Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our 2016 draft class
This year, we had the typical 7 picks in the draft. And every single player we drafted either made the 53 man roster or was put on IR, and would have certainly made the 53 man roster had they been healthy.

Has this ever happened before?

Last year came close, but I think Alford was put on the practice squad for the beginning of the year and then the year prior, Westbrooks didn't make the team at all.

I wonder what that says about our team. Does keeping your entire draft class on the 53 man roster/IR mean that you're drafting that well that every pick, even those in the late rounds, are extremely good? Or does that mean that we aren't as deep as we think we are?

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 10:37 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This year, we had the typical 7 picks in the draft. And every single player we drafted either made the 53 man roster or was put on IR, and would have certainly made the 53 man roster had they been healthy.

Last year came close, but I think Alford was put on the practice squad for the beginning of the year and then the year prior, Westbrooks didn't make the team at all.

I wonder what that says about our team. Does keeping your entire draft class on the 53 man roster/IR mean that you're drafting that well that every pick, even those in the late rounds, are extremely good? Or does that mean that we aren't as deep as we think we are?

I think it's just difficult to evaluate a team's drafting ability until several years down the road.  They certainly don't want to give up on a player just a few months after they've drafted them unless someone else comes in and completely outplays them in the preseason.  
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 10:37 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This year, we had the typical 7 picks in the draft. And every single player we drafted either made the 53 man roster or was put on IR, and would have certainly made the 53 man roster had they been healthy.

I think we just had a really good draft class. The only one that I didn't think was going to make it was Fej, but I think the only reason why he made it was because our depth at safety isn't that great. If you look at every other pick they have played great so far this preseason. Our first 4 picks were all amazing picks IMO, and our 5th and 6th rounders were very good picks as well. Westerman and Core both have easily outplayed their draft positions IMO (5th and 6th rounds).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 10:43 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think we just had a really good draft class. The only one that I didn't think was going to make it was Fej, but I think the only reason why he made it was because our depth at safety isn't that great. If you look at every other pick they have played great so far this preseason. Our first 4 picks were all amazing picks IMO, and our 5th and 6th rounders were very good picks as well. Westerman and Core both have easily outplayed their draft positions IMO (5th and 6th rounds).

In this specific case it came down to him vs. Jimmy Wilson.  Neither really flashed in the preseason and were essentially on equal ground.  In this case you have a known commodity in Wilson (since he's been around the league for a few years) and a young unknown player that may have higher upside with Fej.  In this case I think it's the right call to go with the younger draft pick and give him some time in your system.  
Reply/Quote
Fej will contribute on special teams. He looks like an enforcer. I went to camp and the guy is yoked.
Reply/Quote
Just unueual circumstances this year.

usually the first 5 picks make the roster, and this year we happened to have zero depth at WR and Safety so Core and Fejedelem made ti also.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just unueual circumstances this year.

usually the first 5 picks make the roster, and this year we happened to have zero depth at WR and Safety so Core and Fejedelem made ti also.

I think Tate being cut says that Core would have made the team even if Jones and Sanu were here (and we didn't pick up LaFell). I think Wright and Erickson would have been axed.
Reply/Quote

I believe Alford was on the 53 all season last year. He was only active for one game, but I believe all of our draft picks made it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I think the Browns kept all 14 of their picks initially but might have just released one of them....amazing.

I think this year's draft will be huge in the future with immediate contributions from Boyd and Vigil. WJIII and Billings should have big chips on their shoulders next year to make an impact.
Reply/Quote
Gil Brandt tweeted the other day that there were 7 teams that had all of their draft picks make the 53.
Reply/Quote
We also didn't have any comp picks or extra picks which isn't always the case. If we had extra late round picks that would make it harder to keep everyone ... Those 7th round comp picks are right in the UDFA line as far as prospects go.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 10:43 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think we just had a really good draft class. The only one that I didn't think was going to make it was Fej, but I think the only reason why he made it was because our depth at safety isn't that great. If you look at every other pick they have played great so far this preseason. Our first 4 picks were all amazing picks IMO, and our 5th and 6th rounders were very good picks as well. Westerman and Core both have easily outplayed their draft positions IMO (5th and 6th rounds).

Fej is my favorite player in this draft. Worked his tail off to get here.

Reply/Quote
I think last year was the first time in a while an UDFA didn't make the 53; not sure one made it this year. So that could be why the picks are sticking
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think last year was the first time in a while an UDFA didn't make the 53; not sure one made it this year. So that could be why the picks are sticking

Isn't Erickson a UDFA? And Trevor Roach?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 12:01 AM)Nizoj Wrote: Isn't Erickson a UDFA? And Trevor Roach?

Think you are right with Erickson, but Roach is a second year player. We have a few that weren't drafted on the 53
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 12:01 AM)Nizoj Wrote: Isn't Erickson a UDFA? And Trevor Roach?

Sure thought they were, maybe I am wrong. 

But all 7 sticking is evidence of great drafting and many holes to be filled as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It's neither a good sign of a bad sign. It's however you want to take it. The Browns have 16 rookies on their roster. The Seahawks have 15 rookies on their roster. One's a big SB contender, the other is the Browns.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote