Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our 2018 Defense _________ you fill it in.
(09-24-2018, 06:27 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Is wishing Zimmer never left town, and Marvin did

Maybe, but losing to Buffalo the way the Minnesota fighting zimmers did yesterday isn’t a good look.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:27 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Is wishing Zimmer never left town, and Marvin did

So we could get lit up by the Bills? Vikings really don’t even look that good so far. I wonder when this notion that Zimmer is the second coming of Vince Lombardi will end...

For the record I liked Zimmer a lot during his time here, but man is it weird so many people still have such a hard on for the guy this many years later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:31 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Maybe, but losing to Buffalo the way the Minnesota fighting zimmers did yesterday isn’t a good look.

I think Minnesota was looking to Thursday against the Rams
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So we could get lit up by the Bills? Vikings really don’t even look that good so far. I wonder when this notion that Zimmer is the second coming of Vince Lombardi will end...

For the record I liked Zimmer a lot during his time here, but man is it weird so many people still have such a hard on for the guy this many years later.

He is better than Lewis this team wont win under Lewis. Look at the Rams they went and drafted wisely, quickly realized Jeff Fisher was not the guy for the job went and got this McVay guy who looks like the football whisperer. Cincy still sticks with Marvin year in year out
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:44 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: He is better than Lewis this team wont win under Lewis. Look at the Rams they went and drafted wisely, quickly realized Jeff Fisher was not the guy for the job went and got this McVay guy who looks like the football whisperer. Cincy still sticks with Marvin year in year out

Marvin is kind of a low bar, no?

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:37 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: I think Minnesota was looking to Thursday against the Rams

Is that a player thing, a coaching thing, or both?

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:37 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: I think Minnesota was looking to Thursday against the Rams

Why are you slamming Zimmer?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:02 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Is that a player thing, a coaching thing, or both?

Both, but the HC goes a long way towards setting the tone so ...........
Reply/Quote
It's simple, the defense is playing like a bunch of weak willed men.

* had to edit last part, dont want to offend anyone otherwise
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Our defense is ________ Terrible at stopping the run. It's not helping with our two marquis LBs not in the game, but come on? Giving up 184 to a guy that had yet to ever even run for half of that in a game.. Pass rushers are pretty much worthless, when a team can just run at will on you.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Our defense is ________  Terrible at stopping the run.  It's not helping with our two marquis LBs not in the game, but come on?  Giving up 184 to a guy that had yet to ever even run for half of that in a game..  Pass rushers are pretty much worthless, when a team can just run at will on you.

I have to apologize to you for give you a hard time about Billings. He's basically disappeared thus far in the regular season. And what I thought was gonna be a terror inducing pass rush has been rather ho hum thus far.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 08:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have to apologize to you for give you a hard time about Billings. He's basically disappeared thus far in the regular season. And what I thought was gonna be a terror inducing pass rush has been rather ho hum thus far.

Eh, no big deal.  I'm typically wrong each day, about as many times as a broken clock.  As for Billings?  He's still a developing player, I think that he'll settle in and be just fine.  I did notice Tupau stepping right in for him and making some tackles.  Perhaps the young Samoan can step up and push for more PT?

However, I did try to caution folks, by alerting them to the fact that Carolina's interior OL was a force, and that their front 7 was likely one of the best we'd see this year.  In reality, I'd like to see a reboot of this game, with our LBs healthy and active.  I don't think that Cam would have had nearly as much fun, had he been forced into passing situations, rather than choosing his moments.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 09:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, no big deal.  I'm typically wrong each day, about as many times as a broken clock.  As for Billings?  He's still a developing player, I think that he'll settle in and be just fine.  I did notice Tupau stepping right in for him and making some tackles.  Perhaps the young Samoan can step up and push for more PT?

However, I did try to caution folks, by alerting them to the fact that Carolina's interior OL was a force, and that their front 7 was likely one of the best we'd see this year.  In reality, I'd like to see a reboot of this game, with our LBs healthy and active.  I don't think that Cam would have had nearly as much fun, had he been forced into passing situations, rather than choosing his moments.

Yup,

We never got Carolina out of their wheelhouse. Nearly all NFL teams if you let them stay comfortable the whole game they can and will beat you.

The Bengals best chance for wins this season is to jump out to a lead and force the opposition to get uncomfortable. You pull the teeth of our pass rush when you're up by 2 scores and running the ball.
Reply/Quote
Our 2018 Defense is confusing to say the least. This defense should be poised for a top 5 year but yet dink and dunk passing games and not getting off the field on third downs is D wn right weird.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Hot Garbage.. Even with Brown and Burfict out .. This team had a week and a half to prepare for Cam Newton and the nobody McCaffrey.. Come on.. 200+ yards ?! Time to give Chris f'n Crocker a call .. Evans and Nickerson not getting it done? Bring in Rey.. bring in someone.. HOLD SOME F'n body accountable. Marvin "Weak Sauce" Lewis ain't never going to get it done
Reply/Quote
Our 2018 defense is coached by Teryl and plays like Cheryl.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:34 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Our 2018 defense is coached by Teryl and plays like Cheryl.

They got to improve by leaps and bounds for us to have any chance this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: ....Needs burfict and brown back.

Having those two in the field will be a huge factor. It is unfortunate but I’d be surprised if burfict plays more than 6 games this season. Just can’t count on the guy. As for brown, hopefully we get him back soon and he can stay healthy.

Having just one of these guys back would be a boost. Having both will make the defemse look much different.

HAVING tez back will be for a short time,as he will be ejected from the first game back.the nfl is a ***** league anymore,they do not want guys to be physical.and the refs control all the outcomes of games.hence in point,last night the refs game that game to the stinking steelers.called a ton of crap on the bucs,its all rigged anymore and the nfl is all about the money anymore.players do not represent a city or a team for that matter,once they get the big contract they do not play as hard,fans are getting cheated big time,they players do not give a shit about you,its the money and this bengals team is hurt a ton every stinking year,its like groundhog day,I mean really dudes?????I seriously believe billy price will have a hard time getting his job back,his replacement is playing lights out and deverves to be starting.put john ross on the practice squad and play Erickerson,he gets open and catches the rock and makes 1st downs,marvin does not know what players to put out there each week and it shows.we have a ton of talent ,but stupid coaches starting with marvin.him hiring Austin is a big time bust.his players were not prepared to play the panthers.he sucks.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 06:08 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: HAVING tez back will be for a short time,as he will be ejected from the first game back.the nfl is a ***** league anymore,they do not want guys to be physical.and the refs control all the outcomes of games.hence in point,last night the refs game that game to the stinking steelers.called a ton of crap on the bucs,its all rigged anymore and the nfl is all about the money anymore.players do not represent a city or a team for that matter,once they get the big contract they do not play as hard,fans are getting cheated big time,they players do not give a shit about you,its the money and this bengals team is hurt a ton every stinking year,its like groundhog day,I mean really dudes?????I seriously believe billy price will have a hard time getting his job back,his replacement is playing lights out and deverves to be starting.put john ross on the practice squad and play Erickerson,he gets open and catches the rock and makes 1st downs,marvin does not know what players to put out there each week and it shows.we have a ton of talent ,but stupid coaches starting with marvin.him hiring Austin is a big time bust.his players were not prepared to play the panthers.he sucks.

Tell us how you really feel.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Scoring defense 4 years with Geunther

2nd
8th
12th
16th

4 previous seasons with Zimmer

5th
8th
9th
24th

The average rank per year is actually higher for Geunther than Zimmer.

That is correct. Zimmer had a top 10 scoring defense three times his last 4 years. Guenther had 2. However, Guenther never had below 16th and also had a 2nd.
But there's more to defense than just points.

The last 4 years of Zimmer, the defense ranked 15th, 7th, 6th, and 3rd in total yardage.
The last 4 years of Guenther, the defense ranked 22nd, 11th, 17th, and 18th in total yardage.
Guenther never had a top 10 defense in that regard, Zimmer had three.

Zimmer's defense against the pass; they ranked 14th, 9th, 7th, and 5th.
Guenther's defense against the pass; they ranked 20th, 20th, 11th, and 8th.
Zimmer's defense gave up 80 passing touchdowns and 60 interceptions.
Guenther's defense gave up 78 passing touchdowns and 69 interceptions.

Zimmer's defense against the run; they ranked 19th, 10th, 12th, and 5th.
Guenther's defense against the run; they ranked 20th, 7th, 21st, and 30th.
Zimmer's defense gave up 48 rushing touchdowns. Recovered 28 fumbles.
Guenther's defense gave up 49 rushing touchdowns. Recovered 19 fumbles.

Zimmer's defensive rank in sacks; 27th, 5th, 3rd, and 10th
Guenther's defensive rank in sacks; 32nd, 10th, 19th (tied with four other teams), and 11th (tied)

In their last 4 years, Guenther's defense gave up 1 less touchdown than Zimmer's defense.
In their last 4 years, they had the same amount of turnovers.

Zimmer's defense had a top 10 defense in 14 different categories, top 5 defense in 6 different categories

Guenther's defense had a top 10 defense in 5 different categories, top 5 defense in 1 category

So that's 20 different categories throughout 4 years. Zimmer would be 14/20 in that situation.
Guenther would be 5/20.

Or, in percentages, Zimmer is at 70%
Guenther is at 25%

While yes, points are important, Zimmer's defense outshines Guenther's defense in every other category.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote