Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other O-Line options in round 1
(02-22-2021, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If good WR’s are so easy to find in the mid rounds why have we been trying to replace Marvin Jones’ speed for 5 years now? I’ve seen enough Josh Malone, Cody Core types at this point.

If Taylor wants to run 11 personnel and continue to sling it all over the field we need way more than a role player as a starter. Now if he’s going to balance the offense out more (and not rely solely on Burrow) by getting Mixon a ton of touches then that’s a different story. But that just doesn’t seem like Taylor’s M.O.

As for needing a star on the OL? I think the one thing almost all of us can agree on is taking Sewell if he’s there. It’s a no brainer. What we do if he’s not is where we seem to have diverging opinions. I personally want an elite guy like Chase or Pitts in that scenario. Others want to trade back and hope the 2nd or 3rd best OT’s are there. I’d rather have Chase/Pitts + Eichenberg/Leatherwood than Slater/Darrisaw + whoever.

It just seems like many Bengals fans have become conditioned to viewing the draft as the only way to fill holes. But most other teams don’t operate like that. I want another free agency like we just saw last year, but geared towards the OL this time instead of the defense.
it would actually be Slater/Darrisaw + whoever + another whoever
(02-22-2021, 06:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I specifically said ending up with the 3rd best player at his position in a year we had a top 5 pick would be a disaster. I’d be fine with trading back a couple spots and still taking a guy like Pitts.
Fair enough..and I'd be fine with trading back a couple spots and going BPA. IMO #5 OA is not BPA it's BPA at a position of need.

According to draft value a favorable trade for the Bengals would be Denver #5 for #9 and #40 and an unfavorable would be SF #5 for #12 and #43. Both are "realistic"

Of all the mocks I've seen the most likely top 4 are the 3 QBs and Sewell. One such is PFN:
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-round-cummings-february/

Using that you can stand pat and go Chase/Pitts + Eichenberg/Leatherwood or bfine can accept Denver and go Darrisaw/Slater + Phillips/Nixon + Freiermuth/R. Moore
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 06:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: it would actually be Slater/Darrisaw + whoever + another whoever
Fair enough..and I'd be fine with trading back a couple spots and going BPA. IMO #5 OA is not BPA it's BPA at a position of need.

According to draft value a favorable trade for the Bengals would be Denver #5 for #9 and #40 and an unfavorable would be SF #5 for #12 and #43. Both are "realistic"

Of all the mocks I've seen the most likely top 4 are the 3 QBs and Sewell. One such is PFN:
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-round-cummings-february/

Using that you can stand pat and go Chase/Pitts + Eichenberg/Leatherwood or bfine can accept Denver and go Darrisaw/Slater + Phillips/Nixon + Freiermuth/R. Moore

I like both those trades, it would be awesome if we traded back with Denver and somehow still get Pitts.

Unlikely but it would be awesome if it happened.

I like Eichenberg as much as any OT in this class besides Sewell. Right there about even with Darrisaw and Slater for me.

Cosmi is also another good one as is Leatherwood as you mention. Don't understand how people base an entire player's career
on the Senior Bowl. So what if Leatherwood wasn't good in the Senior Bowl, he played great in the SEC for years as a poster
already said (edit, wait, that was you that said it lol).

Also all for a pass rusher in the 2nd or one of the other stud TE's like Freiermuth or Yemboa who impressed me with his film.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 06:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like both those trades, it would be awesome if we traded back with Denver and somehow still get Pitts.

Unlikely but it would be awesome if it happened.

I like Eichenberg as much as any OT in this class besides Sewell. Right there about even with Darrisaw and Slater for me.

Cosmi is also another good one as is Leatherwood as you mention. Don't understand how people base an entire player's career
on the Senior Bowl. So what if Leatherwood wasn't good in the Senior Bowl, he played great in the SEC for years as a poster
already said (edit, wait, that was you that said it lol).

Also all for a pass rusher in the 2nd or one of the other stud TE's like Freiermuth or Yemboa who impressed me with his film.

Another TE in the 2nd is a hard no for me, but pass rusher absolutely. If we get Sewell then Basham is probably my first choice there. That’s a couple great additions on both lines.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 06:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Another TE in the 2nd is a hard no for me, but pass rusher absolutely. If we get Sewell then Basham is probably my first choice there. That’s a couple great additions on both lines.

Well it depends on how FA played out and if we got Sewell in the first of course.

But yeah, Sewell/Basham to start out the Draft is probably my favorite scenario myself.

Then get Tylan Wallace in the 3rd and Meinerz the Guard in the 4th. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 06:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If Sewell is there, you take him. If not, then we should entertain trading back if we don't like Pitts or Chase enough IMO.

Darrisaw is a really good OT though, so I am not against trading back and getting him or one of the other OT's either.

I just think if Sewell is gone Pitts is the best player at his position in the Draft. I would take Pitts or Chase at 5.

I like Jackson Carman in the 2nd round better than Davis if he falls to us, badazz mauling Guard.

Cheers Nate
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 05:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never said I’m adamantly against trading back. It can be risky though. Just because you add more lottery tickets doesn’t mean you’re automatically going to hit on them. I’m open to moving back a couple spots. Just not all the way back into the teens though. Which is where you should be taking a guy like Darrisaw.

This is hopefully the last time we’re picking in the top 5 for a long time, and I want another franchise changing player out of it (like AJ Green).
Well sorry about again you need to open your thinking...  Darrisaw is considered the 2/3 tackle and on most mocks goes in the top 8 to 15 draft with a no trade draft.. when you start trading that brings in different variables... for example this will be a higher than normal QB draft i believe in top 15 because there seems to be at least 6 teams in play for QBs which moves them up in draft.. so Darrisaw is being pushed down because of the 4 QBs that could go in top 10-15 pick...the Bengals don't need a QB, so their value i tackle is not so based on pick 8/10/12/15 it is based on need and quality of those players at that position.. So on the Bengals board, Darrisaw or Slater is probably sitting top 8/10  right now so picking them 10-15 pick is actually a more value pick when you consider they also will be getting extra picks for moving down for a player they value much higher... 

And sorry Chase is not being compared to AJ Green or J. Jones various mocks have Smith going before Chase. and some Chase in top 8 to 12 pick... and  from those who are experts in the draft I don;t see anyone really comparing Chase to Green.. 5th picks in the draft are the not the same value year to year...
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 08:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well sorry about again you need to open your thinking...  Darrisaw is considered the 2/3 tackle and on most mocks goes in the top 8 to 15 draft with a no trade draft.. when you start trading that brings in different variables... for example this will be a higher than normal QB draft i believe in top 15 because there seems to be at least 6 teams in play for QBs which moves them up in draft.. so Darrisaw is being pushed down because of the 4 QBs that could go in top 10-15 pick...the Bengals don't need a QB, so their value i tackle is not so based on pick 8/10/12/15 it is based on need and quality of those players at that position.. So on the Bengals board, Darrisaw or Slater is probably sitting top 8/10  right now so picking them 10-15 pick is actually a more value pick when you consider they also will be getting extra picks for moving down for a player they value much higher... 

And sorry Chase is not being compared to AJ Green or J. Jones various mocks have Smith going before Chase. and some Chase in top 8 to 12 pick... and  from those who are experts in the draft I don;t see anyone really comparing Chase to Green.. 5th picks in the draft are the not the same value year to year...

Chase is an absolute stud, who at 19 years old set records for both yards and TD’s in the best conference in the country while playing with our QB. He absolutely has the potential to be franchise altering in the vein of an AJ Green. A true #1 (which we’ve been lacking since the first half of 2018). Chase put up those numbers playing with (and out producing) a guy in Justin Jefferson who just came in and lit the league on fire as a rookie. But Chase was the #1 in that LSU offense (which we’ve incorporated plays into ours from). I understand you want to go in different direction, but there’s absolutely no reason to downplay how good Ja’Marr Chase is.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 08:07 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Cheers Nate

Cheers

(02-22-2021, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase is an absolute stud, who at 19 years old set records for both yards and TD’s in the best conference in the country while playing with our QB. He absolutely has the potential to be franchise altering in the vein of an AJ Green. A true #1 (which we’ve been lacking since the first half of 2018). Chase put up those numbers playing with (and out producing) a guy in Justin Jefferson who just came in and lit the league on fire as a rookie. But Chase was the #1 in that LSU offense (which we’ve incorporated plays into ours from). I understand you want to go in different direction, but there’s absolutely no reason to downplay how good Ja’Marr Chase is.

No doubt. I would take Chase over Devonta Smith all day long. Best Receiver in this class and it is one hell of a class.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 01:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only problem with trading back is there’s never any guarantee the guy you have your eye on will be there. We will be regretting missing out on Frank Ragnow for years to come for example.

I thought Ragnow was drafted ahead of us, we drafted Price a pick later, but did not trade back. We would have to trade up to grab him.

We did trade back for Zeitler (who Bengals say they had rated higher than DeCastro. We know now yes Bengals got their guy, but DeCastro who was said to be can't miss prospect did not miss and Zeitler while good was not even close. Bad decision by the Bengals among they many they have made on OL last 3 to 10 years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase is an absolute stud, who at 19 years old set records for both yards and TD’s in the best conference in the country while playing with our QB. 
Do those records still stand?

(02-23-2021, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cheers

No doubt. I would take Chase over Devante Smith all day long. Best Receiver in this class and it is one hell of a class.
Seems I've heard that Smith name somewhere before

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 07:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought Ragnow was drafted ahead of us, we drafted Price a pick later, but did not trade back. We would have to trade up to grab him.

We did trade back for Zeitler (who Bengals say they had rated higher than DeCastro. We know now yes Bengals got their guy, but DeCastro who was said to be can't miss prospect did not miss and Zeitler while good was not even close. Bad decision by the Bengals among they many they have made on OL last 3 to 10 years.

We actually traded out of #12 to #21 in the Ragnow draft. Not that Ragnow was on anybody's radar at #12 

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 07:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well it depends on how FA played out and if we got Sewell in the first of course.

But yeah, Sewell/Basham to start out the Draft is probably my favorite scenario myself.

Then get Tylan Wallace in the 3rd and Meinerz the Guard in the 4th. Shocked

Meinerz is getting some 2nd round love right now. He played some center at the senior bowl and looked good. I think some teams might draft him and play him there. Would be nice to get him in the 4th tho ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 08:50 PM)pulses Wrote: Meinerz is getting some 2nd round love right now. He played some center at the senior bowl and looked good. I think some teams might draft him and play him there. Would be nice to get him in the 4th tho ThumbsUp

I think Meinerz should fall just cause of the small school and he is raw. Should take time to adapt to the NFL.

2nd or even 3rd seems a bit early for such a raw prospect.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 08:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Meinerz should fall just cause of the small school and he is raw. Should take time to adapt to the NFL.

2nd or even 3rd seems a bit early for such a raw prospect.

The steelers are really interested in him and they do a pretty good job in drafting OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 07:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do those records still stand?

No, but I personally find Chase doing it as a teenager, while having more competition on his team, even more impressive.

Smith is obviously great, too.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 07:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do those records still stand?

Seems I've heard that Smith name somewhere before

Thanks for bringing it up as I misspelled Devonta but yeah, he broke Chase's records with Mac Jones.

I still think it is more impressive what Chase did with Burrow and that onslaught of weapons. Jefferson lit up the NFL last year and 
he was second fiddle to Chase the year before. Also I don't know if Devonta's body can hold up in the NFL. Damn is he skinny!
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 09:11 PM)pulses Wrote: The steelers are really interested in him and they do a pretty good job in drafting OL.

They do. I don't want to see Meinerz on the Steelers. Would ruin the kid to me. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 09:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No, but I personally find Chase doing it as a teenager, while having more competition on his team, even more impressive.

Smith is obviously great, too.

I find it more impressive that Smith did it with Mac Jones. As you know, there's just something about Chase that doesn't float my boat. I am curious to see exactly how athletic he is at his Pro Day; perhaps I'll change my tune. 

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 11:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I find it more impressive that Smith did it with Mac Jones. As you know, there's just something about Chase that doesn't float my boat. I am curious to see exactly how athletic he is at his Pro Day; perhaps I'll change my tune. 

I’m a happily married straight man, but he floats my boat Big Grin

[Image: Eu2hNNHVcAADHkP?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Reply/Quote
Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
If Sewell is there, you take him. If not, then we should entertain trading back if we don't like Pitts or Chase enough IMO.

Darrisaw is a really good OT though, so I am not against trading back and getting him or one of the other OT's either.

I just think if Sewell is gone Pitts is the best player at his position in the Draft. I would take Pitts or Chase at 5.

I like Jackson Carman in the 2nd round better than Davis if he falls to us, badazz mauling Guard.

The best Guard in round 2 if he is there would be Tucker.
Reply/Quote