Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Price: Center or Guard?
So the Bengals will be targeting offensive linemen in the upcoming draft ( hopefully ), but one of the biggest questions is whether or not Price will slot in at Guard or Center next year. Obviously he had experience at both before becoming a full time center this year for the Bengals, but I feel like it allows us to be pretty open as to which direction to go and whether or not a guard or center is targeted.

Basically, if you had to make a decision today, where would you rather play him? Keep him at Center or move him to Guard?
Reply/Quote
I give him another year before a move to guard. Last year was weird with his difficult injury and the timing of it. I think he now has played about 10 NFL games. I'd give him this year to come in and hopefully have a good injury free camp and decent amount of games played before making too many moves.

He also had the problem of playing on an offensive line that had pretty well been destroyed by management. He was right next to Boling on the one side, and that was good, but Redmond and Hart on the other, I'm sure complicated things for anybody, let alone a rookie.
Reply/Quote
There were some positives in the Bengals offensive line last year, one of them being the rushing attack. I think with a more creative offense that is not as predictable by simple formations that both the passing game and rushing attack can improve with the current offensive line.

I would leave Price at Center. People may not want to hear it about him after his rookie season, but he kid is a leader and they need that mouthpiece on the line. Richie Braham wasn't a stud his rookie season, either. Price will be back stronger and ready to go after an injury-plagued rookie season.

I think the offensive line will get a very large RT candidate in the draft to compete with Hart. That player could earn the starting role and Hart could be relegated to the backup/extra lineman role. They needed to sign him for depth and stability if nothing else. They will still be looking to find a RT of the future, I'm sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm torn on this. On one hand I feel like you need to get him back out there because he missed so much time last season, but on the other hand I don't want them to keep trotting him out there week-after-week if he continues to stink up the joint.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:29 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm torn on this.  On one hand I feel like you need to get him back out there because he missed so much time last season, but on the other hand I don't want them to keep trotting him out there week-after-week if he continues to stink up the joint.

Assuming that he remains completely healthy, and has a very productive camp, I don't see how you don't allow your 1st round Center to continue learning to master his craft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There is what one center that will go in the first 2 maybe even 3 rounds this year? Yea best bet is probably seeing if Price can improve over his injury riddled rookie season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Price only counts $2.6 mill toward the cap this year, $3.2 mill next year, and $3.7 mill in 2021.
Because of that, I give him time and opportunity to play both and see what he's best at.
Given Hopkins has shown some competency at C last year, I don't think we need to force Price to start.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It doesn't matter....we re-signed Hart for 3 years so the line will continue to suck. Honestly though, with Price I think he is better as a Right Guard but they won't make that move after one season. If they were smart they would have played Hopkins at Center for the rest of the year when Price came back and him at Right Guard last year.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
He's either. I'd imagine that being an OK guard is Billy Price's floor. Competition for both the center and right guard spots should allow it to shake out. 
Reply/Quote
Because I prefer mammoth offensive linemen I prefer him at C. So that way we can have a giant RG.

Maybe drafting Jonah Williams and giving him a shot to play LT and moving Cordy to RG. If Jonah isn't ready let him play G and keep Cordy out at T.

I can't say I have paid much attention to guards this year. Last year I wanted to trade up for Quenton Nelson. I haven't seen a guard yet that really makes me want to get him with an early pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:28 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: So the Bengals will be targeting offensive linemen in the upcoming draft ( hopefully ), but one of the biggest questions is whether or not Price will slot in at Guard or Center next year. Obviously he had experience at both before becoming a full time center this year for the Bengals, but I feel like it allows us to be pretty open as to which direction to go and whether or not a guard or center is targeted.

Basically, if you had to make a decision today, where would you rather play him? Keep him at Center or move him to Guard?

C is a tough position to learn at the NFL level.  I'm not a Price fanboy, by any stretch, but you have to give him some time before you move him.  At the very least, the new staff has to run him through another TC and see if they feel he can develop at the position.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: C is a tough position to learn at the NFL level.  I'm not a Price fanboy, by any stretch, but you have to give him some time before you move him.  At the very least, the new staff has to run him through another TC and see if they feel he can develop at the position.

I totally agree, and I don't think it's time to panic or anything, but having him as an option at guard as well gives the team some options when it comes to the draft. Even if Price struggles with the snaps, etc., there's enough versatility there that he can kick over to guard. I think the good news is that there's also some versatility with line guys in this draft, so it opens a lot of avenues to fill needs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:18 AM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I totally agree, and I don't think it's time to panic or anything, but having him as an option at guard as well gives the team some options when it comes to the draft. Even if Price struggles with the snaps, etc., there's enough versatility there that he can kick over to guard. I think the good news is that there's also some versatility with line guys in this draft, so it opens a lot of avenues to fill needs. 

It will be interesting to see what the new staff wants to do.  Some shuffling may be in order to get the 5 best guys on the field.  Honestly, the best line may be Bolling-Westerman-Hopkins-Price-Glenn on paper.  However, Hopkins' status is another reason I wouldn't want to move Price.  Trey will be an UFA and we would either need to pony up to keep him, get another C in FA, move Price back with less experience, or draft a new C and start the process over.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:29 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm torn on this.  On one hand I feel like you need to get him back out there because he missed so much time last season, but on the other hand I don't want them to keep trotting him out there week-after-week if he continues to stink up the joint.

Move him to guard now and draft a dominate center,the Bradbury dude will be good.Price is just too short at center and gets blowed back a lot right into Dalton. Sad
Reply/Quote
Price was grading decent for a rookie center before his injuries.. have not worries about his progress or ability to be an impact player at Center at this time.. stay the course....
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:28 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: one of the biggest questions is whether or not Price will slot in at Guard or Center next year.

No its not. He is our starting C. Not even a question other than on this MB.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:28 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: So the Bengals will be targeting offensive linemen in the upcoming draft ( hopefully ), but one of the biggest questions is whether or not Price will slot in at Guard or Center next year. Obviously he had experience at both before becoming a full time center this year for the Bengals, but I feel like it allows us to be pretty open as to which direction to go and whether or not a guard or center is targeted.

If I had to make the decision right now it would be to play him at RG while playing Hopkins at C. However, with the signing of Miller that could change. I think we saw some correctable issues with Price at C last season but how much of that had to do with inconsistent play at RG next to him?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:13 PM)Beaker Wrote: No its not. He is our starting C. Not even a question other than on this MB.

While it may not be a big question it does not make it a bad question. It can be argued that while at Ohio State that he was an even more dominant RG than he was a center. I personally would have no issue with him moving to RG if you had a better option at C. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:39 PM)OSUfan Wrote: While it may not be a big question it does not make it a bad question. It can be argued that while at Ohio State that he was an even more dominant RG than he was a center. I personally would have no issue with him moving to RG if you had a better option at C. 

We can debate it all we want. But the OP framed it in the context that it was a major question that the organization was considering....its not.
Reply/Quote