Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando Brown JR been a bright spot
(01-05-2024, 01:46 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This was definitely a down year for Brown, but it was somehow an improvement for us at LT.

Both tackles have had their lowest graded seasons. 
Cappa has had his lowest passing grade as a starter.
Cordell has graded out worse than he did his rookie year.

Overall, very rough year for the line.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 02:13 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Both tackles have had their lowest graded seasons. 

What's worse is this is probably the most talented OL we've put in front of Burrow. Duke and Zac need to sit down together and figure out exactly what they need to do to fix this OL. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 02:18 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What's worse is this is probably the most talented OL we've put in front of Burrow. Duke and Zac need to sit down together and figure out exactly what they need to do to fix this OL. 
Start with Pollack being and adjustments with Burrow under center, better play action and rpos from Burrow and get him out of pocket more and finally draft better this draft on Oline.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Meh. I as excited when we added him, but he regressed this year. Like so many FA OL signed before him. Stank Polyp needs to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 10:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He also had the groin issue, and played next to a terrible Volson for the first half of the season (Cordell was better down the stretch). It was likely a multitude of factors.

Agreed. I just have seen enough of pollack. He wasn’t good when Marv was the HC and he’s not good now. He’s gotten by off the coattails of that amazing O-line in Dallas. He needs to go. Pronto
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 10:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: Brown was a great acquisition and did well. If you want to understand why subjective PFF scores sent down on our linemen look at the offensive system we use. The major run-pass imbalance combined with the strong tendency towards spread shotgun looks and our tendency to give the play away by the formation give a scheme/system that is VERY hard for ANY OL to be truly effective. Unless the system changes it won't matter who the line coach is.

There is no way you could have watched every game and had the takeaway that he did well. When you pay a free agent tackle that kind of money, you expect them to be good on the outside and hold their own, regardless of scheme. Not lead the league in pressures given up. While we do pass a lot, we had the 7th most pass attempts. So it's not like we are far and above the #1 throwing team that would skew those stats. 

In addition, especially in games Burrow played, we were getting the ball out quicker than any other team. So it's even worse to give up pressures when you're throwing 2 yard routes. 

We were told all off-season by "hater" Chief fans and even some Ravens fans that Orlando Brown was overrated. After a year, I'd have to agree with them. His reputation far exceeds the player we saw. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:21 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Reading the thread, I was basically going to say everything Nicomo said.
Injured
Played injured
Played next to Volson
Goin' solo---going from memory--- It seemed that if we were going to have Sample stay in and block on passing downs . . . it was next to Williams, but I could be wrong. It may have been 50-50 and I just never noticed it.

There were a lot of games this year that I had no interest in watching a second time.

I'm a Mixon guy, but I expect him to be ''Marshall Faulk'' and the Bengals go and get their ''Edgerrin James''. I am not calling Mixon a Hall Of Famer . . . I'm just saying, they had a young veteran RB help Manning get to a certain point and then picked up the guy that was going to be Manning's main back up plan for the bulk of his career. It would be nice to get that line sorted out first, though.
He missed 1 game due to the injury...if we are going to use this an excuse for his poor play, I guarantee you we will be able to find an injury excuse every year for him. It's the NFL..what guys don't miss time and are impacted by injuries? 

Going solo...we paid him high-end free agent money to go solo. When we signed him, many thought we were getting a pro-bowl caliber tackle who could hold down the edge. Not a high paid LT that needed double teams to succeed. Come on, if somebody told you in the preseason OBJ couldn't hold up 1v1, you would have called them a hater like so many Chiefs and Ravens fans tried to tell us. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:17 AM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Going solo...we paid him high-end free agent money to go solo. When we signed him, many thought we were getting a pro-bowl caliber tackle who could hold down the edge. Not a high paid LT that needed double teams to succeed. Come on, if somebody told you in the preseason OBJ couldn't hold up 1v1, you would have called them a hater like so many Chiefs and Ravens fans tried to tell us. 

https://i.imgur.com/uxbpakW.gif

https://i.imgur.com/yA44GRH.gif

OBJ getting absolutely smoked by Karlaftis on the Bengals last critical possession. Smoked. 

Twice.

Big drive, knowing the Chiefs were going to full out rush (actually only rushing 4 on both of these plays),, needing to protect,, OBJ couldn't handle the speed.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 10:16 AM)Bengal Billy Wrote: https://i.imgur.com/uxbpakW.gif

https://i.imgur.com/yA44GRH.gif

OBJ getting absolutely smoked by Karlaftis on the Bengals last critical possession. Smoked. 

Twice.

Big drive, knowing the Chiefs were going to full out rush (actually only rushing 4 on both of these plays),, needing to protect,, OBJ couldn't handle the speed.

I'm so tired of the BS about how this team is a SB contender. This team needs fixes from the ownership, scouting, coaches, play calling, scheme and probably 50% of the players to be a serious contender. Those two clips are very telling. Notice how we don't have any defensive players that make plays like that outside of Trey at times? This team is in rebuild mode believe it or not and no telling if Burrow comes back as himself. He may never be the same player. What if he has a setback in his wrist rehab? Then it's another lost season.

Important that the lineman that gets smoked is always there to help the QB up off the turf, very important. Sad
If AJ and JB6 aren't the answer as backups then maybe they should be thinking about drafting another QB come April if JB9 won't be ready.
Reply/Quote
We paid top dollar and he was not even great, would be hard to argue for good even. I can see why my KC diehard friend was happy to see him go. He said he cannot handle speed rush and it showed.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 11:07 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: I'm so tired of the BS about how this team is a SB contender. This team needs fixes from the ownership, scouting, coaches, play calling, scheme and probably 50% of the players to be a serious contender. Those two clips are very telling. Notice how we don't have any defensive players that make plays like that outside of Trey at times? This team is in rebuild mode believe it or not and no telling if Burrow comes back as himself. He may never be the same player. What if he has a setback in his wrist rehab? Then it's another lost season.

Important that the lineman that gets smoked is always there to help the QB up off the turf, very important. Sad
If AJ and JB6 aren't the answer as backups then maybe they should be thinking about drafting another QB come April if JB9 won't be ready.

Too funny to even comment
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 02:13 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Both tackles have had their lowest graded seasons. 

The first 3 or 4 games were rough on the OL. RPO shotgun offense with a QB that couldnt move and couldnt throw the ball further than 10 yards. Didn't help that the OL wasn't really allowed to second level block because of the heavy amount RPOs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 02:36 PM)Synric Wrote: The first 3 or 4 games were rough on the OL. RPO shotgun offense with a QB that couldnt move and couldnt throw the ball further than 10 yards. Didn't help that the OL wasn't really allowed to second level block because of the heavy amount RPOs.

Performance wise, you could say that applies to Volson, who was terrible during that period, and maybe Karras, who also struggled a bit out of the gate...but Orlando's most significant struggles happened in games 7-11. Cappa's last 3 games have been worse than those first 3, and Jonah's last 6 games were much worse than his first 6. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 03:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Performance wise, you could say that applies to Volson, who was terrible during that period, and maybe Karras, who also struggled a bit out of the gate...but Orlando's most significant struggles happened in games 7-11. Cappa's last 3 games have been worse than those first 3, and Jonah's last 6 games were much worse than his first 6. 

That doesn't surprise me. That's what Seattle through Baltimore? Games where Joe was running his heavy spread passing offense getting empty sets back and looking downfield.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Cincinnati is where FA oline come to die, who the hell is signing with us now unless they want to regress
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 02:18 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: What's worse is this is probably the most talented OL we've put in front of Burrow. Duke and Zac need to sit down together and figure out exactly what they need to do to fix this OL. 

1st step new line coach
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 12:44 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 1st step new line coach

I'd have no problem with a change, but I feel like Pollack will be here next season. It sounds like the FO basically told Zac that Pollack was going to be the new OL coach when they brought him back in 2021. He has fans in the FO so we'll see.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote