Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Our Defensive Line has Disappeared
(10-14-2019, 03:11 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Hubbard is the only one really playing.

From what I saw, Geno was either playing the spy and keeping the pocket contained or just not playing well against the Ravens. Usually one on ones he's dominate. He was literally just standing there.

Hubbard and Billings...Maybe Tupou.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Geno has only recorded a sack in 3 of his last 16 games.  One of those was a three sack game, but it is still a point of concern for me.  Here is a comparison of Geno's last 16 games and the 16 games before that.

……………….last 16......prev 16
Record...…… 2-14 ……… 9-7
sacks...…….. 5 …………… 11
solo tkl…….. 19 …………. 30
QB hits...…. 10 …….……. 24

Pretty shocking drop off isn't it?
Reply/Quote
I am not certain Fred, but I sometimes do not see Atkins on the field. I don't know if they rotate him out or if he has an undisclosed injury or just is apathetic at this point. Do you have any stats on his playing time this year compared to previous years?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Sad to see. His position is not one you’d think would have such a drop off due to age.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 05:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not certain Fred, but I sometimes do not see Atkins on the field.   I don't know if they rotate him out or if he has an undisclosed injury or just is apathetic at this point.  Do you have any stats on his playing time this year compared to previous years?

Last three years he has played right around 70% of the snaps most games.  So no big change in his playing time.
Reply/Quote
The past 3 years, the defense has been on the field a lot. (seemingly more than in the previous 3 seasons)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When did he sign his extension? Is Geno really the type to mail it in, once he got paid?
Reply/Quote
We can't stop the run specifically on the edges so it is taking Geno and our pass rushers out of the game effectively.
The down and distances always seem to favor the opponents offense more so than our unit.
I look what we did against Seattle vs since then and it's shocking how bad this unit has become.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 05:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not certain Fred, but I sometimes do not see Atkins on the field.   I don't know if they rotate him out or if he has an undisclosed injury or just is apathetic at this point.  Do you have any stats on his playing time this year compared to previous years?

He is playing more than ever also playing more end then ever two. 
J24

Reply/Quote
We're giving up 5.3 YPC , we have given up 250 yards on the ground 3 out of the 5 games, we never play with a lead, and teams are only throwing under 30 times a game. So yeah our pass rush is going to struggle.
J24

Reply/Quote
Geno is the consummate hard working professional. No tackles. No sacks last game.

So I looked at his PFF rating and he's at 72.5. He has 1 sack all year.

Yeah 72.5 doesn't sound terrible...but Geno is usually in the mid to upper 80's.

When he regresses, it's a major indicator that coaching and scheme are the issue. And on defense, we've been relatively healthy until last game.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 06:52 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We're giving up 5.3 YPC , we have given up 250 yards on the ground 3 out of the 5 games,  we never play with a lead, and teams are only throwing under 30 times a game. So yeah our pass rush is going to struggle.

Don't you read the boards? We're inches away from being 4-2!
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 03:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It could be the scheme. He could be being told to do that.

Of course, that would be stupid, but stupid seems to be normal for some teams.

Using a DT as a spy against a quick and fast QB would be as dumb as sending Billings out into the flat in coverage. Oh wait, we do that too.

Honestly, with the injuries in the rotation, I wouldn't be surprised if they told Geno just to sit there and plug the lane. That's pretty much all he looked like he was doing. Several times I caught him just standing in the gap. With all the injuries, I'd say that was the game plan. I've seen him have pretty inactive games, but you at least see flashes of him in the backfield. I didn't see one single time against the Ravens. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:58 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Honestly, with the injuries in the rotation, I wouldn't be surprised if they told Geno just to sit there and plug the lane. That's pretty much all he looked like he was doing. Several times I caught him just standing in the gap. With all the injuries, I'd say that was the game plan. I've seen him have pretty inactive games, but you at least see flashes of him in the backfield. I didn't see one single time against the Ravens. 

Once the players realize the coaches are inept...and how could they not when they see Billings dropping into coverage? They'll give up.
Reply/Quote
I’m not going to pick on Geno Atkins first of all because he could break me in two with his mind but mostly because he's one of a bunch of consistently under-coached players on the Cincinnati roster. Right now Geno is doing his job absorbing blocks while the linebackers behind him whiff on everything.
Reply/Quote

Doesn't Geno have sickle cell? 

And yeah, as a team, we have one of the lowest sack counts in the league. 7, in 6 games. In comparison, league leading Panthers have 27 (twenty more). We have to focus on one thing and get good at it. Maybe all our coaches need to go, something has to change, we can't keep doing the same thing and being paid for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 12:05 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Doesn't Geno have sickle cell? 

And yeah, as a team, we have one of the lowest sack counts in the league. 7, in 6 games. In comparison, league leading Panthers have 27 (twenty more). We have to focus on one thing and get good at it. Maybe all our coaches need to go, something has to change, we can't keep doing the same thing and being paid for it.

That's good and all but it's hard to rush the passer when you're in constant 3rd & shorts. This team is giving up 5.6 YPC since Seattle. also the offense isn't scoring so we never have a lead so that hurts the pass rush.
So
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 12:20 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: That's good and all but it's hard to rush the passer when you're in constant 3rd & shorts. This team is giving up 5.6 YPC since Seattle. also the offense isn't scoring so we never have a lead so that hurts the pass rush.
So

Yep...and with the misdirection, if they rush too aggressively, they'll get burned. Not that they don't get burned anyways.

The talent on defense is much higher than the results. I get that our LB's are bad, but not this bad. Preston Brown was atleast an average LB before.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 04:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: DLine was/is the strength going into the season. 6 games in we see that wasn't saying much when you look at the other position groups.

It's not the scheme. The line outside of Geno has always been overrated. Another offseason listening to Dunlap tell us about the sack record he is after is more likely than a trade.

Hasn't said it in 2 years.

Nice try.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 09:53 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hasn't said it in 2 years.

Nice try.

Agreed. Dunlap is a solid all-around DE. Well this year it's really hard to see that on this team, but he generally is good against the run and gets decent pressure. He just isn't a guy that's going to get 16 sacks.

But, he does collapse the pocket at times which leads to others getting sacks.

Man...what's up with Carl Lawson? I know he's coming off of a major injury, but as a rookie he was a force. Then last year he got pressure but didn't finish sacks. This year, nothing from him.
Reply/Quote