Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Opting Out?
We are beginning to see players opt out of the 2020 season. The Patriots just had their 4th player decide to skip.

Having a newborn in the house seems to be a theme so far. We obviously have very little information on anyone with high-risk family members. Geno Atkins has sickle trait which puts him at high risk. Other players likely have type 2 diabetes or asthma. Those big bodies on the OL and DL are more prone to blood clots.

so what do you think....will we see any Bengal opt out

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

I won't be shocked if Geno opts out; he has a young family and the sickle Cell trait! Then again I'm not a doctor and I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to this decision.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
[Image: its-not-looking-good-memegenerator-net-i...042522.png]
I can only imagine the response around here if AJ opts out lol
All the opting out won’t matter when the season is cancelled or pushed into the spring, anyways.
Players like Geno would forfeit millions and millions of dollars by opting out. According to the doctors, children are not nearly as susceptible to getting or spreading the virus, which is why the Natl. Council on Pediatrics says put kids back in school for their own good.  But, they each have to make their own decisions. Seems to me, with all the precautions and testing in place, it would be safer to play in the NFl than it would be to go to Krogers or Lowes....
(07-28-2020, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Players like Geno would forfeit millions and millions of dollars by opting out. According to the doctors, children are not nearly as susceptible to getting or spreading the virus, which is why the Natl. Council on Pediatrics says put kids back in school for their own good.  But, they each have to make their own decisions. Seems to me, with all the precautions and testing in place, it would be safer to play in the NFl than it would be to go to Krogers or Lowes....

This is a decision with unique factors for each player. 
Have I made enough money I can live at a comfortable level for the rest of my life?  If yes, opt out, otherwise play ball.
Have I played at a level justifying a new contract to enable the wealthy life style for the rest of my life?  If yes, opt out, otherwise play ball.
Am  I a rookie or player with less than 5 years service?  If yes, play ball.  If not see above.
And on and on it goes, with hundreds of factors for all the decisions the players will make.
So it seems likely a few players on each NFL team will opt out or sit out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-28-2020, 01:44 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: This is a decision with unique factors for each player. 
Have I made enough money I can live at a comfortable level for the rest of my life?  If yes, opt out, otherwise play ball.
Have I played at a level justifying a new contract to enable the wealthy life style for the rest of my life?  If yes, opt out, otherwise play ball.
Am  I a rookie or player with less than 5 years service?  If yes, play ball.  If not see above.
And on and on it goes, with hundreds of factors for all the decisions the players will make.

Did I sit out and miss out on millions of dollars, only to get it at the local gas station, while if I had played I would have been elsewhere that day?

It's a tough decision. Personally, had I been blessed with the talent to play in this league, I would play in this case, as I think it is safer than going out in public. But, like you said, it is a unique decision every player has to make for themselves. 
(07-28-2020, 01:44 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: This is a decision with unique factors for each player. 

IDK, I think the GOAT whose wife probably makes more than anyone in the NFL will be stay in until the end. Hell he's defied state laws just to get up to speed with his new team. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-28-2020, 03:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK, I think the GOAT whose wife probably makes more than anyone in the NFL will be stay in until the end. Hell he's defied state laws just to get up to speed with his new team. 

And, unlawfully entered his coaches neighbors house.... Hilarious
(07-28-2020, 03:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And, unlawfully entered his coaches neighbors house.... Hilarious

Yeah, there's a reason he's the GOAT despite physical limitations. Recent photos of Joe working out with team mates makes me think he might have some of it in him. 

Players opting out do not forfeit their contracts. There pay is just rolled back one year.in 2020.

Players who opt out with a valid justification get $350K. Other players who opt out just get $150K
(07-28-2020, 12:42 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: All the opting out won’t matter when the season is cancelled or pushed into the spring, anyways.

Yup

I'd say there's a very good chance this season at a minimum is delayed a month or two. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ends up being cancelled.
(07-28-2020, 05:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

I'd say there's a very good chance this season at a minimum is delayed a month or two. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ends up being cancelled.

Delaying is probably a worse idea because they are predicting the virus to get worse as the weather cools.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(07-28-2020, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Players like Geno would forfeit millions and millions of dollars by opting out. According to the doctors, children are not nearly as susceptible to getting or spreading the virus, which is why the Natl. Council on Pediatrics says put kids back in school for their own good.  But, they each have to make their own decisions. Seems to me, with all the precautions and testing in place, it would be safer to play in the NFl than it would be to go to Krogers or Lowes....

Thinking the same, doesn't make sense to opt out. Like you said, probably safer to play and take your Hyrdrochloriquin (spelling?)
Let's hope Lou Anarumo opts out too. Nervous
(07-28-2020, 09:09 AM)pally Wrote: We are beginning to see players opt out of the 2020 season.  The Patriots just had their 4th player decide to skip.

Having a newborn in the house seems to be a theme so far.  We obviously have very little information on anyone with high-risk family members.  Geno Atkins has sickle trait which puts him at high risk.  Other players likely have type 2 diabetes or asthma.  Those big bodies on the OL and DL are more prone to blood clots.  

so what do you think....will we see any Bengal opt out

I decided to opt out of the virus altogether. I told it to go to hell! Or back to China, which the people who live there probably feel is hell.

Meanwhile, I'm living a normal life, although we do sanitize our house, office and cars every day, wear masks when we go to the store or where there are people close by, which really is rare for us.

(07-28-2020, 12:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I can only imagine the response around here if Burrow opts out lol

Fixed it for ya!
(07-28-2020, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players opting out do not forfeit their contracts.  There pay is just rolled back one year.in 2020.  

Players who opt out with a valid justification get $350K.  Other players who opt out just get $150K

Unless they are undrafted free agent rookies, in which case they receive no stipend.
(07-28-2020, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players opting out do not forfeit their contracts.  There pay is just rolled back one year.in 2020.  

Players who opt out with a valid justification get $350K.  Other players who opt out just get $150K

We can just say they get $350K. There's no way the NFL is going to say, your justification is not valid. 

WTS, I can easily see law suits to demand full salary.