Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on SB officiating?
Living in central PA, of course all of my Steeler-fan friends are all complaining about the officiating. (We all know the REAL reason why they're pissed.) Also, they're trying to convince me that it's not just "them," but EVERYONE around the NFL. I'm just not seeing it. Seems to me that, other than butt-hurt Steeler fans - the officiating gets a big "meh."

What's the overall consensus about the officiating? Does anyone have any links, etc?
Reply/Quote
John Parry and his crew were fantastic. They let the guys play and only called blatant penalties.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Steeler fans upset about officiating? Now that's a new one seeing as most calls go in their favor. Geez.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Steeler fans upset about officiating? Now that's a new one seeing as most calls go in their favor. Geez.

Oh, NO NO NO, according to them... we lowly Bengal fans only THINK the Steelers get most calls in their favor - due to our blinding hatred of the Steelers.

I really wish I was joking, but I'm not.
Reply/Quote
The general rule in the SB has always been to let them play, however I think this game may actually change that. The league wants offense and historically not calling penalties didn't prevent that from happening however there were opportunities last night where penalties could have spurred scoring and in the fallout to the low scoring game and people not enjoying it I think we may see more flags next year if the game is low scoring early.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of "let em play".  It allows teams with lesser talent to essentially be sanctioned to cheat to win.

Plus it isn't evenly applied.

Call the penalties and the teams will stop committing them.  Isn't that the theory behind the recent "emphasis" on head shots and roughing the QB?  To make the players change the way they play?

As to this year's game...I didn't watch one second of it.

Looking at the stats I see the "well disciplined" Patriots only had 3 penalties enforced to 9 for the Rams.

Quote:Penalties
  • Patriots — 3/20 (+2 declined)
  • Rams — 9/65 (+1 declined)
Replays
  • None

Without actually watching I can't say whether that was "fair" or not.

I do know that last year the Patriots lead the league in fewest penalties in the playoffs and most scoring drives assisted by a penalty all season.

I suppose that's just an effect of being "well disciplined".  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't complain to much about yesterday. The only real flag I didn't like was the hit on Rex on that dump off, thought that was iffy..
Reply/Quote
The refs were mostly fair, although they did miss a couple of PI calls on the Rams and also should have called Goff for intentional grounding.
Reply/Quote
I thought the game was well called.....
Reply/Quote
I thought it was good overall. There was no blatantly bad called calls, nor any blatant bad non-calls like two weeks ago. There were probably a few non-calls like holding that could have been called, but nothing terribly bad though.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: The general rule in the SB has always been to let them play, however I think this game may actually change that. The league wants offense and historically not calling penalties didn't prevent that from happening however there were opportunities last night where penalties could have spurred scoring and in the fallout to the low scoring game and people not enjoying it I think we may see more flags next year if the game is low scoring early.

I hope your wrong but you're probably right. Lowest Superbowl ratings since 2004 although that could be due to a whole state not watch and Patriot fatigue.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote