Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Defense gives up big plays
(10-04-2015, 07:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: It doesn't seem to matter who we play against. Nobodies turn into superstars with this defense, and our corner backs aren't playing to a good standard.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the "bend but don't break" mentality, which i hate. I'm more used to seeing our defense carrying our offense to victory, but not vice versa.

I understand the dislike of bend but don't break, but today was the first time all year the D has allowed more than 20 points all year. If it can keep that up it will end the year as one of the top units.

Adam Jones and Iloka were out and they were probably playing better than anyone else in the secondary.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 10:25 PM)Fresno B Wrote: But to some it's all about the stats, not outcome.

That's ridiculous and you know it. Some of us are just concerned about how KC was able to move the ball up and down the field. Alex Smith had a personal best in terms of passing yards. If that doesn't concern you just a little then you're either lying or clueless.
Reply/Quote
Like I previously mentioned in other threads, this is a bend don't break type of defense and one I don't particularly like. One of these days, the offense won't be in sink and we will find ourselves in deep shit because the defense cannot man up and make plays. Too many missed tackles. Bone headed plays. Plain stupidity. I hope it changes when Burfict comes back. I don't personally like giving up a gold mine of yards to Alex Smith, and neither should they.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 12:33 AM)Utts Wrote: That's ridiculous and you know it. Some of us are just concerned about how KC was able to move the ball up and down the field. Alex Smith had a personal best in terms of passing yards. If that doesn't concern you just a little then you're either lying or clueless.

The way the league is now, most teams can move it well between the 20's and the Chiefs were behind all game.  The Bengals are 19th in total defense and 8th in scoring defense, so it's not like they have been bad.  Honestly, they are playing better than last year by a wide margin.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 12:50 AM)Whatever Wrote: The way the league is now, most teams can move it well between the 20's and the Chiefs were behind all game.  The Bengals are 19th in total defense and 8th in scoring defense, so it's not like they have been bad.  Honestly, they are playing better than last year by a wide margin.

19th in total defense, yikes
Reply/Quote
It amazes me that even though the Bengals are playing better than they have in years and the roster is jacked, our fans STILL find SOMETHING to be negative about.

Yea, they gave up a few plays to an Andy Reid run O. But they gave up zero TD's and sacked Alex Smith how many times??

Half full people, half full. Your life will improve, exponentially.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 02:02 AM)Utts Wrote: 19th in total defense, yikes

[Image: GIF-bye-disdain-disgust-disgusted-do-not...TF-GIF.gif]

Never a good thing. 

Reply/Quote
The defense was on the field for 36:53. They did well for how long they were out there. Not surprised they gave up a few big plays with so many snaps. Not too concerned.
Reply/Quote
I count myself among those worried about our defense. However, we are without our field general / best tackler and run defender in Vontaze, our best cover safety in Iloka, and Adam went out for most of the game. So yes, there are reasons our D is performing good, but not great.
[Image: mmubti.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't know what you guys are freaking out about. This same KC team moves the ball on everyone, not just us.

They only lost to Denver because of Charles 2 fumbles. They were also all up and down the field against them as well and they have one of the top defenses in the league. KC is no pushover.

They are like the Bengals of the last few years, give them a better qb and that team will dominate, until then they have is Smith.

Anyways when you blitz often, its a gamble and if the offense catches it you will give up chunks of yards.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 04:38 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't know what you guys are freaking out about. This same KC team moves the ball on everyone, not just us.

They only lost to Denver because of Charles 2 fumbles. They were also all up and down the field against them as well and they have one of the top defenses in the league. KC is no pushover.

They are like the Bengals of the last few years, give them a better qb and that team will dominate, until then they have is Smith.

Anyways when you blitz often, its a gamble and if the offense catches it you will give up chunks of yards.

Smith and Reid. Smith's reads have more to do about the play calling than the actual player himself. Smith does an excellent job of not turning the ball over. 

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:53 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The defense was on the field for 36:53. They did well for how long they were out there. Not surprised they gave up a few big plays with so many snaps. Not too concerned.

Agreed.  Their yards per play were much lower than ours, too.  They ran 73 to our 50 and only outgained us by 16 yards.  Plus, Charles is one hell of a player and Maclin is pretty talented as well, so I can accept that they both had good days against us.  Those two together had almost 2/3 of their total yards.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 07:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: It doesn't seem to matter who we play against. Nobodies turn into superstars with this defense, and our corner backs aren't playing to a good standard.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the "bend but don't break" mentality, which i hate. I'm more used to seeing our defense carrying our offense to victory, but not vice versa.

It seems like I keep having to say this.  Iloka was out.  Jones left the game early.  Kirkpatrick was playing hurt.  That is why our secondary gave up so many yards.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 02:02 AM)Utts Wrote: 19th in total defense, yikes

8th in scoring defense, GREAT!  (at the end of the day, this is the only defensive stat that matters)
Reply/Quote
There are definitely a couple of things to look at here.

On one hand, as some have said already, the fact that we're doing very well in scoring defense is great and technically that's what matters at the end of a football game. You don't lose for giving up more yards if you have more points on the scoreboard.

However, I do believe there are some things to be concerned about. We need Iloka back at 100%. Reggie hasn't been playing at his usual level this season. Our LBs are still liabilities in coverage (for the most part). I'm not really worried about our CBs as much as some are, people need to realize that every CB in the league gets burned at some point, and it doesn't seem like our guys are getting lit up more often than the average corner in the NFL. Look at opposing teams in the red zone against us, how many times do they take shots into the end zone on our secondary? They usually go to the underneath routes to expose our LBs the same way as they do to march up the field, but that becomes less of a weakness on a shorter field, which the Bengals have been doing an excellent job at stopping at that point.

As long as we're blowing out teams and winning games in the fashion we have been, it'll be hard for me to get too concerned with much on this team. The Bengals look great this year, the only issue seems to be the defense giving up chunks of yards. That isn't really an issue until those yards start turning into too many points, which can definitely happen, but I won't be too upset until it does happen.
Reply/Quote
At the moment the team is tied with Atlanta for third in the NFL in point differential (+44). D is doing just fine.

The pass D is a little banged up at the moment which can explain the recent struggles, but this is a Defense that kept Amari Cooper quiet week 1, & essentially shut out Keenan Allen in week 2. There are ups and downs for all offenses and defenses in every season, if a 15 point win is a source of frustration for you...you need to take Aaron Rodgers' advice from last year R E L A X.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs' big drives:

78 yards - 69 of the yards due to LB/S (mostly LB on this drive) not covering well or missing tackles.
58 yards - 44 came on one play, Reggie could have been in better position and was just too slow, Dre had to turn up his speed to chase down Maclin.
60 yards - 36 of the yards due to more short underneath routes and then 15 yards for Peko's penalty (which he made up for a bit with a 9 yard loss sack just a couple plays later)
49 yards - 27 more yards on LB/S coverage
58 yards - only 22 yards on LB/S coverage (woo!...I guess), this was the drive that Darqueze got beat for 33 yards. I want to say this was the only route further downfield than just a few yards that one of our CBs got beat on.
71 yards - this is where it was 29-15 Bengals, I don't remember this drive very well and the box score isn't helping my memory much. It looks like a lot of short plays but it's hard to tell who is at fault, especially when I don't remember them as well as the other drives. Not sure how to really "grade" this one.
47 yards - I must have completely missed this as the play-by-play is telling me that Conley caught a 44 yard pass and Dennard tackled him (so I'm guessing Darqueze got beat again??). Okay, so I guess that's 2 passes that traveled more than just a few yards in the air that were completed on our CBs yesterday.

I see some people worrying about our CBs, and that we give up big plays too much, but the reality is that we're getting torn up underneath because our LBs and safeties have been a liability in coverage more often than not. Reggie needs to play at the level that he's capable of, Iloka needs to come back 100%, and we really need Burfict out there. Can Dawson improve enough to get thrown out there for coverage purposes? We need to hope so. Like I said before though, I'm not going to get tooooo worried until we start losing games and this really starts to matter, but I can completely understand if some have a concern with this part of our team. These yards could turn into 7 points instead of 3 and then we're in trouble.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 10:04 PM)Utts Wrote: Alex Smith had a career day in terms of passing yards. I don't care for that much, not much at all.

Alex Smith couldn't find the end zone and he lost the game. A ten-year vet isn't going to peacock over his passing yards. 

That said, Jamaal Charles's YAC and his 6.8 per carry is a bit of a stain. He never broke the plane, though. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 12:33 AM)Utts Wrote: That's ridiculous and you know it. Some of us are just concerned about how KC was able to move the ball up and down the field. Alex Smith had a personal best in terms of passing yards. If that doesn't concern you just a little then you're either lying or clueless.

It is very concerning because the offense is not going to have a great day every week.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 02:40 AM)BengalB Wrote: It amazes me that even though the Bengals are playing better than they have in years and the roster is jacked, our fans STILL find SOMETHING to be negative about.

Yea, they gave up a few plays to an Andy Reid run O. But they gave up zero TD's and sacked Alex Smith how many times??

Half full people, half full. Your life will improve, exponentially.

Negative?  It's called improvement!  You don't think Marvin want's to improve on the amount of yardage and time of possession numbers?  Strive to be great, always.
Reply/Quote