Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options at 12?
Big Grin 
This is presuming we don't move up or down who do you like at 12 ? I will list of some names and I would love to hear other options/opinions. Please note that I don't watch college football so i begin this process fresh every year and I spend months reviewing tape/interviews/ and scheme fits so don't be offended if I leave someone off or list someone on your shit list. Cool

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1. Vita Vea NT/DE- Now this is a from a purely talent perspective and not scheme fit. I don't know if we go 3/4 or stay 4/3, but we like giant plugs and this guy is a stellar level of talent. Also I miss having Samoans on the team. He has the ability to play inside and out on the line so he fits those characteristics. I will say this pick is very unlikely because we just drafted Glasgow and Billings has the potential to play nose if he can stay healthy. That being said Billings hasn't shown himself to be reliably healthy so depending on the defensive scheme this could be one of the best potential picks in the draft.

2. Mike Nelson OT/G - Yes this is a play on words to include Mike McGlinchey and Quenton Nelson. Look I like Redmon and Westerman because I think both could turn into high level guards and play well. That being said I think if they are dead set on getting the best guard and Nelson is available he's one of the safest picks in the draft. McGlinchey is a by far the best tackle in this draft class, but I don't think he makes it out of top 10 because anyone that Needs a left tackle will try to jump us to get him and to be frank I don't think he's a top 15 talent. Boling can play the position and why not utilize a talent we already have instead of testing the waters with another guy at tackle. Better to spend a later pick and get a rotational guy who can build himself into a starter.

3. Roquon Smith LB - Like Vita Vea I don't know what direction the defense will go in and if he would be an ideal scheme fit moving forward, but he sure is talented. I doubt he makes it to 12 after testing, but he's one of the best linebacker talents to come out since luke and the guy sure can cover like no ones business.

4. Billy Price G/C - This seems to be the consistent front runner on these boards and I see why. Intelligent, extremely athletic for a center, and a great attitude. If that wasn't enough the guy is the best center in the draft and a blue chip prospect. I believe this guy will start shooting up the prospect board with testing and lane in the 10-20 range which is where all blue chip centers typically land. His value also comes with the ability to play guard which could land him right in our lap. If we draft a center in the top 10-20 I will honestly believe that the team has changed its stripes because this is exactly what they need.

5. Safety/Corner - I will lump these guys together because at this point I don't have any front runners and feel like this class seems pretty weak at corner especially, but some good safeties for sure. Fitzpatrick is a guy that really stands out but people already have him as a top 10 pick and while i think we should look at safety I think the Bengals are dead set on their guys with the possibility of picking up one in the later rounds. I can even say which corners I like because I really need to review the tape to see if anyone is worth a top 15 pick, but I won't be surprised if we over draft another corner this year with pacman likely out they need depth.

6. Defensive Ends - This class has a lot of first round defensive ends, but I haven't watched enough tape to give a clear pecking order. I know chubb will go top 10 and Key may fall to us, but the clemson guys and hubbard also could be viable options depending on how the testing goes. I would like to hear some opinions from more knowledgeable guys who have watched tape and understand DE. Also if we move to a hybrid 3/4 this could throw everything out the window.

7. Quarterback - This one seems like the most unlikely at 12, but this crop seems good and they will go fast. If a guy like Lamar Jackson or Rudolph( who i think will shoot up to top 20 in test ) is sitting there at 12 we have to at least consider it. I don't think our team would ever take the chance of losing a serviceable quarterback to get an allstar, but you never know. Lets also note that Dalton is locked into a fairly cheap contract and could be a possible trade piece if they fall in love with a guy. Maybe the Browns prefer a proven guy who has had success with Jackson ?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Roquan Smith
Derwin James (not gonna happen)
Mike McGlinchey (can probably trade down and still get him)
Billy Price
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:43 PM)Takedown Wrote: Roquan Smith
Derwin James (not gonna happen)
Mike McGlinchey (can probably trade down and still get him)
Billy Price

Im not sold on Derwin James as a scheme fit and he doesn't seem to have great coverage skills.  That said Williams is a huge liability for the team and I really never understood how a guy with his injuries got a long term contract.  Bend don't break was out the moment we lost Nelson.  Like TE I always felt this team doesn't overly value safeties and relies to much on corners.  

