Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ossai?
Whats up with him? I know he was coming off an injury but that was weeks ago. He seems like a shell of his former rising self from the last 2 yrs.
To go deep into playoffs we will need him back to his former self. We need a good rotation and depth heading into playoffs
Reply/Quote
Just not playing much.

Not sure if he's hurt or just pushed down the depth chart, but he only played 4 snaps against the Bills and 9 against the 49ers. He has played 12.36% of the defensive snaps this year after playing 32.24% last year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Kind of feels like Lou and Hobby are higher on Murphy than they are Ossai. At least going off snap % anyway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Maybe they want him extra fresh for the stretch run?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kind of feels like Lou and Hobby are higher on Murphy than they are Ossai. At least going off snap % anyway.

I seen this yesterday I usually don't put much faith in "win rate" stats but it could be just practice and tape earnings Murphy the reps. Cameron Sample is still out snapping both of them. 

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Makes me wonder if that preseason injury isn't still nagging him or the coaches know something about it that we aren't privy to and are limiting his snap count until he's full-go?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 12:31 PM)Synric Wrote: I seen this yesterday I usually don't put much faith in "win rate" stats but it could be just practice and tape earnings Murphy the reps. Cameron Sample is still out snapping both of them. 

But but but.... Murphy is a bust..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
RJ3 looked so good in PS.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Murphy seems to be coming on and Sample is a good rotation player. Ossai may just be getting out played and why the low snap count. The good news is ossai should have fresh legs so maybe he comes on in the second half of the year for us.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 01:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Murphy seems to be coming on and Sample is a good rotation player. Ossai may just be getting out played and why the low snap count. The good news is ossai should have fresh legs so maybe he comes on in the second half of the year for us.

Yep. This is what I am going with, plus the early injury. 

Schematically, Lou likes proper DEs. Guys who can set the edge & have some size. He generally does not go for OLB/Edge types. Ossai has bulked up some, but Murphy & Sample are around 10 pounds heavier. Heck, last year in the WC game Hendrickson got yanked for Sample because Lou eanted better run defense. 

Point being, on early downs, Ossai is not gonna get much time at DE. Hendrickson is Hendrickson, Hubbard is an elite run defending DE, and Sample & Murphy are bigger & stronger. Inside & early makes no sense. Reader, Hill, & Tupou are all better options. Carter has not made many splash plays, but he is much more consistent than last year. Ossai's only real role if everyone is good to go is 3rd down pass rush. 

Even there, Hendrickson is elite. Hubbard & Hill have 4 sacks each. Reader does a good job pushing the pocket. Sample & Hubbard can both bump inside. Murphy is a 1st round pick with elite physical tools who is improving. 

Murphy's talent & Sample's versatility have him at #5 at DE atm. 

Player: Snaps, Tackles: Combo/solo, TFL, Sacks/Hits
1. Hubbard: 406,  37: 25/12, 4, 4/13
2. BJ Hill, 379, 19: 12/7, 2, 4/13
3. Hendrickson, 360,  23: 14/9, 8, 8/12
4. Reader, 320, 20: 13/7, 2, 1/5.
----------
5. Carter, 213, 8: 4/4, 1, 0/1
6. C. Sample: 170, 9: 5/4, 1, 1/3
7. Tupou: 120, 5: 2/3, 0, 0/1
8. Murphy, 85,  5: 4/1, 1, 1/1
9. Ossai, 64, 3: 2/1, 0, 0/2
10. Tufele, 35, 4: 3/1, 0, 0/0

I don't have access to win rates & such. I just think he is gonna have to outperform Murphy & Sample to get more snaps & right now those two guys are playing pretty well. 

PFF, ytd.
1. Hendrickson: 89.4 
2. Hubbard: 67.6 
3. C. Sample: 61.5 
4. Murphy: 55.5
5. Ossai: 53.6

Ossai probably started slow due the injury, so that hurt him. And I am not saying PFF always gets it right. Now look at DTs: 

1. Reader: 79.0 
2. Hill: 58.9 
3. Tupou: 56.3 
4. Carter: 54.2 
5. Tufele: 29.6 
Reply/Quote
I think he's kinda overrated vs something being wrong with him. He missed his entire rookie year then had 3 sacks last year. He played well the in playoff game vs. The Chiefs so I think people thought he'd take the next step this year. He's a rotational backup don't see a high celling just my assessment.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 02:25 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I think he's kinda overrated vs something being wrong with him. He missed his entire rookie year then had 3 sacks last year. He played well the in playoff game vs. The Chiefs so I think people thought he'd take the next step this year. He's a rotational backup don't see a high celling just my assessment.

Im with you on this one.  Ive never understood why some think Ossai was going to be great.  What has he done since he has been here that would make anyone believe that?  Last year he was a mediocre backup.  This year he was supposed to come in and be this great pass rusher?  Why would anyone think that?  Im not saying he couldnt develop into a great pass rusher at some point but he hasnt shown that so far in his career.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 12:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: RJ3 looked so good in PS.

He looked like our best pass rusher, actually best defensive player in general.  But, that was preseason and just because someone has a great preseason doesnt mean that will translate into regular season success.  I still would have liked to have seen him on the team to see what he could do in a real game.  I thought for sure he would make the Bengals 53 man roster.  I guess if the Bengals felt like they needed more help with the pass rush from the backups and Ossai wasnt the answer, they could poach Johnson III off the Lions practice squad.  He would obviously need to be on the 53 man roster but that wouldnt be much different than if he had made the 53 man roster out of training camp.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 02:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He looked like our best pass rusher, actually best defensive player in general.  But, that was preseason and just because someone has a great preseason doesnt mean that will translate into regular season success.  I still would have liked to have seen him on the team to see what he could do in a real game.  I thought for sure he would make the Bengals 53 man roster.  I guess if the Bengals felt like they needed more help with the pass rush from the backups and Ossai wasnt the answer, they could poach Johnson III off the Lions practice squad.  He would obviously need to be on the 53 man roster but that wouldnt be much different than if he had made the 53 man roster out of training camp.

Johnson has not played one snap for the Lions this year. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone expected him to be some lights-out pass rusher but we sure expected more from him than we have gotten so far. After the draft, most of us were excited that we now had a couple guys who could rotate in and spell Hendrickson and /or create some dangerous 3rd and long pass rush packages with Hendrickson / Murphy / Hubbard / Ossai all on the field. And thus far, it's like we're right back to where we were last year, pass rush-wise, with most of our sacks and pressures coming from ONE man with the occasional BJ Hill / DJ Reader pressure / sack. This needs to change, and I'm glad Murphy is starting to come around. We need it.
Reply/Quote
Seems to me we are playing the 4 starters a lot more than we have the last couple years.

Hopefully Ossai’s snaps stay down. Because the 4 starters are doing well and the defense is doing well and the offense is controlling the ball like we did on Sunday night.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 11:48 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Whats up with him? I know he was coming off an injury but that was weeks ago. He seems like a shell of his former rising self from the last 2 yrs.
To go deep into playoffs we will need him back to his former self. We need a good rotation and depth heading into playoffs
Might have went deeper into the playoffs without him last year. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 03:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Johnson has not played one snap for the Lions this year. 

He is on the practice squad so that is not surprising.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 02:25 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I think he's kinda overrated vs something being wrong with him. He missed his entire rookie year then had 3 sacks last year.

(11-07-2023, 02:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im with you on this one.  Ive never understood why some think Ossai was going to be great.  What has he done since he has been here that would make anyone believe that?  Last year he was a mediocre backup.  

I was impressed with the way he stepped up his game the second half of last year.

First 11 games only had 9 tkls, 4 QB Hits, 1 sack, and zero PDs

Last 8 games he had 14 tackles, 9 QB Hits, 2.5 sacks, and 3 PDs

And, of course, he made one of the biggest defensive plays of the year on the Bengals' last defensive snap in the Chiefs game.  His 3rd down sack of Mahomes not only stopped the Chiefs drive, but it backed them up so that the FG attempt was 55 yards. Butker missed and we held on to win 27-24.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 12:07 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: I was impressed with the way he stepped up his game the second half of last year.

First 11 games only had 9 tkls, 4 QB Hits, 1 sack, and zero PDs

Last 8 games he had 14 tackles, 9 QB Hits, 2.5 sacks, and 3 PDs

And, of course, he made one of the biggest defensive plays of the year on the Bengals' last defensive snap in the Chiefs game.  His 3rd down sack of Mahomes not only stopped the Chiefs drive, but it backed them up so that the FG attempt was 55 yards. Butker missed and we held on to win 27-24.

Unfortunately, I remember a different late-game play on Mahomes last year. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote