Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our D -- Defending a particular play
Is there one play that you, as a fan, as a football person/observer have watched and said that we need to improve on defending THAT play?

Two of them stick out to me. The WR screen pass and the mid-range TE pass down the middle. Are there others that we seemed to not defend very well?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Ironically, it was just on SportsCenter.

The Steelers "Power" run play with the pulling guard and Heath Miller sealing the weak side edge. Seeing that play ran 100 times in one game last season and ALWAYS working really sucked.

I'm not usually the yell and throw stuff at the TV type, but that got me close last season.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 10:03 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Is there one play that you, as a fan, as a football person/observer have watched and said that we need to improve on defending THAT play?

Two of them stick out to me.  The WR screen pass and the mid-range TE pass down the middle.  Are there others that we seemed to not defend very well?

(07-26-2015, 10:29 AM)YoungThundercat Wrote: Ironically, it was just on SportsCenter.

The Steelers "Power" run play with the pulling guard and Heath Miller sealing the weak side edge. Seeing that play ran 100 times in one game last season and ALWAYS working really sucked.

I'm not usually the yell and throw stuff at the TV type, but that got me close last season.

If you ask me, both of those scenarios point to one thing, poor LB play.  Weather its not having our best talent on the field, due to injury.  Or an unwillingness to invest in better, overall LB talent, teams will continue to find ways to exploit that weakness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 10:29 AM)YoungThundercat Wrote: Ironically, it was just on SportsCenter.

I think we'll be a lot better against the run this year with MJ back.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 10:40 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think we'll be a lot better against the run this year with MJ back.

People seem to underestimate his impact on the run defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 10:40 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think we'll be a lot better against the run this year with MJ back.

Absolutely. MJ's biggest strength is helping against the run. I hope he can help blow that play up this year.

Really, the only correct answer to OP's question is ANY Steelers play that goes for positive yardage.
Reply/Quote

No doubt.  But the one good thing about that was that  Hue started using that play with great success.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
My biggest issue is the defense rushing just four down linemen and the opposing offense going max protect. DBs do their job and cover for what seems like an eternity, as a mean game of pattycake breaks out with our four exhausted linemen. Opposing QB sits, bounces, waits....then checks it down to a RB for a 5 yard pass that turns in to a 15 yard gain. High %, no risk, and it extends drive after drive.

"Opposing team", you can insert putzburg, colts, pats, ravens, and surely broncos as Kubiak loves to do that to Cincy.....as he did in Baltimore and Houston.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2015, 10:03 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Is there one play that you, as a fan, as a football person/observer have watched and said that we need to improve on defending THAT play?

Two of them stick out to me.  The WR screen pass and the mid-range TE pass down the middle.  Are there others that we seemed to not defend very well?

TEs down the middle and up the seam have killed our defense because our backers haven't been able to defend it, which has killed us because tight end play is HUGE in our division.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 11:29 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: TEs down the middle and up the seam have killed our defense because our backers haven't been able to defend it, which has killed us because tight end play is HUGE in our division.

The TE seam has been a little nullified by Iloka.

The killer as another poster said has been the Bengals trying to rush 4 against max protect.
The Colts abused them with this.

You can have 6 guys in coverage but even they have difficulties covering 2-3 guys for 6 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 11:53 AM)Junglejuice Wrote: The TE seam has been a little nullified by Iloka.

The killer as another poster said has been the Bengals trying to rush 4 against max protect.
The Colts abused them with this.

You can have 6 guys in coverage but even they have difficulties covering 2-3 guys for 6 seconds.

I don't know about that......  we have been better, but this page shows that we still seem to struggle covering TEs.

That doesn't say specifically up the seams, but just seems kind of logical.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 12:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know about that......  we have been better, but this page shows that we still seem to struggle covering TEs.

That doesn't say specifically up the seams, but just seems kind of logical.

If you look at the in depth statistics of each game, you will see the most of the issue covering TEs last year was a LB problem.

Lamur, Vincent Rey, Maualuga, and even Burfict when he was in early in the season had their troubles with TEs. A lot of these plays were short/intermediate routes and I don't think you'd see our defense giving up the big TE up the middle play more often than the average NFL squad.

Iloka and Nelson have held down the fort very well, especially last season.
Reply/Quote
I would have to go along with a lot of the others and say TE's eating up our LBers in short to medium routes. Here's to hoping this years squad can correct that.
Reply/Quote
I would say one of the worst plays for our defense is a counter run to the left.

Having MJ will fix a lot of these problems, but last year many teams caught us on counter plays.

Lamur bites hard on them.
Reply/Quote
Any play after week 17.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 09:44 PM)Harmening Wrote: Any play after week 17.

But...but...Andy Dalton! Marvin Lewis!
Reply/Quote