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:36 PM)Okeana Wrote: This is presuming we don't move up or down who do you like at 12 ?  I will list of some names and I would love to hear other options/opinions.  Please note that I don't watch college football so i begin this process fresh every year and I spend months reviewing tape/interviews/ and scheme fits so don't be offended if I leave someone off or list someone on your shit list.  Cool

1.  Vita Vea NT/DE-  Now this is a from a purely talent perspective and not scheme fit.  I don't know if we go 3/4 or stay 4/3, but we like giant plugs and this guy is a stellar level of talent.  Also I miss having Samoans on the team.  He has the ability to play inside and out on the line so he fits those characteristics.  I will say this pick is very unlikely because we just drafted Glasgow and Billings has the potential to play nose if he can stay healthy.   That being said Billings hasn't shown himself to be reliably healthy so depending on the defensive scheme this could be one of the best potential picks in the draft.

2.  Mike Nelson  OT/G -  Yes this is a play on words to include Mike McGlinchey and Quenton Nelson.  Look I like Redmon and Westerman because I think both could turn into high level guards and play well.  That being said I think if they are dead set on getting the best guard and Nelson is available he's one of the safest picks in the draft.  McGlinchey is a by far the best tackle in this draft class, but I don't think he makes it out of top 10 because anyone that Needs a left tackle will try to jump us to get him and to be frank I don't think he's a top 15 talent.  Boling can play the position and why not utilize a talent we already have instead of testing the waters with another guy at tackle.  Better to spend a later pick and get a rotational guy who can build himself into a starter.

3.  Roquon Smith LB -  Like Vita Vea I don't know what direction the defense will go in and if he would be an ideal scheme fit moving forward, but he sure is talented.  I doubt he makes it to 12 after testing, but he's one of the best linebacker talents to come out since luke and the guy sure can cover like no ones business.

4.  Billy Price  G/C -  This seems to be the consistent front runner on these boards and I see why.  Intelligent, extremely athletic for a center, and a great attitude.  If that wasn't enough the guy is the best center in the draft and a blue chip prospect.  I believe this guy will start shooting up the prospect board with testing and lane in the 10-20 range which is where all blue chip centers typically land.  His value also comes with the ability to play guard which could land him right in our lap.  If we draft a center in the top 10-20 I will honestly believe that the team has changed its stripes because this is exactly what they need.

5.  Safety/Corner - I will lump these guys together because at this point I don't have any front runners and feel like this class seems pretty weak at corner especially, but some good safeties for sure.  Fitzpatrick is a guy that really stands out but people already have him as a top 10 pick and while i think we should look at safety I think the Bengals are dead set on their guys with the possibility of picking up one in the later rounds.  I can even say which corners I like because I really need to review the tape to see if anyone is worth a top 15 pick, but I won't be surprised if we over draft another corner this year with pacman likely out they need depth.  

6.  Defensive Ends -  This class has a lot of first round defensive ends, but I haven't watched enough tape to give a clear pecking order.  I know chubb will go top 10 and Key may fall to us,  but the clemson guys and hubbard also could be viable options depending on how the testing goes.  I would like to hear some opinions from more knowledgeable guys who have watched tape and understand DE.  Also if we move to a hybrid 3/4 this could throw everything out the window.

7.  Quarterback -  This one seems like the most unlikely at 12, but this crop seems good and they will go fast.  If a guy like Lamar Jackson or Rudolph( who i think will shoot up to top 20 in test ) is sitting there at 12 we have to at least consider it. I don't think our team would ever take the chance of losing a serviceable quarterback to get an allstar, but you never know.  Lets also note that Dalton is locked into a fairly cheap contract and could be a possible trade piece if they fall in love with a guy.  Maybe the Browns prefer a proven guy who has had success with Jackson ?

If this team stays with a 4-3, I think Christian Wilkins and Maurice Hurst have to be in consideration. Elite 3T's. I'd look for a 3T over a DE unless that DE is named Bradley Chubb.
And I think the McGlinchey point should be expanded to whichever OT the Bengals like the most.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd like Price at 12. Not the sexiest pick but you have got to start building this OL from the middle sometime in this generation. RD 2 we have got to be movers, we need 2 picks in this RD. Best OT and either a safety or ILB.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:36 PM)Okeana Wrote: This is presuming we don't move up or down who do you like at 12 ? I will list of some names and I would love to hear other options/opinions. Please note that I don't watch college football so i begin this process fresh every year and I spend months reviewing tape/interviews/ and scheme fits so don't be offended if I leave someone off or list someone on your shit list. Cool

1. Vita Vea NT/DE- Now this is a from a purely talent perspective and not scheme fit. I don't know if we go 3/4 or stay 4/3, but we like giant plugs and this guy is a stellar level of talent. Also I miss having Samoans on the team. He has the ability to play inside and out on the line so he fits those characteristics. I will say this pick is very unlikely because we just drafted Glasgow and Billings has the potential to play nose if he can stay healthy. That being said Billings hasn't shown himself to be reliably healthy so depending on the defensive scheme this could be one of the best potential picks in the draft.

2. Mike Nelson OT/G - Yes this is a play on words to include Mike McGlinchey and Quenton Nelson. Look I like Redmon and Westerman because I think both could turn into high level guards and play well. That being said I think if they are dead set on getting the best guard and Nelson is available he's one of the safest picks in the draft. McGlinchey is a by far the best tackle in this draft class, but I don't think he makes it out of top 10 because anyone that Needs a left tackle will try to jump us to get him and to be frank I don't think he's a top 15 talent. Boling can play the position and why not utilize a talent we already have instead of testing the waters with another guy at tackle. Better to spend a later pick and get a rotational guy who can build himself into a starter.

3. Roquon Smith LB - Like Vita Vea I don't know what direction the defense will go in and if he would be an ideal scheme fit moving forward, but he sure is talented. I doubt he makes it to 12 after testing, but he's one of the best linebacker talents to come out since luke and the guy sure can cover like no ones business.

4. Billy Price G/C - This seems to be the consistent front runner on these boards and I see why. Intelligent, extremely athletic for a center, and a great attitude. If that wasn't enough the guy is the best center in the draft and a blue chip prospect. I believe this guy will start shooting up the prospect board with testing and lane in the 10-20 range which is where all blue chip centers typically land. His value also comes with the ability to play guard which could land him right in our lap. If we draft a center in the top 10-20 I will honestly believe that the team has changed its stripes because this is exactly what they need.

5. Safety/Corner - I will lump these guys together because at this point I don't have any front runners and feel like this class seems pretty weak at corner especially, but some good safeties for sure. Fitzpatrick is a guy that really stands out but people already have him as a top 10 pick and while i think we should look at safety I think the Bengals are dead set on their guys with the possibility of picking up one in the later rounds. I can even say which corners I like because I really need to review the tape to see if anyone is worth a top 15 pick, but I won't be surprised if we over draft another corner this year with pacman likely out they need depth.

6. Defensive Ends - This class has a lot of first round defensive ends, but I haven't watched enough tape to give a clear pecking order. I know chubb will go top 10 and Key may fall to us, but the clemson guys and hubbard also could be viable options depending on how the testing goes. I would like to hear some opinions from more knowledgeable guys who have watched tape and understand DE. Also if we move to a hybrid 3/4 this could throw everything out the window.

