Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Biggest Critic, Greg Rosenthal
Had this to say about our performance:

"I can't tell if the Bengals had the most painful or most encouraging loss of the week. The Seahawks were unprepared for most of what Cincinnati coach Zac Taylor's staff threw at them on both sides of the ball. Anyone watching these two teams for the first time would think the Seahawks were a plucky band of overachievers who scrapped out a win despite being dramatically out-played by a more talented Bengals team that finished with 429 total yards to Seattle's 233. You have my attention, Mr. Taylor and Lou Anarumo!"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001053057/article/todd-gurley-lamar-jackson-browns-among-week-1s-surprises
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:02 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Had this to say about our performance:

"I can't tell if the Bengals had the most painful or most encouraging loss of the week. The Seahawks were unprepared for most of what Cincinnati coach Zac Taylor's staff threw at them on both sides of the ball. Anyone watching these two teams for the first time would think the Seahawks were a plucky band of overachievers who scrapped out a win despite being dramatically out-played by a more talented Bengals team that finished with 429 total yards to Seattle's 233. You have my attention, Mr. Taylor and Lou Anarumo!"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001053057/article/todd-gurley-lamar-jackson-browns-among-week-1s-surprises

I'd say he pretty much nailed it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It's true that now there is tape on Zac and Lou. People know what to prepare for. Thing is, they won't be seeing that same thing next time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
One thing I really liked was not being stubborn. The run was being stuffed, some of our old staffs would've kept trying to slam it in there and put ourselves in 2nd and long, 3rd and long. Zac took what the defense was giving and then circled back to the run later.

Was really impressed and loved that Lou didn't have the defense dying a slow death the whole game. They got after it and tried to get off the field and give the offense the ball back in good position. They got nailed with some perfect throw/catches for big gains but I'd rather make them hit that sometime than give up 10 yards a play every drive.

Some players just made some costly mistakes... fumbles, penalties, missed fg. Dang it, we should've got that win. On to sanfran
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:37 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Some players just made some costly mistakes... fumbles, penalties, missed fg. Dang it, we should've got that win. On to sanfran

Yes we should have. Have to believe they will get that fixed ASAP.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:37 AM)bonesaw Wrote: One thing I really liked was not being stubborn.  The run was being stuffed, some of our old staffs would've kept trying to slam it in there and put ourselves in 2nd and long, 3rd and long.  Zac took what the defense was giving and then circled back to the run later.  

Was really impressed and loved that Lou didn't have the defense dying a slow death the whole game.  They got after it and tried to get off the field and give the offense the ball back in good position.  They got nailed with some perfect throw/catches for big gains but I'd rather make them hit that sometime than give up 10 yards a play every drive.  

Some players just made some costly mistakes... fumbles, penalties, missed fg.  Dang it, we should've got that win.  On to sanfran

Erickson looked like deer in headlights which was surprising and made uncharacteristic bad cuts in return duties.  Dalton needs to find throwing lanes and tilt arm angle when lanes are limited.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If you've followed this team much at all over the past few seasons, since the last playoff loss. You would know that save a game here and a couple quarters there they have been unorganized, unprepared, undisciplined, and looking lost especially the defense most of the time. They couldn't handle any adversity and imploded at the least provocation.

Even in the loss we saw none of that Sunday. We saw a disciplined team that had some hiccups (pretty much expected all things considered) and by rights should have won the game.

If you know even a little bit about the Bengals and didn't come away encouraged ? Even for casual observers like Rosenthal.

I'm very anxious to see more.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:02 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Had this to say about our performance:

Cool, but Rosenthal is still a little dweeb.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:20 AM)McC Wrote: It's true that now there is tape on Zac and Lou.  People know what to prepare for.  Thing is, they won't be seeing that same thing next time.

Tape of one game against one opponent in the very first game.. By all means do tell us what every other team will now do to counter every single thing the Bengals will ever do going forward.. 
Some things will remain the same, some won't. After all, it's still just football. It's not as if any team can start their relief pitcher in Center field on a whim ala baseball.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:20 AM)McC Wrote: It's true that now there is tape on Zac and Lou.  People know what to prepare for.  Thing is, they won't be seeing that same thing next time.

It becomes about execution too. Good old fundamental blocking and tackling.

You don't totally fool teams in the NFL every play.

I agree with his assessment though. We basically doubled Seattle in yards and lost. Doubling them in yards is great, but it showed we struggled to score. It's encouraging and dejecting at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:43 AM)grampahol Wrote: Tape of one game against one opponent in the very first game.. By all means do tell us what every other team will now do to counter every single thing the Bengals will ever do going forward.. 
Some things will remain the same, some won't. After all, it's still just football. It's not as if any team can start their relief pitcher in Center field on a whim ala baseball.. 

O....kay.

Reply/Quote
Following up on this, here is his prediction for this week.

"Cincinnati Bengals 24, San Francisco 49ers 14

1 p.m. ET (FOX) | Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati)

No team has received more love for losing in Week 1 than the Bengals, which is a very Bengals thing to have happen. Still: John Ross is a thing now. Second-year defensive end Sam Hubbard leading a loaded defensive line is a thing now. Andy Dalton being fun to watch and escaping the prime meridian of quarterbacks could become a thing in time if coach Zac Taylor's first impression proves telling.

Niners fans hope that Jimmy Garoppolo's first impression of this season proves to be misleading. Bookend pass rushers Dee Ford and Nick Bosa helped the 49ers defense set up 17 points in Tampa, but Jimmy G misfired often, threw a ghastly pick-six and didn't stand tough in the pocket despite excellent protection. Rookie receiver Deebo Samuel led an incredibly young receiver group in snaps, and the team's once-deep backfield is no longer deep after Tevin Coleman's injury. Welcome to 2019: Dalton is the quarterback more likely to make a next-level throw in this game."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 04:25 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Following up on this, here is his prediction for this week.

"Cincinnati Bengals 24, San Francisco 49ers 14

1 p.m. ET (FOX) | Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati)

No team has received more love for losing in Week 1 than the Bengals, which is a very Bengals thing to have happen. Still: John Ross is a thing now. Second-year defensive end Sam Hubbard leading a loaded defensive line is a thing now. Andy Dalton being fun to watch and escaping the prime meridian of quarterbacks could become a thing in time if coach Zac Taylor's first impression proves telling.

Niners fans hope that Jimmy Garoppolo's first impression of this season proves to be misleading. Bookend pass rushers Dee Ford and Nick Bosa helped the 49ers defense set up 17 points in Tampa, but Jimmy G misfired often, threw a ghastly pick-six and didn't stand tough in the pocket despite excellent protection. Rookie receiver Deebo Samuel led an incredibly young receiver group in snaps, and the team's once-deep backfield is no longer deep after Tevin Coleman's injury. Welcome to 2019: Dalton is the quarterback more likely to make a next-level throw in this game."

bosa hasn't been practicing all week and likely out this coming game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 04:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: bosa hasn't been practicing all week and likely out this coming game.

That helps.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:21 PM)McC Wrote: O....kay.

You must win,almost never counts and I hope this loss does not come back to hurt us at end of season,as this is going to be a very hard fought season for sure and the ravens are looking very strong and our kicker cost us that game,plus the bad calls by the refs,Dalton did not fumble,his arm and hand was going forward and that should have been called an incomplete pass.Kills me we did not win that game,what a downer.Remember folks they lost that one,so do not build them up too much,as that will go to their heads and they will lay an egg coming up. Yawn :andy:
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 05:30 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: You must win,almost never counts and I hope this loss does not come back to hurt us at end of season,as this is going to be a very hard fought season for sure and the ravens are looking very strong and our kicker cost us that game,plus the bad calls by the refs,Dalton did not fumble,his arm and hand was going forward and that should have been called an incomplete pass.Kills me we did not win that game,what a downer.Remember folks they lost that one,so do not build them up too much,as that will go to their heads and they will lay an egg coming up. Yawn :andy:

For the love of everything holy, they DO NOT READ THIS BOARD.

It doesn't matter what we say here, it's not going to go to their heads.  And I would seriously doubt they are going to let a handful of "pundits" talking nice about them go to their heads either.
Reply/Quote

That's why I'm so excited about this game.  We'll see if they come up with opponent specific  schemes that are as successful as the Seattle game plan; and see if they correct their mistakes.

I'm already thrilled by what I saw the first game.  Have NO idea what their record will be, but if they build on that game it will be fun to watch.

I don't care if people say there are no moral victories.  I was so much more excited about that loss than so many of their past victories.
Reply/Quote
Ok, I agree that this guy is generally a little dweeb. But I don't see anything really condescending about any of this.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 08:55 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Ok, I agree that this guy is generally a little dweeb.  But I don't see anything really condescending about any of this.

That's somewhat why I posted it. Even our biggest detractor noticed the change in attitude out there.

Some people have claimed only Bengal fans would feel good about that loss, such a "Bengal thing to do".

Whelp, we've been noticed. However, we need a big win this week to keep the momentum going.

Who Dey New Dey!
Reply/Quote

Yeah, saw the same thing.

Love this new coaching staff working with these players. Could be special to say the least.
Reply/Quote