal attacks against me?"

Calling your opinion stupid is not the same as calling you stupid.  And if you can't stand for anyone to call your opinion stupid you probably shouldn't hang out on message boards.

Well he did almost win us that playoff game that one time.

Stop insulting AJ Macaroni.  He didn't do anything to you!!!!!!!

[Image: th?id=OIP.xt_n6K8J-tciAVhBgXv6TwAAAA&pid...=204&h=153]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well...some people do call me old.. Screw it..I'm gonna tell my MOM!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With the whole Chase-Sewell debate and the insane amount of contentious back and forth during the draft, there has been talk about being able to praise or criticize, be positive or negative, etc without being attacked by those who disagree. So, here are my thoughts on the subject:

This deal with being able to share opinions is - everyone has to be allowed to do that, whether it's positive or negative. The thing is though, once you put your opinion out there, you can't then turn around and want to silence other people for having an 'opinion' of what you said either, whether it's positive or negative. 

There are posters on this board who tend to be far more extreme in their optimism or pessimism. Both of those catch flack for it. It's not just one side or another, and no one is getting shut down for having good or bad things to say. Once you put opinions out there, not everyone will agree or like it. When you get opinions back, you won't always agree or like it. 

That's just the way it is. If we're going to have a board where everyone is allowed to express themselves (within the CoC of course) then we have to put up with stuff that pisses us off sometimes - only was this can work. 

[Image: iB5xwIJ.gif]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Exactly. And with recourse. Having an opinion about things does not give anyone a right to try and belittle or attack a posters intelligence because they have an opinion. Sure, some jabs are meant in good humor and those are respectable. However when you borderline call someone an idiot or put words in their mouth, that's a line crosser. Not just in Jungle Noise, but the whole board.

Or outright call them an idiot

This is the thing for me. Disagree with some level of respect all you want. But when someone starts throwing insults in they've crossed the line.
Reply/Quote
Quoting Stephen Covey, from "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People":

1.) Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

This book changed my life many years ago. It was required reading in one of my college courses and while I thought it sounded hokey, it is excellent stuff. I have all my employees, friends, family, etc read it. That first "habit" is so rare in our society today. It solves so many arguments before they really get started. People don't escalate so quickly when they feel like they are not only being heard, but understood.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:53 PM)Spider Wrote: Im certain Jared Goff Loved our pick @ 5...
Sewell in Detroit wont last that long though..
I kinda feel bad for the guy he was drafted their..
I bet Cincy looks like a Cadillac to him now as opposed to the Ford Taurus he is in

Not sure why he wouldn't, Decker has been there for some time and has had a nice career.
Reply/Quote