Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our LB's and Secondary have Regressed Horribly
Some of this has to be on coaching/preparation.

The worst: Jesse Bates is at 29.3 on the year. That's the lowest PFF rating I ever recall seeing! He was looking like a future Pro Bowl player last year.

Williams: 42.7
Webb - 33.2
William Jackson - 43.2
Kirkpatrick - 54.2
Vigil - 42.5
Preston Brown - 52.4

This is bad considering Lou was a Secondary whisperer.
Reply/Quote
Backers lack talent.
DBs lack inability to understand responsibility in zone reads.

Neither position tackled well against the 49ers.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just for fun, how did Devin Bush grade out? He made a huge play for them at the end of the game, curious how he’s performing.
Reply/Quote
The sad thing is that Bates and Jackson looked like budding stars. Now they look like special teamers.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some of this has to be on coaching/preparation.

The worst: Jesse Bates is at 29.3 on the year. That's the lowest PFF rating I ever recall seeing! He was looking like a future Pro Bowl player last year.

Webb - 33.2
William Jackson - 43.2
Kirkpatrick - 54.2
Vigil - 42.5
Preston Brown - 52.4

For as good as a game play and execution was week 1 on Defense none of that was there week 2....

maybe that one dude was right they had too much confidence after 1 decent showing idk.  but not ready to jump off any cliffs yet. season is young
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: For as good as a game play and execution was week 1 on Defense none of that was there week 2....

maybe that one dude was right they had too much confidence after 1 decent showing idk.  but not ready to jump off any cliffs yet. season is young

SF seemed to know EXACTLY how to attack them too. Misdirection.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The sad thing is that Bates and Jackson looked like budding stars. Now they look like special teamers.

Yes, lets all just forget every game we have ever watched Bates and Jackson play except this one.

That makes the drama queen panic so much more effective.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, lets all just forget every game we have ever watched Bates and Jackson play except this one.

That makes the drama queen panic so much more effective.

I agree. We need Haslett and Coyle back!!!
Reply/Quote
I think we respond and win at Buffalo next week.
Reply/Quote
I think playing against a team with one of the better offensive minds in the league is what wrecked the defense yesterday.

Kyle Shanahan knew that we had less athletic linebackers on the field most of the time. He used misdirection all game. It was wildly effective, and Anarumo never was able to find an answer for it. This helped set up the pass when they needed it. There were just no answers from our end scheme-wise.

Would it have helped to have linebackers that were a little quicker, yeah probably, but I think the scheme was still what made the game go the way it did. Garropolo isn't anything great. He threw into quadruple coverage on the WJ3 interception. If the bengals could have found a way to but the brakes on misdirection run plays, there's a good chance that he'd have made more mistakes for them to capitalize on.

I hope Pratt is good. We could have used a player with his alleged skill set yesterday. I also hope Lou Ananrumo learned a lesson from getting worked by a top offensive play caller from the first drive on. On to Buffalo.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:28 PM)thillan Wrote: Just for fun, how did Devin Bush grade out? He made a huge play for them at the end of the game, curious how he’s performing.

Holy crap, did you see Kwan Alexander all over the field for the 49rs?  Remember when everyone was bashing them for overpaying him?   They should be smart and invest in players like Hart and Preston Brown.    We'll rue the day the Steelers jumped us to grab Bush. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:28 PM)thillan Wrote: Just for fun, how did Devin Bush grade out? He made a huge play for them at the end of the game, curious how he’s performing.

Devin Bush:
Overall = 51.0
Run Defense = 62.8
Pass Rush = 69.9
Coverage = 40.3
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:57 PM)samhain Wrote: I think playing against a team with one of the better offensive minds in the league is what wrecked the defense yesterday.  

Kyle Shanahan knew that we had less athletic linebackers on the field most of the time.  He used misdirection all game.  It was wildly effective, and Anarumo never was able to find an answer for it.  This helped set up the pass when they needed it.  There were just no answers from our end scheme-wise.

Would it have helped to have linebackers that were a little quicker, yeah probably, but I think the scheme was still what made the game go the way it did.  Garropolo isn't anything great.  He threw into quadruple coverage on the WJ3 interception.  If the bengals could have found a way to but the brakes on misdirection run plays, there's a good chance that he'd have made more mistakes for them to capitalize on.  

I hope Pratt is good.  We could have used a player with his alleged skill set yesterday.  I also hope Lou Ananrumo learned a lesson from getting worked by a top offensive play caller from the first drive on.  On to Buffalo.

Hopefully other NFL Coordinators don't figure out that our LB's are bad and our Secondary can't tackle. Maybe we can keep it a secret?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Devin Bush:
Overall = 51.0
Run Defense = 62.8
Pass Rush = 69.9
Coverage = 40.3

Yeah, Bush has struggled in coverage early on. Looks a step slow as he needs to learn the system.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah, Bush has struggled in coverage early on. Looks a step slow as he needs to learn the system.

Bush wasn't really a coverage guy in college anyway though. He's just a fast guy that can attack the LOS. That's why I never understood the overwhelming desire to make him a Bengal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some of this has to be on coaching/preparation.

Webb - 33.2
William Jackson - 43.2
Kirkpatrick - 54.2
Vigil - 42.5
Preston Brown - 52.4

Have faith that Bates and William Jackson will be ok because they have talent. No one should be surprised Webb is bad , he’s been on like 7 different teams in 6 years and was praised by Hobs and company as being a big free agent addition lol. Vigil has always been overrated. I had some faith that a healthy Preston Brown would help in stopping the run. Brown finished the game with 14 tackles but most were after the RB gained 5 plus yards. Brown is slow and it seems like he’s not the answer either at linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hopefully other NFL Coordinators don't figure out that our LB's are bad and our Secondary can't tackle. Maybe we can keep it a secret?
1.) You damn well no the secondary is better than this they showed it at the end of last season. Bates and Jackson in particular. They will be playing a lot better probably sooner than later.
2.) Maybe they will actually start to mix Pratt into the game plan. One of his strengths is his athlectism. Why didn't they play IDK but they should play him more. Like the guy said if he is who they think he is then it will be a major improvement.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bush wasn't really a coverage guy in college anyway though. He's just a fast guy that can attack the LOS. That's why I never understood the overwhelming desire to make him a Bengal.

Interesting, thanks for the grades! Wonder what fans there think of him right now then
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bush wasn't really a coverage guy in college anyway though. He's just a fast guy that can attack the LOS. That's why I never understood the overwhelming desire to make him a Bengal.

Our LBers were really bad; problem is the Draft wasn't that great in terms of off LB talent.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I didn't want him. Now Devin White I was interested in.

I probably still draft Jonah if they are both there though.

But, I also sign a LB in free agency if I'm GM.
Reply/Quote