Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our O-Line Sucks
Running game, hah.

What running game? Gio outrunning linemen who already penetrated the backfield

Can someone look me in the eye and say they trust Jake Fisher and Russel Bodine to give us enough of a run game to take pressure off Andy?

Get ready for a lot more quick passess. Better hope Andy gels with Lafell and his rookies sooner than later.
Reply/Quote
Not really news. Since 2011, they have only been above average in rushing YPC once.

2011: 26th (3 way tie)
2012: 18th (3 way tie)
2013: 27th (tied)
2014: 10th (3 way tie)
2015: 21st (4 way tie)

There's rarely been more than a handful of teams worse at rushing efficiency than the Bengals. It's why they keep The Piano Man around, he's so "good" at his job.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2011: 26th (3 way tie)

this was also the year Marvin Jones was hurt, Tyler Eifert was out, AJ kept having injuries, and Andy had an off year.

Hmm....
Reply/Quote
Our offensive line will be fine Boiling,Zeitler,and Whitworth are all very good players.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:19 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Running game, hah.

What running game? Gio outrunning linemen who already penetrated the backfield

Can someone look me in the eye and say they trust Jake Fisher and Russel Bodine to give us enough of a run game to take pressure off Andy?

Get ready for a lot more quick passess. Better hope Andy gels with Lafell and his rookies sooner than later.

They're building a good OL the right way, but look at the upside of what some of the youngsters have to work with.  Bodine has to prove himself to us fans to gain trust, so set him aside.  Fisher and Westerman are both very athletic and pretty technically sound coming out of college.  Neither are beastly run blockers, but I'd rather have their extreme to keep Andy whole than run blockers that are weak pass blockers.  A good running game takes pressure off the QB but bad pass blocking is worse.  Like others say, the vets are good and Cincy has solid chemistry which is valuable.  Lets hope there aren't any more injuries until Ced comes back and Bodine actually improves this year.  
Reply/Quote
Above average at best

Reply/Quote
We have a top 3 pass blacking offensive line and in this pass happy league that's all that matters Andy always throws it early but i would say on 75 percent of passes he has a good extra second in the pocket but as long as he has all that time which really he has has since 2012 we could have no running back and be okay bc we have exceptional pass blockers. Also not sure why you mentioned jake fisher since he isn't even a starter
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 07:29 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We have a top 3 pass blacking offensive line and in this pass happy league that's all that matters Andy always throws it early but i would say on 75 percent of passes he has a good extra second in the pocket but as long as he has all that time which really he has has since 2012 we could have no running back and be okay bc we have exceptional pass blockers. Also not sure why you mentioned jake fisher since he isn't even a starter

This is accurate but brings up a key element to this offensive line:  short yardage and goalline.  The Bengals have a strong offense.  I doubt many would argue about that, but many times it seems as though they either have to throw it on third-and-two or they simply don't convert these opportunities with the running game.

This is why I like the idea of keeping Jeff Luc and having Hewitt play more traditional H-back and TE.  Not only will it keep Hewitt healthier (possibly), but it brings power to the short yardage game.  The so-called "unbalanced line" where there is an extra OT in the game only spreads the defense out a bit wider, but it doesn't necessarily allow for a true hammer up the middle.  Luc was bringing the wood Friday night.  If the Bengals use the fullback with two TEs (one possibly being the OT, Fisher) they could not only spread the defensive line out wide, but hammer them up the gut with Luc.  

Yes, they had this capability with Hewitt, but I think Luc is tailor-made for short yardage plows up the middle.  I really, really like having a battering ram like him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 07:29 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We have a top 3 pass blacking offensive line and in this pass happy league that's all that matters Andy always throws it early but i would say on 75 percent of passes he has a good extra second in the pocket but as long as he has all that time which really he has has since 2012 we could have no running back and be okay bc we have exceptional pass blockers. Also not sure why you mentioned jake fisher since he isn't even a starter

Not sure I understand where you come up with the 75% of passes he gets an extra second in the pocket.  Truth is Dalton has the 2nd fasted release time in the NFL behind Tom Brady, and they are very close, like a 1/10 of a second within one another.

If anything Dalton makes the line look better in pass protection than they actually are!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not really news. Since 2011, they have only been above average in rushing YPC once.

2011: 26th (3 way tie)

There's rarely been more than a handful of teams worse at rushing efficiency than the Bengals. It's why they keep The Piano Man around, he's so "good" at his job.

What are you even talking about?  I hear he is EXCELLENT at Mikey's dinner parties..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
As the regular season unfolds we can properly judge this current version of OL.
Reply/Quote
Im confident in their pass blocking. But run blocking wise, Im iffy on, especially in between the tackles. It will be a wait and see on the right tackle spot obviously. And on the other side Whit seems to do his best run blocking on pulls to his right or left to get into open space.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 08:57 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Not sure I understand where you come up with the 75% of passes he gets an extra second in the pocket.  Truth is Dalton has the 2nd fasted release time in the NFL behind Tom Brady, and they are very close, like a 1/10 of a second within one another.

If anything Dalton makes the line look better in pass protection than they actually are!

Been saying this for a few years now. That's not to say the entire line is terrible. We all know which piece needs to be replaced the most.

Reply/Quote
Our Center sucks, get it right. Everyone else is very good. Need to replace the Center and the entire OL will be tops
in the league. Fisher, Ogbuehi and Westerman all could be great in the future and Whitworth, Boling and Zeitler are
all pretty damn good right now.

We could have lot worse problems.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our Center sucks, get it right. Everyone else is very good. Need to replace the Center and the entire OL will be tops
in the league. Fisher, Ogbuehi and Westerman all could be great in the future and Whitworth, Boling and Zeitler are
all pretty damn good right now.

We could have lot worse problems.

and I was all excited a few years back when we traded up a bit to get our Center   heard all about how strong he was and all this jazz      gotta admit, I'm kind of disappointed with how this is turning out.  but seriously hoping (against tall odds, I admit) that come regular season, we'll see a totally different guy snapping the ball    don't know how that kind of transformation would happen, but hope is all I've got right now, certainly haven't seen much yet in his career... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 12:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im confident in their pass blocking. But run blocking wise, Im iffy on, especially in between the tackles. It will be a wait and see on the right tackle spot obviously. And on the other side Whit seems to do his best run blocking on pulls to his right or left to get into open space.

Honestly, pass blocking is the only thing I care about because Hill can hit the holes quick enough and with enough power that the run blocking won't even need to be that great, but I'm worried about keeping Dalton upright and giving him time to drop back and throw.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 08:57 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Not sure I understand where you come up with the 75% of passes he gets an extra second in the pocket.  Truth is Dalton has the 2nd fasted release time in the NFL behind Tom Brady, and they are very close, like a 1/10 of a second within one another.

Its not an actual number just that i have seen every game since he came jnto the league and for the most part he always had time to hold thr ball longer if need be... Also fir people who shitting on their run blocking in 2014 i bey nobody was when their run blocking was 5th 7th or 9th depending on what website you use and this year we were 11th so im not sure why people are cracking on a top 10 pass block and run block offensive line
(08-16-2016, 12:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im confident in their pass blocking. But run blocking wise, Im iffy on, especially in between the tackles. It will be a wait and see on the right tackle spot obviously. And on the other side Whit seems to do his best run blocking on pulls to his right or left to get into open space.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 05:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Its not an actual number just that i have seen every game since he came jnto the league and for the most part he always had time to hold thr ball longer if need be...  Also fir people who shitting on their run blocking in 2014 i bey nobody was when their run blocking was 5th 7th or 9th depending on what website you use and this year we were 11th so im not sure why people are cracking on a top 10 pass block and run block offensive line

So do our RBs just suck?  I mean, I love the team, the whole team (including Oline), but why are we so average (or below average) on the ground?  If it's not the Oline's run blocking ability, is it the RBs ability?  Or just bad play call against the defense's play call (consistently)? 
Reply/Quote
Way too early to throw out such condemnations
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:22 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: and I was all excited a few years back when we traded up a bit to get our Center   heard all about how strong he was and all this jazz      gotta admit, I'm kind of disappointed with how this is turning out.  but seriously hoping (against tall odds, I admit) that come regular season, we'll see a totally different guy snapping the ball    don't know how that kind of transformation would happen, but hope is all I've got right now, certainly haven't seen much yet in his career... Mellow

In the end you have to blame PA cause that is the guy HE wanted and has not coached up yet.

But the rest of the OL is still pretty damn good and if a guy like Westerman, Hopkins or Cooper show up we could be great.

I have lost hope on Bodine personally. But hey, hope he gives me hope again. Mellow
Reply/Quote