Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our LB core
If Burfict can remain healthy this season, we might just have the best LB core in the league this season.

Dawson, Burfict, Maualuga. Should be an incredible season for our defense regardless.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 05:03 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: If Burfict can remain healthy this season, we might just have the best LB core in the league this season.

Dawson, Burfict, Maualuga. Should be an incredible season for our defense regardless.

It could also be the weakest part of the team very easily. Burfict may not play at all for all we know, Maualuga could fall back to his old self, Dawson may not be able to crack the starting lineup.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this group plays throughout the season. Hopefully Burfict and Dawson are healthy and impress. If so we should be in great shape.

I'm curious as to what kind of expectations people have for Dawson. He is a rookie and we know Marvin doesn't love throwing them out on the field unless he has no choice. I personally loved the pick, but it has also been a VERY long time since we drafted a good starting LB. Do you think he'll be ready to start week 1? Mid-season? or will he sit for the year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm amazed everyone keeps forgetting about A.J. Hawk. I think Dawson in the coaches best case scenario is one of the first off the bench, not starting unless there's numerous injuries in front of him.

Starters:
Burfict (if healthy)
Maualuga
Hawk
Reserves:
Lamur
Rey
Dawson
Flowers
Porter
DiMacnhe
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 05:59 PM)Ravage Wrote: I'm amazed everyone keeps forgetting about A.J. Hawk. I think Dawson in the coaches best case scenario is one of the first off the bench, not starting unless there's numerous injuries in front of him.

Starters:
Burfict (if healthy)
Maualuga
Hawk
Reserves:
Lamur
Dawson
Flowers
Porter
DiMacnhe

I like the Hawk addition, but if he is a starter we are in trouble. He has aged and lost a step, can't cover like he used to. I do think if used properly he could help this team win games though, but only as a backup/role player for our LB group.
Reply/Quote
If Hawk is a backup, or more likely just Tez insurance, then I think Lamur would be the one sliding in. He's got the 2.356 mil RFA tender, and started 13 games last year. Also, I forgot about Vincent Rey.
Reply/Quote
Wow, I did forget about AJ.

Dawson, Burfict, Hawk.

Amazing
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 05:03 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: If Burfict can remain healthy this season, we might just have the best LB core in the league this season.

I think Hawk over mauluga is better in any scenario. Rey has never had better stats than Hawk during his tenure in the nfl.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 07:21 PM)CincyProduct Wrote: I think Hawk over mauluga is better in any scenario. Rey has never had better stats than Hawk during his tenure in the nfl.

Stats don't mean everything, look at what our defense has looked like when Rey M. has missed time, he has a pretty large impact on this defense.
Reply/Quote
I definitely foresee Dawson starting, and I think Hawk will wind up playing a serious role. I just don't know where they'll play.

Dawson seems like a fit a WLB due to his coverage skills and comparisons to Burfict, but it will be more complicated if/when Burfict returns.

So if Dawson is at WLB and Mauluga is in the middle, does that mean Hawk plays SLB over Lamur? Also, where do they slot Dawson when Burfict returns?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 07:21 PM)CincyProduct Wrote: I think Hawk over mauluga is better in any scenario. Rey has never had better stats than Hawk during his tenure in the nfl.

I think having Rey in on run plays and Hawk in Rey's spot on passing plays would be ideal.
Reply/Quote
Burfict (if healthy): One of the best in the league when healthy.
Maualuga: Solid. He isn't great. Sometimes has bouts of being bad, but I mean decent enough.
Hawk: An okay veteran player. Lots of experiences and has a Super Bowl. Seems to be on a down trend of his career. Was he part of the Packers problems or swallowed up by a bad defense in general?
Lamur: Okay guy for depth, which he should be.
Rey: I think Vinnie has a lot of potential. Played well when he has started. Definitely a quality guy of the bench if nothing else.
Dawson: Don't know. Seems like a huge value pick. We'll have to see.
Flowers: Don't remember him.
Porter: He's always hurt isn't he? So I know nothing much.
DiMancnhe: I remember he showed some quality in the pre-season, maybe he can be solid depth on the bench.

If we hit on Dawson then one of the other guys makes for a strong starting lineup and a strong bench IMO. We got some guys that can't stay healthy that would be good off the bench and others that can't stay healthy and we haven't gotten much of a look at. Injuries is probably the biggest worry for our linebackers.
Reply/Quote
If everybody is healthy:

3 backer sets = WLB-Burfict - MLB-Maualuga - SLB-Hawk

2 backer sets = MLB-Burfict - NLB-Lamur

Rey first back-up at WLB, Dawson first Backup at SLB/MLB and Flowers first backup at NLB.
Reply/Quote
Unlike last year, with the moves we've made I actually feel pretty confident about our LB core. While AJ Hawk is a bit older, from what I've read he is from around Cincinnati and always wanted to play here, so I see no reason why he couldn't put up a couple more good years of LB play at 31 years old. Fingers crossed of course Tongue
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote
I'm excited to see how Dawson does in training camp and preseason. Lewis as we know doesn't have a history of starting rookies unless of injury but lets hope he makes such an impact that they can't keep him on the bench.

Haven't seen much of Hawk so I'm not sure how he does vs the run. May keep Maualuga in at Mike or Sam for run support.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 02:25 AM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: I'm excited to see how Dawson does in training camp and preseason. Lewis as we know doesn't have a history of starting rookies unless of injury but lets hope he makes such an impact that they can't keep him on the bench.

Haven't seen much of Hawk so I'm not sure how he does vs the run. May keep Maualuga in at Mike or Sam for run support.

I feel like one of Marv's redeeming qualities is that he is good at finding talent at LB. I'm pretty confident that Dawson will be good.
Reply/Quote
I want to see what Porter can do. The coaches were high on him before the injuries.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 04:05 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: I want to see what Porter can do.  The coaches were high on him before the injuries.

He was drafted in 2013. Has he had 2 season ending injuries?
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 04:17 AM)treee Wrote: He was drafted in 2013. Has he had 2 season ending injuries?

Looks like he is viewed as a SAM backer. Season ending shoulder injury in 2013. An apparently a knee injury last year. Rotoworld says he's only made one game appearance in his 2 years with the team.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 04:37 AM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: Looks like he is viewed as a SAM backer. Season ending shoulder injury in 2013. An apparently a knee injury last year. Rotoworld says he's only made one game appearance in his 2 years with the team.

Well it's good that the injuries were two different body parts. Perhaps it's just one of those cases of bad luck.
Reply/Quote
Dump Porter, bring in khaseem greene
Reply/Quote