Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando Brown
(03-03-2018, 08:51 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Yeah. I just don't think the Bengals will be the one to take that gamble. The Bengals draft history has shown that they value the bench press as far as their draft picks on the offensive line are concerned. Maybe that will change with Alexander gone, but I'm guessing it doesn't. 

Tbh, I was thinking the same. Although with PA gone, who knows. He was always the one drooling over bench press (see Blodine).

(03-03-2018, 10:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been down on the guy, from the onset of the offseason.  I stand by my description of Orlando Brown as a "big fat oaf that doesn't move well, and get's his ass kicked in the running game".  And now I can add, "he can barely manage to push less than 2/3 of his weight around", and "he had the weakest vertical and broad jumps for an OL in combine history".  If the guy was trying to tank the combine, he succeeded.

[Image: well-dang.jpg]
LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The site I follow had Brown as a mid teens prospect before the combine. They have moved him down on their board all the way to number 71 now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:44 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The site I follow had Brown as a mid teens prospect before the combine.  They have moved him down on their board all the way to number 71 now.

What's your site?

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What's your site?

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board
Reply/Quote
My mock will probably have Vita Vea in the 1st and Brown Jr. in the 2nd and probably Price in the late 3rd.

Brown Jr had a horrible workout and so did Andre Smith. The Bengals aren't going to write a guy off just for that. They'll be intrigued with the size and have already seen a ton of tape on him from scouting Mixon.

I think they have very good (and affordable) guard prospects in Westerman and Redmond and am not sure a premium pick at guard is worth it, nor will Nelson fall to them.
Reply/Quote
IMO folks are tripping. Dude had a bad day at the office; that's it. Watch him play; he puts dudes on their backs, and gave up 0 sacks this year. If we are lucky he'll be there for our 2nd pick, but I doubt it. Who doesn't want Jonathan Ogden on their team?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 01:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO folks are tripping. Dude had a bad day at the office; that's it. Watch him play; he puts dudes on their backs, and gave up 0 sacks this year. If we are lucky he'll be there for our 2nd pick, but I doubt it. Who doesn't want Jonathan Ogden on their team?

A real bad day at the office yet agree. 

He is not quite as bad as his combine suggests and should still be on radar except for first.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 02:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: In 3rd would still like Brown and would love him in 4th.

2nd if everybody else is gone of interest.

Still hope we take Nelson, Wynn, or Edmunds in 1st.

Would not be upset if we traded up to get Nelson either if he slipped to 5th or 6th.

I'd be okay with him in the 4th.  I'd add James to your list of 1st rounders.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 01:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So...any interest in this guy now that it looks like he'll tumble out of the first due to horrible combine numbers?

I mean, this guy is 6'7" and 345 lbs. He isn't going to run a quick 40 lol. The bench reps (14) are disappointing, but (a) tall guys (longer arms) have a tougher time with that and (b) Bodine had how many reps?

I'd consider this guy in the 2nd and I'd fly to the stage in the 3rd.

Makes me question his intelligence (or his agent's) as to why he would participate in the combine if they knew his numbers would be that poor.  Why not focus on his Pro Day?

I am not sure that his tape shows a dominant NFL tackle, even on the right side.  He struggled with speed at Oklahoma.  I think if the Bengals moved him to RT, speed rushers would follow him and torment him.  Big and strong are great assets, but he isn't that strong and he isn't a natural knee bender.  I might risk the third rounder to see if he can be developed, but I see huge bust potential.  The simple fact is most players that don't meet certain criteria struggle in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 01:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO folks are tripping. Dude had a bad day at the office; that's it. Watch him play; he puts dudes on their backs, and gave up 0 sacks this year. If we are lucky he'll be there for our 2nd pick, but I doubt it. Who doesn't want Jonathan Ogden on their team?

If he's still there in the 2nd, we better be scooting quick to the podium.
He's a RT all the way, a bad combine just works in our favor, so we better take an advantage of it if he slips to the 2nd.
Yes, maybe he has some motivational issues, but when you are really good at your position and you aren't feeling challenged by the other player, it can get boring. Look at tape from him vs NFL caliber players. No motivational issues there.
Reply/Quote
This will cause guys to go back to the tape and question what they saw, but I think in the end he goes somewhere between 2nd and 3rd. I read an interesting article where they explained the question every prospect gets asked by teams is who is the one guy from your team you'd want to play with in the NFL. They use that to gauge if teammates like guys and they expect the best guys on a team to get picked the most. If they aren't at the top then they go back and start questioning the guy. I wonder where Brown fell? I know Mayfield vouched for him after the combine.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Makes me question his intelligence (or his agent's) as to why he would participate in the combine if they knew his numbers would be that poor.  Why not focus on his Pro Day?

I am not sure that his tape shows a dominant NFL tackle, even on the right side.  He struggled with speed at Oklahoma.  I think if the Bengals moved him to RT, speed rushers would follow him and torment him.  Big and strong are great assets, but he isn't that strong and he isn't a natural knee bender.  I might risk the third rounder to see if he can be developed, but I see huge bust potential.  The simple fact is most players that don't meet certain criteria struggle in the NFL.  

I see a guy with an Andre Smith problem, never in condition. 
Reply/Quote
Goodell just ran a 5.41 in a suit. Pretty sad Brown got smoked by a 60 year old.
Reply/Quote
I think this guy will fall a long ways after that showing.

A giant with no strength or athleticism is a giant gamble anywhere before the 3rd IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:59 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If he's still there in the 2nd, we better be scooting quick to the podium.
He's a RT all the way, a bad combine just works in our favor, so we better take an advantage of it if he slips to the 2nd.
Yes, maybe he has some motivational issues, but when you are really good at your position and you aren't feeling challenged by the other player, it can get boring. Look at tape from him vs NFL caliber players. No motivational issues there.

Great, let's hope the Browns take him.  Carlos Dunlap will be licking his chops in anticipation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 01:49 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Goodell just ran a 5.41 in a suit. Pretty sad Brown got smoked by a 60 year old.

You know the guy holding the stopwatch gave his boss a favorable time. No way Goodell ran a legit 5.41. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:52 AM)pledgi Wrote: I'd be okay with him in the 4th.  I'd add James to your list of 1st rounders.  

Would not be upset with James even though believe OL and LB are our immediate needs. 

Of course do not know how Bengals board stacks up.  If they like an OL and/or LB that they think will be available in later rounds as well as the ones in 1st round ?  Then it offers up a chance to take a different position early which would be great. 

Do not hate James at all and will not fuss if picked. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You know the guy holding the stopwatch gave his boss a favorable time. No way Goodell ran a legit 5.41. 

Was Goodell wearing dress shoes?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 02:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Was Goodell wearing dress shoes?

No, sneakers.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, let's hope the Browns take him.  Carlos Dunlap will be licking his chops in anticipation.

That would suck for Dunlap, motivational issues or not, Brown hasn't allowed a sack this year.
Reply/Quote