Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osweiler To Browns
(03-09-2017, 05:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Browns just traded for Brock Osweiler(?) from Houston and gave them a 4th round pick. The Browns pick up his salary. Looks like the next QB domino to fall in Cleveland. I hope the Bengals aren't this dumb.

He'll never play a down in Cleveland.  This was an NBA salary move.  Browns have to pay a minimal amount.  Now they can easily reach the league minimum without reaching for FA's.  They can sign the ones they really want and still draft for the future.  Ostrich's contract expires at the end of the year and it's instance cap space for them to make bigger moves next year.  They get several draft picks out of it, and Houston gets rid of a QB that isn't even NFL backup quality. 

The Houston sports radio guys think it's a brilliant move for both sides and are especially impressed with this move from the Browns perspective.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 05:48 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yep they're basically going to eat the contract and retrade him for more picks.  This may be one of the greatest moves ive seen in years.

it could be the dumbest move ive seen in years
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: You can talk all you want about the Browns, but they now have one of the best offensive lines, loaded with talent, loaded with early picks for premier players, and enough money to bolster that talent even more.  Browns could go from total turds to a dynasty in two years if they draft well.

ive heard this before.... they have been loaded with picks for years.. and they still made a terrible move last year with RGIII... and were horrible... culture still looked bad to me last year.. we will see but im not buying it yet... you would think at some point they will get it together but could be ground hog day over and over...
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:54 PM)motoarch Wrote: Did you look at the details of the trade?  He won't play a snap and they get a secomd round draft pick.  They basically bought a pick.  Brilliant trade.

Brilliant? No other team in the NFL will be paying their second round draft pick $16M.

On top of that, they paid Zeitler way more than they let Mack walk to Atlanta for last season.

Yeah...pure genius.
Reply/Quote
Great. We get to sit around and talk about the Browns being brilliant while wondering how long our QB takes to die next year. My worst nightmare has come true.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Trading players for "cash" is a common thing to do with underperforming players (or players that your team can't afford to pay) in baseball.

Honestly, I think it's genius. You can tell the Browns have baseball guys in their Front Office.
Reply/Quote
Brock Osweiler just doesn't seem very good to me. He did not work out in Denver or Texas, so what people are saying about how he won't play a down for Cleveland may come true.

Last year was really sad for the Browns. I'm hoping for them to get better so we can have one more team beating up on Pittsburgh twice a year.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: it could be the dumbest move ive seen in years

The Browns have to spend to reach the cap floor this year, so instead of wasting money on a FA signing we'd all bash them for making they'll spent it on a 2nd round pick.  This is assuming they just release Brock-O and eat the entire contract, but they could offset the cost by sending him elsewhere.  Makes sense to me.

(03-10-2017, 12:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: Brilliant? No other team in the NFL will be paying their second round draft pick $16M.

On top of that, they paid Zeitler way more than they let Mack walk to Atlanta for last season.

Yeah...pure genius.

See?  The Browns are forced by league rules to spend money and apparently spending it on free agents is stupid, but outright buying draft picks is stupid too.  I'm not saying the Browns are ever going to be good, but they are  1-15 team that is forced to do all manner of crazy stuff in order to TRY to build something.

I can't really bash them setting Zeitler because I know if we took one of the few guys keeping Pig Ben from getting his head caved in from the Steelers we'd all be yucking it up.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:42 AM)McC Wrote: Great.  We get to sit around and talk about the Browns being brilliant while wondering how long our QB takes to die next year.  My worst nightmare has come true.

Except that the browns are not brilliant.
Reply/Quote
Video 
(03-11-2017, 01:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Except that the browns are not brilliant.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 09:27 PM)Vambo Wrote:

Bold does not mean smart. What other team in the NFL will be paying a 2nd round draft pick $16M + his salary next season? This is essentially what they did since by making the trade they said they were buying a 2nd round draft pick. On top of that, they have to figure out something to do with Brock Osweiler....lol. Yup, pure genius.
Reply/Quote
No matter what the Browns do, it ends up a flop. Remember Manziel at pick 24 and the Browns thought they won the lottery. There was a reason nobody else picked him. Just like Brock. There is a reason nobody else traded for him. You'll see the same old reason this season. Browns = last place
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:56 AM)Beaker Wrote: Bold does not mean smart. What other team in the NFL will be paying a 2nd round draft pick $16M + his salary next season? This is essentially what they did since by making the trade they said they were buying a 2nd round draft pick. On top of that, they have to figure out something to do with Brock Osweiler....lol. Yup, pure genius.

Paul DePodesta, the team’s “chief strategy officer,” comes from the MLB world, but this is a move straight out of the NBA. The Browns are eating Osweiler’s contract in order to get the Texans’ second-round pick. Cleveland will owe Osweiler $16 million in 2017, but can part ways with the free agent bust after next season with no penalty. Or they can just eat that dead money now, which doesn’t matter when you have more cap space then you can realistically spend, as Cleveland does now. ThumbsUp

Browns: (1) It allows them to sweeten a possible trade offer for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo and (2) it helps the team get closer to the salary cap floor (teams have to spend at least 89% of the cap, per NFL rules) without having to hand a risky long-term deal out to a free agent.

The Browns are still sitting on over $50 million in cap space after this move, so this move does not affect their spending power (this year or in the future) in any way.
Essentially, Cleveland picked up a second-round pick for a conditional fourth-round pick. That’s been the front office’s MO this past year-and-a-half. It has acquired a ton of assets without giving much in return. ThumbsUp

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:19 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: No matter what the Browns do, it ends up a flop. Remember Manziel at pick 24 and the Browns thought they won the lottery. There was a reason nobody else picked him. Just like Brock. There is a reason nobody else traded for him. You'll see the same old reason this season. Browns = last place

And with Dalton and all the talent the Bengals have , how'd they end last season?

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 05:57 PM)Vambo Wrote: And with Dalton and all the talent the Bengals have , how'd they end last season?

The Bengals had their worst season in the last 7-8 years, and still finished ahead of the browns....as usual. Enjoy your $16M 2nd round draft choice.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 07:14 PM)Beaker Wrote: Enjoy your $16M 2nd round draft choice.

[Image: 26f94d213c00c850c5fa_1.jpg]

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
[Image: tnh19.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Technically they are improving as Osweiler is definitely better than RGIII. Although, at this rate they are still 15 offseasons away from a Ryan Tannehill at qb.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that the Browns will find a way to screw this up in a way that only the Browns can? 
I'm sometimes on the fence of whether I want them to win and hoping they remain cellar dwellers. One one hand it's nice to always have at least one team in our division we can count on to stink up the place, but on the other hand it would be more satisfying to have another team capable of beating the squeelers on a regular basis. 
If the Bengals fall into perpetu89al rot as some people seem to think I could conceivably become a Browns fan, but that would require an act of something I don't even believe in. 
You gotta admit that the draft is always a Browns fans super bowl. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:43 PM)Beaker Wrote: [Image: tnh19.jpg]

[Image: 4df926e8b8c3a7de527b.jpg]  Must be from all the Bengals GOOD choices!

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote