Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimism coming back?
(03-13-2018, 10:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm coming around, but I wouldn't say that I'm back to fully optimistic just yet.

No doubt, it's a challenge. I am encouraged with what's happened so far BUT what we're still left with is hoping that our new coaching staff additions are really good at selling their schemes to Marvin. Hoping that their personalities are strong enough to withstand and overcome Marvin's objections to their 'suggestions'. All of the positive changes that comes our way are still subject to the many Marvin downfalls we've witnessed to date. Also Mikey for that matter, though his influence seems to have been somewhat diluted this past week. Hopeful - yes. Fully optimistic - not yet. That won't come until the games are played, and we see what results.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm coming around, but I wouldn't say that I'm back to fully optimistic just yet.

X2

I'm hoping and praying these moves are just the start. If more continues I'll be the first in line to eat some crow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Somehow I picture in my mind Mike Brown doing his best Cash Amburgy into the camera yelling "Follow the signs , follow the cars to Mikeys BIG BARGAIN CITY in South Cincinnati Ohiah! Save cash with cash!" Maybe a Jerry Cohen imitation for Concord City doing his best Michael Jackson telling us they have boys pants half off.. Maybe even doing an Emmit Royer and paying kids a dollar to show up to stand on their heads to sing the BHA song.. BHA spells Bengals Home Appliances .... (I actually did that once and never got the dollar...the cheap bastard.. )

Geeez, I must be showing my age to remember those commercials.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 03:07 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Oh no no no.....they can’t fool me anymore. I’ve seen Peanuts when Lucy keeps pulling the football out from Charlie Brown.  Every damn time.  No, it’s going to take a hell of a lot more than just one signing of an oft injured OL to bring me back into the fold.  I know how our doctors operate. Are we sure Glenn is fully healthy or is he going to retire due to complications from his injuries?  Our team doctors can misdiagnose a common cold as a broken fibula.  I have no expectations whatsoever for Glenn or these new coaches we brought in.  You can paint a turd orange, it’s still a turd.

Bingo.

And lets not all forget they were forced to do this by letting our 2 best OL walk in FA last year.  

My optimism will be back the moment they sell the team.  Unfortunately it will be too late at that point.  I'll always be a fan of the team and have a good time getting drunk screaming at the television.  But out of the thousands of dollars I wager on the NFL each year, the only bet I'd make on them is a prop to tie.

Results beget optimism.  Can't have one without the other.
Reply/Quote
For me yes, Bringing in Pollack and Austin (firing PA), making Pacman leave or restructure. and now trading for Cordy in a gamble move that could pay off hugely.

But if they draft for future in first round by taking someone they plan on waiting a year or two for then I am less optimistic immediately.

But right now am stoked and taking note of everything they are doing.

Even a couple more solid role players in FA would make happy.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I feel better than I did before Monday for sure.  I'll feel real good if Bodine takes a walk.  I'll be damn near ecstatic if they sign a decent LB or safety in FA to open of the draft even more.

Have to admit, it's encouraging to know that they may be open to a relative overhaul on the offensive line.

Spot on Sam. Pollack MUST have some influence already and him and Lazor are trying to be on the same page.

Lazor knows that it doesn't matter the plays he calls if there are no holes in the running game and the QB has no time in the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Bingo.

And lets not all forget they were forced to do this by letting our 2 best OL walk in FA last year.  

My optimism will be back the moment they sell the team.  Unfortunately it will be too late at that point.  I'll always be a fan of the team and have a good time getting drunk screaming at the television.  But out of the thousands of dollars I wager on the NFL each year, the only bet I'd make on them is a prop to tie.

Results beget optimism.  Can't have one without the other.

Still think it played out for the best.

I bet if we kept Whit and Zeit we would of made the Playoffs last year and PA would still be here.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Results beget optimism.  Can't have one without the other.

Not true at all.

Very few teams repeat as Super Bowl Champions so if you only have optimism after winning a Super Bowl it is probably going to be false optimism.

Personally I am capable of looking at multiple variables and deciding if I should be optimistic about something before it happens.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not true at all.

Very few teams repeat as Super Bowl Champions so if you only have optimism after winning a Super Bowl it is probably going to be false optimism.

Personally I am capable of looking at multiple variables and deciding if I should be optimistic about something before it happens.

Lets start small.  With maybe a playoff win.  
Reply/Quote
Mike and Marvin are still calling the shots so I’m not all in.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I will be when Bodine is officially gone.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This situation reminds me a bit of how I felt when we fired Zampese during the year.  On the one hand, it was a good move and it was surprising Mike Brown did it, because that's not his usual MO.  On the other hand, there is also a sense of "Good move...not sure why you didn't do this a year sooner, but better late than never, I guess."

The bottom line is "good move" but there is also a notable reason why we are absolutely floored that our GM would make a trade to improve our o-line when it has been a glaring weakness for years.  That might seem like complaining to some folks in these parts, but so be it.

I almost went there initially, but decided to get caught up in the excitement for once. I couldn't help but think "we shouldn't be THIS excited over a trade for a good lineman" though. I mean, some teams make signings/trades like that every other year, but to us it was like winning some imaginary offseason Super Bowl. 

Like you said, still a good thing though obviously. It's just we shouldn't be so shocked to see the team seriously address a glaring weakness 2 years after it became an obvious weakness. Hopefully it's a sign of the mythical "change" we've been perpetually waiting for and constantly seeing when it's not actually there. 

For now I'll just appreciate it for what it actually is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I almost went there initially, but decided to get caught up in the excitement for once. I couldn't help but think "we shouldn't be THIS excited over a trade for a good lineman" though. I mean, some teams make signings/trades like that every other year, but to us it was like winning some imaginary offseason Super Bowl. 

Like you said, still a good thing though obviously. It's just we shouldn't be so shocked to see the team seriously address a glaring weakness 2 years after it became an obvious weakness. Hopefully it's a sign of the mythical "change" we've been perpetually waiting for and constantly seeing when it's not actually there. 

For now I'll just appreciate it for what it actually is.

Just hope it is the first of many moves to come...

Maybe one day we won't be so shocked by a great move like this. That sure would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not true at all.

Heck, how many times during the 90s did most of us Bengals fans think that "this would FINALLY be our year to become a winner again"?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Those of you who've been around awhile know that I tend to trend to the optimistic side when it comes to many things Bengal (aside from Mike Brown). However, you'll likely recall that I was one of those that seriously considered switching my fanhood to another team once Merv was retained, not to mention MANY of the assistant coaches as well. Even after realizing it is nearly impossible to be a fan of another team after rooting for the Bengals for well over 20+ years, I resigned myself to at least 2 more years of the crap we've endured the past 2 years.

Even now, with some of the moves that make it seem as if the Front Office is FINALLY making the kind of moves they should be making EVERY year, I can't help but think this is mainly "lip service" (so to speak) in making it APPEAR as if the FO is doing stuff; trying to show the fans that things will be different this year.

With that said, the trade for Glenn is sparking the old optimism in me. I can't help but look back and think "If only we had a competent offensive line ..." which makes me look forward and think "If only we have a competent offensive line ..."

I can't say I'm hopeful for the future just yet, but the optimism is starting to come back. If the FO keeps making moves like the one they made for Glenn, it may come back stronger than ever.

Now, if only Merv can actually fix his coaching mistakes ...

Optimism? No.

But the "same ole same ole" dread has lessened a bit.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 02:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Optimism? No.

But the "same ole same ole" dread has lessened a bit.

Pretty much this. I keep thinking this is a real life illusion similar to "now you see me". 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
the Bears are who we thought they were! That’s why we took the damn field! Now, if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But, they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!

(Sorry, it just seemed somehow appropriate)
Reply/Quote
To be brutally honest, my optimism won't come back until we have a new starting Center that is worth a shit.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 06:56 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I will be when Bodine is officially gone.

Agreed. I'd be happier if Bodine was replaced. It, unfortunately, will not happen.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
So Eiffert back on a one year deal seems like a nice get.
Reply/Quote