Our CB and the lack of takeaways
Lost in our defensive woes this season is our CB
Inability to be able to simply take the ball away
And play complimentry football at times to the offense
For a franchise that has drafted CBers rather high over the last
Decade I'm not seeing the ballhawking skills translate to the
NFL level.
WJ3 has whopping 2 INTS in 2.75 years
Dre Kirkpatrick hasn't had a pick since the AFL NFL merger.
Darquez Dennard 1 pick in 2 years
By comparsion Preston Brown had 2 in 2 years !!
Marcus Peters in 4 games with the Ravens has 2 INT and both are TDs!
BW Webb has dropped 3 this season that clown
It's not like the Bengals are facing HOF qbs week in week out
Either.....Delvin Hodges comes cold off the bench and our CB
Can't even bait him into a pick...good grief.
Darius Phillips thank god Is healthy
He looks like he has legit instincts for the ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 07:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Lost in our defensive woes this season is our CB
NFL level.

We've pretty much sucked in that department since Leon Hall and Terrance Newman left.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The scheme is bad and the secondary has to compensate for the three stooges at LB.

I'm looking forward to a new coaching staff next season.

The secondary began a down turn when Zimmer left and none of the DC's brought in since have been able to do a competent job.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 10:57 PM)jason Wrote: We've pretty much sucked in that department since Leon Hall and Terrance Newman left.

Remember Delta ONeal and Tory James 
I think in 2005 or 06 they had. 18 picks between them. I could be wrong but I know it was double digits if you added their INTS 
together.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 07:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Lost in our defensive woes this season is our CB
NFL level.

Dre has 11 career INTs, but none lately.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 01:09 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Remember Delta ONeal and Tory James 
I think in 2005 or 06 they had. 18 picks between them. I could be wrong but I know it was double digits if you added their INTS 
together.

It was 05... I was at the Packers game where they got Favre 5 times.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 01:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dre has 11 career INTs, but none lately.

I know... It's crazy. When he was playing limited snaps early on he seemed to get them. We all remember the MNF Peyton Manning pick six.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hard to get a pick when you're consistently 10 yards away from the ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 01:37 AM)jason Wrote: I know... It's crazy. When he was playing limited snaps early on he seemed to get them. We all remember the MNF Peyton Manning pick six.

No I don't. But I do remember him having a 100 yard INT return and fumbled it, untouched, before he crossed the goal line.

That's the Dre that I know.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Dennard never turns his head, ever ! Only way he gets a pic is if it bounces off the receiver and into his lap.
Reply/Quote
NFL level.

While I agree it is pathetic statistically, it isn't all on the CBs.  There is no pressure from the defensive line, and more importantly, the LBs can't cover at all so there is always an easier completion to the short middle.  Drew Brees was just like 5 yard throw, goes for 10...wash, rinse, repeat...over and over and over again.  The Bengals seem dead set to not get beat over the top (which, in fairness, rarely happens) but the RBs, TEs, and slot receivers simply kill the Bengals a slow death.  
Reply/Quote
Oh c'mon.. You guys make it sound like the bengals are just not good enough or something. Look on the bright side. They're good enough to keep you coming back year after year, building up your hopes and dreams and then building character in fans everywhere.. not exactly in a good way, but they are character builders..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 04:06 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: No I don't. But I do remember him having a 100 yard INT return and fumbled it, untouched, before he crossed the goal line.

That's the Dre that I know.

I don't remember that one. But way to flip the field position Dre! Amirite?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 10:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Dennard never turns his head, ever ! Only way he gets a pic is if it bounces off the receiver and into his lap.

I've noticed that, too.  It really annoys the heck out of me.  At least when he's covering the slot receiver, he get's a better read on the QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They have been targeted the least amount + have given up the least amount of receptions to WRs this year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
together.

Yes, I do. Deltha O’Neal and Tory James were amazing.

However, the entire 2005 defense as a team was not good. I think they were 20th or worse in scoring and yards allowed. However, this is par for the course in Cincinnati where defense gets ignored on a regular basis with the exception of when Mike Zimmer was here.
Reply/Quote
together.

It doesnt help either when your dline cant generate much of a pass rush and we dont have no real edge rushers....WJ3 though has been a disappointment. He is weak against the run and still cant seem to make a splash play once in a while inspite of our weak front 7 . At least Kirk and Dennard like to hit ...
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 10:57 PM)jason Wrote: We've pretty much sucked in that department since Leon Hall and Terrance Newman left.

In 2016 after Hall and nerwman were both gone the Bengals finished 3rd in the league in interceptions and 5th in pass efficiency defense.

(11-30-2019, 01:01 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The secondary began a down turn when Zimmer left and none of the DC's brought in since have been able to do a competent job. 

Zimmers last year here was 2013.  Here are the Bengals rating in interceptions and pass efficiency defense after he left.

...............Int.......Rate
2014........ 3rd...... 3rd
2015........ 3rd...... 5th
2016........ 3rd...... 5th
2017........20th..... 13th
2018........18th..... 26th
Reply/Quote
The Bengals defensive backfield has been underperforming this year as well as the rest of the defense.Although recently they have shown some improvement overall.Now if the offense could just pick it up and help them out,that would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 12:19 PM)jason Wrote: I don't remember that one. But way to flip the field position Dre! Amirite?

It’s one of those plays that just makes you laugh. No idea how he fumbles it. The Bengals scored the next play IIRC so it wasn’t catastrophic or anything.

https://youtu.be/855KmiK4vsQ
Reply/Quote