Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Orlando Brown Jr
(11-24-2023, 04:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: OB and Karras having to play next to Volson doesn’t help.

Exactly

Volson is by far the biggest problem. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Orlando Brown Jr. got himself a new 4-yr contract worth $ 16 million a year,  and a signing bonus to the tune of $ 31.1 million. The dude is getting paid guaranteed money, so he's not pushing himself to get better.  He's not going to put in the effort until the 3rd year, so for now expect him to just go through the motions.   That's one of the biggest problems I have with this league and the money these guys make.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 10:51 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Orlando Brown Jr. got himself a new 4-yr contract worth $ 16 million a year,  and a signing bonus to the tune of $ 31.1 million. The dude is getting paid guaranteed money, so he's not pushing himself to get better.  He's not going to put in the effort until the 3rd year, so for now expect him to just go through the motions.   That's one of the biggest problems I have with this league and the money these guys make.

The guy is playing through a groin injury.  If he didn't care or just wanted to collect a check, he'd shut it down until he healed up.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 10:51 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Orlando Brown Jr. got himself a new 4-yr contract worth $ 16 million a year,  and a signing bonus to the tune of $ 31.1 million. The dude is getting paid guaranteed money, so he's not pushing himself to get better.  He's not going to put in the effort until the 3rd year, so for now expect him to just go through the motions.   That's one of the biggest problems I have with this league and the money these guys make.

Terrible take.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 12:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: The guy is playing through a groin injury.  If he didn't care or just wanted to collect a check, he'd shut it down until he healed up.  

OK "Whatever", This guy has been hot garbage since game 1, with zero improvement.  So much hype from him coming from a Super Bowl team at LT protecting Maholmes, and he looks lazy.  Groin injury or not he's still getting paid as the most underachiever in the league.  So far OBjr., is a huge underachieving disappointment and will have us down to our third-string QB if he doesn't get his act together real fast.  Really, I'd rather see him and Jonah flip,  if OBjr., groin is that bad, but I have a feeling that's just an excuse.

In the Baltimore game, he was getting eaten alive by Van Noy and Oweh in its entirety.   BUT---- OBjr is still gettin' paid for 4-years with a fat signing bonus, so he's got it made in the shade.  He needs to step it up now that a backup is in there b/c he's partly responsible for turning Burrow into another David Kingler.

I hope he proves me wrong against the Squeelers, but I'm not holding my breath.
Reply/Quote

Dude, go watch some interviews with the guy. He still has the fire in his belly to play hard and win. He's hurt.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 04:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Pollack Effect:

Orlando Brown JR;
Year before Pollack: 75.8
1st Year w/ Pollack: 63.9

Alex Cappa:
Before: 73.4
1st YR W/: 67.6

Ted Karras
Before: 72.2
After: 62.6

Most on here believe Pollack has not been the answer for the Oline, there are a few that still can't seem to accept that..
Reply/Quote
Brown has been better than what we have had at LT and actually Williams has done good enough at RT but has he played to level he should be no, even before the groin issue, he had not performanced at top tier LT but again was good enough, lets hope he get move his game up last part of season to help Browning more.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 04:17 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: What part did Brown play in Joes injury?

It was Williams who let Clowney get the late hit in and when it snapped on the TD play Brown did his job in protecting Burrow’s blind side.

Has the line been shut? Yes but I put that down to coaching and the front office drafting wasters. But Brown has been the best lineman we have this season and don’t forget he’s playing next to a kid who is nowhere near good enough to be starting.

As for problems that need fixing before Brown how about everyone who throws a pass against us seems to complete it for 30 yards? Or the fact we’ve forgotten how to stop the run?

Jonah should have been LT. Bc then it would be Burrows no throwing hand that got hurt. Chess not checkers Zac 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 11:17 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most on here believe Pollack has not been the answer for the Oline, there are a few that still can't seem to accept that..

Here’s the issue. All of the Cincinnati offensive linemen had stellar college careers and, in the case of the veteran linemen with NFL experience with other teams, they were accomplished on their own teams.

These accomplished linemen come to Cincinnati and devolve into mediocrity or worse.

It’s the scheme and it’s the coaching.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 12:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Here’s the issue. All of the Cincinnati offensive linemen had stellar college careers and, in the case of the veteran linemen with NFL experience with other teams, they were accomplished on their own teams.

These accomplished linemen come to Cincinnati and devolve into mediocrity or worse.

It’s the scheme and it’s the coaching.

But were they actually accomplished? BOTH Baltimore AND KC fans were glad to be rid of ORlando Brown Jr.

He may have graded okay because he blocked for Lamar and mahomes the two most elusive quarterbacks in the league. But both fan bases were good to be rid of him.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 11:17 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most on here believe Pollack has not been the answer for the Oline, there are a few that still can't seem to accept that..

I’ve always been one of the bigger Pollack guys on this board, but I’ve gone on record several times saying I’d be perfectly fine with replacing him. I’d completely understand making that move. What I don’t understand is why he gets all the blame from so many of the fans, and Duke is completely let off the hook. If the guy that assembles the OL is completely terrible at drafting the players, and he only brings in middling, unathletic FA’s to play in a system that doesn’t fit them at all, then the coach can only do so much.

So if they replace Pollack, but keep doing everything else exactly the same, then we will just be sitting here blaming the 4th OL coach in 7 years all over again.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 03:16 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: OK "Whatever", This guy has been hot garbage since game 1, with zero improvement.  So much hype from him coming from a Super Bowl team at LT protecting Maholmes, and he looks lazy.  Groin injury or not he's still getting paid as the most underachiever in the league.  So far OBjr., is a huge underachieving disappointment and will have us down to our third-string QB if he doesn't get his act together real fast.  Really, I'd rather see him and Jonah flip,  if OBjr., groin is that bad, but I have a feeling that's just an excuse.

In the Baltimore game, he was getting eaten alive by Van Noy and Oweh in its entirety.   BUT---- OBjr is still gettin' paid for 4-years with a fat signing bonus, so he's got it made in the shade.  He needs to step it up now that a backup is in there b/c he's partly responsible for turning Burrow into another David Kingler.

I hope he proves me wrong against the Squeelers, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you knew anything at all about football, you would know that he gave up a total of 14 pressures and 1 sack in his first 6 games, then gave up 26 pressures and 2 sacks in the last 4, since he went out against Seattle with a groin injury. 

Those numbers alone, regardless of anything else you could say, prove how stupid the highlighted sentence is. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The Commanders just fired Del Rio. The Bengals need to fire Pollack. He is the common piece of our poor OL play since he has been here.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 02:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve always been one of the bigger Pollack guys on this board, but I’ve gone on record several times saying I’d be perfectly fine with replacing him. I’d completely understand making that move. What I don’t understand is why he gets all the blame from so many of the fans, and Duke is completely let off the hook. If the guy that assembles the OL is completely terrible at drafting the players, and he only brings in middling, unathletic FA’s to play in a system that doesn’t fit them at all, then the coach can only do so much.

So if they replace Pollack, but keep doing everything else exactly the same, then we will just be sitting here blaming the 4th OL coach in 7 years all over again.

I think it is harder to separate the amount of years Pollack has coached the line plus the larger investment we have actually point into the line especially with FA and draft picks under Pollack time period of being a bengals coach vs Tobin FA and draft picks.

I agree Tobin should get some blame also but what lineman can we really think of under Pollack FA or draft pick that really has played at a high level.. that to me is the issue more than Tobin especially since our FAs seem to play worse here than in other places.. I remember Pollack saying he has glass eater times now and it sure does not seem like they have played that way under him... first time for a change it feels at Oline coach to see if we see any difference.
Reply/Quote
He’s hurt

No way that groin is 100%

He’s still not allowing sacks so it is what it is imo. He’s also doing double work cause Volson is so worthless
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Dude is obviously fighting injury. He has a big enough sample size that proves his most recent 3-4 games stretch is an anomaly. Trash article.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 08:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dude is obviously fighting injury. He has a big enough sample size that proves his most recent 3-4 games stretch is an anomaly. Trash article.

He is not even showing up on injury report in over 4 weeks i pretty sure, so can;t buy his groin is still much of an issue or he would have be showing up on injury report...
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 01:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Terrible take.

This thread is funny.

Is Brown an elite tackle? No.

But, he's definately one of the better ones.

On pressures...guys are going to give up pressures and sacks. It happens.

Here's something people don't talk about in regards to pressure: Burrows style is going to lead to more pressures and sacks. And Zacs playcalling will also.

On the line: Volson sucks. Karras and Cappa are average. Brown is above average to good. Jonah is a free agent.

So likely need to replace Volson and Williams.

And it's not like elite guys hit free agency.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 09:48 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Dude, go watch some interviews with the guy. He still has the fire in his belly to play hard and win. He's hurt.

I don't put stock in interviews since nobody comes out and says, "I don't really care since I'm already rich. Just keep paying the greenbacks and I'll phone it in."
Other than that I agree. He's been hurting..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote