Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Our Linebackers Are The Worst In Coverage
Our linebackers cannot stop passing offenses. I just saw these stats and it's mind-blowing how awful it is.

The linebackers have been targeted a league high 119 times.

They've given up 53 first downs (Worst in NFL)

They've given up 987 yards (Worst in NFL)

The linebacking corp may be the Bengals biggest flaw this year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Our linebackers cannot stop passing offenses. I just saw these stats and it's mind-blowing how awful it is.

Haslett - coach of the year!  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fred will bring some stats in a min and say we are a top 5 defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haslett - coach of the year!  Ninja

For our opponents

(10-30-2018, 08:23 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Fred will bring some stats in a min and say we are a top 5 defense.

We're tied for the 5th most INTs.
That's all I got.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Wolf I have followed this team for a while and it's been a long time and in fact I cannot remember the last Bengle coverage linebacker maybe Brian Simmons.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haslett - coach of the year!  Ninja

While he's not done a good job (see: tackling, or lack thereof), I think everyone who was realistic knew he was trying to polish a turd this year with the LBs.

A LB group where Nickerson, Evans, Vigil, and Rey are getting a lot of snaps was never going to be good.

Burfict being suspended was something we knew about already, and him getting hurt wasn't a surprise to anyone who's watched him for the last few years (averaged 7 games missed the last 4 years, is already at 5 this year).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the statistical analysis to confirm what most of us have already been thinking. The knee jerk reaction might be "it's got to be the coaching", and I would agree, to a point. I think it goes much deeper than that, but think more budgetary.. Yes, ownership doesn't want to shell out the $$$ for what it takes to have capable LBs in a 4-3 defense.

They seem to have gotten all caught up in Edge Rusher phenomenon, that they forgot that quality LBs that can stop the run, cover the pass, and blitz the QB are the heartbeat of a successful 4-3 defense. Sure, it takes 11 men committed to a common goal to be truly successful, but if you stack your defense strong up the middle (NT, LB, and Safety), you automatically force offenses to play the edges of the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This franchise has invested almost nothing I to the position. The talent flat out isn't there. They could be a little improved when Vigil and Burfict get back.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: While he's not done a good job (see: tackling, or lack thereof), I think everyone who was realistic knew he was trying to polish a turd this year with the LBs.

A LB group where Nickerson, Evans, Vigil, and Rey are getting a lot of snaps was never going to be good.

Burfict being suspended was something we knew about already, and him getting hurt wasn't a surprise to anyone who's watched him for the last few years (averaged 7 games missed the last 4 years, is already at 5 this year).

This is Haslett’s third season as LB coach. He should have improved the LBs by now. He hasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is Haslett’s third season as LB coach. He should have improved the LBs by now. He hasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In his defense they handed him a bunch of late round, undrafted guys and said, "Here! Turn this mess servicable!" Now he's obviously failed, but how much of that's directly on him I don't know
Reply/Quote
Marvin fancies himself the LBer whisperer. I think him thinking he can polish any turd into a top shelf LBer plays into this.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Our linebackers cannot stop passing offenses. I just saw these stats and it's mind-blowing how awful it is.

It does seem like every 3rd and 8 or more is converted in the same spot right in the middle of the field. I have no idea who has coverage on all these plays but I have to imagine it’s the LBs a lot of the time.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
If i was as smart as Marvin (think the turd who pokes its head out of the water) with two of our starters down. And had to choose between a washed up vet who is totally done. And a second year undrafted free agent who shouldnt be in the league. And a rookie LB we basically traded up for. I would for sure give ZERO defensive snaps to our athletic 3rd round pick LB.

Its been written in stone for years. Aint winning shit with this shithead
Reply/Quote
Our LBers have the physical attributes built to stuff the run & take up space, not to cover. It’s an antiquated philosophy in the tough, ‘run heavy’ AFCN. This is a passing league & division, trending towards offenses resembling the college passing game. It blows my mind that Marvin hasn’t figured this out & adjusted.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 09:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin fancies himself the LBer whisperer. I think him thinking he can polish any turd into a top shelf LBer plays into this.

Yet the evidence makes it clear he is full of shit in this regard.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:23 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Fred will bring some stats in a min and say we are a top 5 defense.

Either that, or he'll tell us that this is history, and history means nothing because tomorrow's a new day.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 10:31 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Our LBers have the physical attributes built to stuff the run & take up space, not to cover. It’s an antiquated philosophy in the tough, ‘run heavy’ AFCN. This is a passing league & division, trending towards offenses resembling the college passing game. It blows my mind that Marvin hasn’t figured this out & adjusted.

It's all about the speed and technique with that position now.  Guys who can't run sideline to sideline are going the way of the dinosaur.  And yes, why the hell can't Marvin see this?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 10:38 PM)McC Wrote: It's all about the speed and technique with that position now.  Guys who can't run sideline to sideline are going the way of the dinosaur.  And yes, why the hell can't Marvin see this?

Marvin is hard headed. Much like his maligned owner. Birds of a feather ...

Problem is though, that RB’s can gash us (running the ball) just as easily as wide open TE’s or crossing WR’s. It really makes one wonder what these LBers are even doing on the field, since they can’t seem to play to their strengths either.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Going into the season it was pretty clear LB and OL were the weakest spots and this would cost us games
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I want to see what a unit of Vigil, Evans, and Vontaz can do starting. We haven't seen those three together this season that much.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote