Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our LB core
There is finally some depth in this group. Although, I can't really call it the best group in the league when we only have 1 guy that has been a steady Pro-Bowl caliber player over the past few years.

I haven't forgot about Hawk - I actually think he ends up starting quite a few games this year and brings stability and talent to this group. I look for him to have a re-birth in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 05:59 PM)Ravage Wrote: I'm amazed everyone keeps forgetting about A.J. Hawk. I think Dawson in the coaches best case scenario is one of the first off the bench, not starting unless there's numerous injuries in front of him.

Starters:
Burfict (if healthy)
Maualuga
Hawk
Reserves:
Lamur
Rey
Dawson
Flowers
Porter
DiMacnhe

I hope Hawk never starts. Not because he stinks, but because the others are good.

I think people are forgetting the V Rey had a good year last year. I see him starting before Dawson.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 05:10 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was really hoping we'd find a way to get Greene back in 2013. I'm wondering if he's not that good or if it was Chicago's system.

I was a big fan coming out. I think his best spot is at WILL on a 4-3 team. I do not think he would make that great of a MLB; which is where Chicago was using him.
Reply/Quote
Burfict-stud WLB, may play a few less reps even if he's cleared and if others step up in nickle roles. He gives them the potential to have a good LB group by cleaning up plays all over the field. Burfict's health sets off a domino effect, but this group looks solid IF he's healthy.

Maualuga- 2 down starting MLB. They paid a premium to return stability so get used to him there. They put him in the spot he needed to be in and the run defense looked much better with him in there.

Hawk- A glue guy that was a cheap signing. He fits the role as a top reserve or fringe LB across the board if need be. I'll take his awareness and less than average strength and athleticism at SLB, that position only gets 40% of the snaps anyway.

Dawson- We keep hearing it, he's a gamer with low test numbers. I see great instincts and I'll take that over a guy that gets to the wrong spot quicker. This quote from his nfl.com profile stood out to me: "Excels in pass coverage, allowing just 35.7 percent of passes against him to be completed." I don't know where similar players stand but he does sit like a hawk in zone and has a nose for the ball. No matter if Marvin often sits rookies, Dawson can climb the ranks quickly in this group.

Lamur- Giving him a high tender could mean they still see his upside as a WLB/nickle Lb, or they just couldn't stand to lose a core LB. He really needs to carve out a niche for himself at those two roles as he didn't play so well when moved around last year. A guy like Flowers at a fraction of the cost could bump Lamur off the roster if the cut to 6.

Rey- He's in a similar spot with Lamur, they need vet depth but either are expendable if enough of the others excel. He's been a solid ST guy that can play nickle, but still lacks strength at MLB and made a lot of Caleb Miller type tackles well down field last year. Even at 2.5M, I'd like to go to war with a versatile LB like Rey but he needs to earn it.

Flowers- He's still very quick and very raw, but he has the talent to be the 7th guy or 6th due to injury or bumping someone off. Yet another WLB/nickle guy, but they think a lot of him.

Porter/DiManche/Carter/Roach/Johnson- Someone could have a great camp, but these are the guys on the outside looking in. Porter has the best shot. He has to stay healthy, and does have the advantage of a pass rushing SLB angle they could really use. DiManche has raw skill that hasn't translated to much more than a ST guy that played in spot duty. Carter was brought in and could be cut and brought back if someone gets hurt. Roach was an undersized inside backer but could be a PS guy that could come in handy. Nico is pretty one dimensional as a run defending MLB, they have enough guys that can slide over if need be. Any one of them could make it but it would take a lot to make it, especially if they keep 6.
Reply/Quote