7. Quarterback - This one seems like the most unlikely at 12, but this crop seems good and they will go fast. If a guy like Lamar Jackson or Rudolph( who i think will shoot up to top 20 in test ) is sitting there at 12 we have to at least consider it. I don't think our team would ever take the chance of losing a serviceable quarterback to get an allstar, but you never know. Lets also note that Dalton is locked into a fairly cheap contract and could be a possible trade piece if they fall in love with a guy. Maybe the Browns prefer a proven guy who has had success with Jackson ?
1. Billy price best center in the draft 3rd best guard in the draft. Need I say more?
2. Derwin James. Elite elite covers skills, elite quickness(gets to his top speed in a quick second), above average ball skills, a huge hitting safety that can play lb or de and get production. 6"3 223 pounds. Before I watched his tape ppl told me Kam chancellor. No. As.much as I hate comparing hofers to rookies I have to on this one.the late great season taylor.im.not sure how u think his coverage skills are lacking he is extremely smart and always in the right position. He could play CB as well.
3. Raquan smith
4. No other none worth a top 15 pick. In a trade down Martina's Rankin best lt in class

.As far as cbs in first round, Denzel ward, Josh jackson(by far my favorite of this draft and last couple drafts) jaire Alexander, and tavarius mcfaddrn are prime cbs.
(01-05-2018, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this team stays with a 4-3, I think Christian Wilkins and Maurice Hurst have to be in consideration. Elite 3T's. I'd look for a 3T over a DE unless that DE is named Bradley Chubb.
And I think the McGlinchey point should be expanded to whichever OT the Bengals like the most.
No offense but please dont put mo Hurst and elite in the same breath. He's above average at best. Wilkins is good but still not top 15 talent. If Bradley Chubb falls to us, forget need, he better be the pick.
Reply/Quote
To me, Billy Price is probably the closest to a sure bet OLineman in the draft. Plus he carries leadership and a great attitude with him.
He is a must have IMO, so if we draft him at 12, I'm fine with it.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:30 PM)whodey1967 Wrote: To me, Billy Price is probably the closest to a sure bet OLineman in the draft. Plus he carries leadership and a great attitude with him.
He is a must have IMO, so if we draft him at 12, I'm fine with it.

Well, as a true OSU homer as you will ever find, I'm not so sure that I agree.  Price may develop into an effective NFL Center, but in my opinion, he won't be "day 1 ready", like you'd expect from a Center taken in the top half of the 1st round.

Oklahoma, Iowa, Michigan, and for most of the game Penn St. attacked the hell out of the center of the line, to find success.  And, I'm not so sure how he stacks up against any 3-4 NTs that he will face in the NFL.

I'm more sold on Ragnow from Arkansas.  He was a 4 year starter at Center for the Hogs, in a conference that has some of the fiercest fronts in College Football.  Did I also mention that Price only played one season at Center, and that in my opinion, he's no Pat Elfein?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:16 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd like Price at 12. Not the sexiest pick but you have got to start building this OL from the middle sometime in this generation. RD 2 we have got to be movers, we need 2 picks in this RD.  Best OT and either a safety or ILB.

if we do draft Price.....
i'd prefer we trade down to about 16....
then draft him...
I've seen a lot of mocks showing he goes 21 to Tenn
if another team wants him they should get ahead of the Titans for sure...
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, as a true OSU homer as you will ever find, I'm not so sure that I agree.  Price may develop into an effective NFL Center, but in my opinion, he won't be "day 1 ready", like you'd expect from a Center taken in the top half of the 1st round.

Oklahoma, Iowa, Michigan, and for most of the game Penn St. attacked the hell out of the center of the line, to find success.  And, I'm not so sure how he stacks up against any 3-4 NTs that he will face in the NFL.

I'm more sold on Ragnow from Arkansas.  He was a 4 year starter at Center for the Hogs, in a conference that has some of the fiercest fronts in College Football.  Did I also mention that Price only played one season at Center, and that in my opinion, he's no Pat Elfein?

it's hard to predict what the Bengals will do at this position....w/ Bodine a free agent & w/ the line being revamped it seems he wouldn't be back....
Price is ranked higher on the big boards but there might not be a big difference in the two...
be nice if we had a "pouncy" type center on this team....but no.....we shot our wad on 2 OT's that just can't get the job done...

maybe we can stay at 12.....get the BPA..... then in rd #2 or even 3 get Ragnow....? saw he may go in rds 2-3
Reply/Quote
Let us first assume we will not draft the best player available, and rather will draft for need. Obviously it is all dependent then upon how FA shakes out, so let's assume that we have zero losses or additions. If that is the case, I think that OL, ILB, or S would benefit the most.
Reply/Quote
This is a tough one.

If it was me, I would go in this order provided they were all available:

1. Quentin Nelson. I iike what Westerman and Boling did the last 2 games. That being said, this guy is as good of a draft prospect at OG that I have ever seen. Better then DeCastro, who I was begging them to draft.

2. Billy Price. I fully admit that this is probably too high, but if he truly is the best center in the draft and is worthy of a top 20 pick, I'd grab him. I'm so sick of Bodine and the poor C play over the last few years.

3. Orlando Brown.

4. Derwin James.

I want nothing to do with Connor Williams or McGlinchey. I've watched them both and I think they will both struggle in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, as a true OSU homer as you will ever find, I'm not so sure that I agree.  Price may develop into an effective NFL Center, but in my opinion, he won't be "day 1 ready", like you'd expect from a Center taken in the top half of the 1st round.

No he's much much better than elflien, who I was big in the months leading up to draft that I wanted us to take. Go watch the games. He's not the one getting beat, it's his guards. Osu playing with a backup lg almost all season and a garbage ass rg. He was the only good player on the interior oline.he gave up 4 qb pressures and 1 sack in entire year before the bowl game. Hell be a day one starter.
Reply/Quote

reference https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Centers-2018-Draft.asp LMAO

Reply/Quote
So I reviewed a lot of tape on Offensive lineman last night and clearly the top guy in this class is Nelson and its not really close. What i love best about him is that even when he loses the position battle he almost always salvages the play and very rarely loses. He is also a stud when it comes to pulling and he is so functionally strong that he almost always gets penetration on run blocks. Westerman is always a viable option on either side at guard or could even be tested at center which may be a fit for him as well. I think price will land in the 20+ range and the Bengals could trade up if that's their guy for center. The tackles in this class are just average at best and I wouldn't invest any high picks in guys. This could change after testing, but very unlikely

Reply/Quote
What do you guys think about Joshua Jackson the CB out of Iowa. With injury concerns and pacman basically gone at this point would Jackson be a viable option at 12. Lets not pretend like this isn't an area of need even if Offensive line is obviously the most needed area of improvement.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:49 PM)Okeana Wrote: What do you guys think about Joshua Jackson the CB out of Iowa.  With injury concerns and pacman basically gone at this point would Jackson be a viable option at 12.  Lets not pretend like this isn't an area of need even if Offensive line is obviously the most needed area of improvement.

I think CB is a strong possibility at 12.  It is right in the Bengals wheelhouse, obviously and like you said, there is definite need.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Orlando Brown Jr.
Christian Wilkins
Roquan Smith
Billy Price
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this team stays with a 4-3, I think Christian Wilkins and Maurice Hurst have to be in consideration. Elite 3T's. I'd look for a 3T over a DE unless that DE is named Bradley Chubb.

I'm with Ocho if they like a tackle at 12 he should definitely be the pick. If not I'd lean toward an inside pass rusher.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote:
If this team stays with a 4-3, I think Christian Wilkins and Maurice Hurst have to be in consideration. Elite 3T's. I'd look for a 3T over a DE unless that DE is named Bradley Chubb.

While you can never have "too many pass rushers", I think that it's also worth noting that the Bengals had big trouble stopping the run this season.  

Ya gotta put 'em in passing stiuations, in order for pass rushers to be a factor..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote