Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osemele at guard?
Just throwing it out there, but, would taking a chance at signing Osemele after the season make sense? As long as his rehab looks positive and a new contract is incentive-based it might add some nice depth, if not a possible starter. Bengals need OL.
Reply/Quote
8 years and only 2 with 16 games played. Not a good risk for a guy who'll be 31.

I'd rather throw a big pile of money at Anthony Costanzo and Brandon Scherff while retaining Trey Hopkins.

LT: Anthony Costanzo
LG: Jonah Williams
C: Trey Hopkins
RG: Brandon Scherff
RT: 2020 2nd Round Pick

Then you just need to trade down from the 2nd Overall pick and use that King's Ransom to trade up with multiple picks to get the best 3 LBs you possibly can.

Then you're just a competent coaching staff away from competing again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 8 years and only 2 with 16 games played. Not a good risk for a guy who'll be 31.

I'd rather throw a big pile of money at Anthony Costanzo and Brandon Scherff while retaining Trey Hopkins.

LT: Anthony Costanzo
LG: Jonah Williams
C: Trey Hopkins
RG: Brandon Scherff
RT: 2020 2nd Round Pick

Then you just need to trade down from the 2nd Overall pick and use that King's Ransom to trade up with multiple picks to get the best 3 LBs you possibly can.

Then you're just a competent coaching staff away from competing again.

There is like 0% chance the team moves Jonah Williams to LG. He will be one of our Tackles IF healthy.

Honestly, I would venture to guess that Miller will be at Guard and Hart at RT. Just how the Bengals roll.

In your scenario...why wouldn't you put Williams at RT and then either a draft pick at Guard or a free agent or Miller?
Reply/Quote
Gotta make a move for osemele..our oline is to bad not to.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is like 0% chance the team moves Jonah Williams to LG. He will be one of our Tackles IF healthy.

Honestly, I would venture to guess that Miller will be at Guard and Hart at RT. Just how the Bengals roll.

In your scenario...why wouldn't you put Williams at RT and then either a draft pick at Guard or a free agent or Miller?

Out of the 47 OL who did the bench press at the combine, Williams was only better than 15 of them (including everyone's favorite G Michael Jordan). That's why I wouldn't put Williams at RT. 

I know bench press at the combine isn't gospel for performance, but I don't think he has the weight/strength to be a beast RT.

Just really hesitant to rely on Jonah Williams to be any good after picks like Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price and talent evaluation that led to Hart, Redmond, and Johnson. It seems much safer to just assume he's going to be terrible.

The only Bengals OL who deserves to even have a job in 2020 is Trey Hopkins. That's it.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Out of the 47 OL who did the bench press at the combine, Williams was only better than 15 of them (including everyone's favorite G Michael Jordan). That's why I wouldn't put Williams at RT. 

I know bench press at the combine isn't gospel for performance, but I don't think he has the weight/strength to be a beast RT.

Just really hesitant to rely on Jonah Williams to be any good after picks like Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price and talent evaluation that led to Hart, Redmond, and Johnson. It seems much safer to just assume he's going to be terrible.

The only Bengals OL who deserves to even have a job in 2020 is Trey Hopkins. That's it.

I just don't see them putting him at OT.

re: Bench Press for Tackles - I listen to a lot of podcasts and this one particular trainer trains lineman a lot and with their arms so long...some can only bench in the 300 lb range and it's really not a big deal. There are so many more performance indicators other than bench press.

Interestingly Hopkins is a free agent. It will be interesting to see if some team offers him a large contract.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just don't see them putting him at OT.

re: Bench Press for Tackles - I listen to a lot of podcasts and this one particular trainer trains lineman a lot and with their arms so long...some can only bench in the 300 lb range and it's really not a big deal. There are so many more performance indicators other than bench press.

Interestingly Hopkins is a free agent. It will be interesting to see if some team offers him a large contract.

Which is why it is an issue for Jonah Williams when he didn't do well on the Bench. Straight from his NFL Draft Profile...

Weaknesses
  • Some concerns by evaluators regarding lack of arm length

As I said, I recognize that it's not the only indication of success, but between it and their OL talent evaluation in the franchise the last half-decade, it is not inspiring confidence that Williams will come in and be some saving grace for the OL in 2020.

Reply/Quote
They arent going to play Jonah at Guard. No way.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:18 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Gotta make a move for osemele..our oline is to bad not to.

You are aware that he recently had surgery for a torn labrum, correct?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 11:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You are aware that he recently had surgery for a torn labrum, correct?

That, and whatever else the Ortho found while he was in there fixing things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I say sign him... this year already over. at least start preparing for next year. i mean isnt that what ur doing when u trade anyone for picks. Osemele on our offensive line would be a major boost for next year. Jonah at tackle with osemele, gotta re sign hopkins, then draft another tackle early and cross your fingers with price. The line if handled properly could be pretty good going into next year but i have little hope. but some of the comments in here on this one are ridiculous. We should def sign this guy have him get healthy and be ready for next year. He right now probably even with a torn labrum far and away better than any olineman we have other than hopkins excluded. Start preparing for next year cuz this year was over after the second round of the draft.
Reply/Quote