Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our OL in a nutshell
(09-16-2017, 03:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Agreed. Also, when was the last time we actually formed a proper pocket with a nose the QB can step into? Or actually sealed the end properly so the RB could get outside? And lest we forget Palmer also (with Ghiacuc) had pockets with no nose and it messed up his passing too. 

Hmm...probably 1990.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Teams can win in the league and can win in the playoffs with an average line. That is as long as they have very good skill players. A very good o-line just makes it easier for the skill guys to do their thing.

But a horrible offensive line, like the one the Bengals currently have as of today, makes it extremely difficult to win a lot of games, let alone winning in the playoffs.

At this point it is inexcusable for Paul Alexander to still have a job, especially if he was part of the decision process of the oline personnel. Then to couple that with the poor technique being taught, it's pretty sad that Zampese had to go (though I agree with that decision), yet PA stays.

Listening to Lapham on the radio yesterday, he came as close as he is probably allowed to call out Alexander. To paraphrase he mentioned that he and Paul hasn't seen much eye to eye over the years with coaching of the o-line. And also briefly talked about how every lineman is different and should be coached individually differently based on their skills, not the same across the board. Again that is paraphrasing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
During Draft and after draft I said this team could work around its issues on the line, but i never expected it to be this bad. In the Houston game the best player on the line was our 3rd string Right guard. Cedric O and Fisher are the biggest draft mistakes this team has ever made. Its not even just that they drafted two tackles, but they pissed on one of the best left tackles in the league multiple times and one of our core leaders on the team. I am just happy that Whitworth will still be a pro bowler in this league while Lewis and Alexander are both shit canned this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: During Draft and after draft I said this team could work around its issues on the line, but i never expected it to be this bad.  In the Houston game the best player on the line was our 3rd string Right guard.  Cedric O and Fisher are the biggest draft mistakes this team has ever made.  Its not even just that they drafted two tackles, but they pissed on one of the best left tackles in the league multiple times and one of our core leaders on the team.  I am just happy that Whitworth will still be a pro bowler in this league while Lewis and Alexander are both shit canned this year.

Ced and Fisher are FAR from the worst draft mistakes. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ced and Fisher are FAR from the worst draft mistakes. 

Nope not even close.  for them to take round 1 and round 2 Tackles that have shown zero promise is such an epic fail that no singular draft pick can compare.  You give me a shot to draft 2 offensive tackles in the first two rounds its almost impossible i don't come up with a serviceable option.  

Reply/Quote
I will even expand upon this further. you guys think this is bad now just wait till we play good teams

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:28 PM)Okeana Wrote: I will even expand upon this further.  you guys think this is bad now just wait till we play good teams

Are you implying the Texans dont have a good front 7?
This explains why you think Ced/Fish are worse than Kijana, Klinger or Akili. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 03:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It all comes down to skill set. 
a 6-8 340lbs behemoth with shitty skills will be shitty. 
a 6-5 295lbs "small" OT with great skills will be great. 

Exactly.

Whitworth was a top 3 LT at 350 pounds.
He's still a top 3 LT at 315.

Technique trumps all. Its also why Jose Altuve can hit 25 HRs consistently, while Pete Incaviglia did it once (or twice lol)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Exactly.

Whitworth was a top 3 LT at 350 pounds.
He's still a top 3 LT at 315.

Technique trumps all. Its also why Jose Altuve can hit 25 HRs consistently, while Pete Incaviglia did it once (or twice lol)

Technique and "want to" offensive linemen have to want to drive a guy into the ground lol. Want to is very important. Right now they have as Collinsworth kept repeating "Finesse" Linemen....makes me want to throw up.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ced and Fisher are FAR from the worst draft mistakes. 

You're right, Ced and Fisher are likely not the worst draft mistakes of this team.  But, they are certainly worthy to be in the conversation.  Many still consider Andre Smith to be somewhat of a bust, as he's played a total what, 2 complete seasons in what is now his 9th year in the league?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Technique and "want to" offensive linemen have to want to drive a guy into the ground lol. Want to is very important. Right now they have as Collinsworth kept repeating "Finesse" Linemen....makes me want to throw up.

Yup,

I fully agree with all the technique stuff Royal, Truck and others are talking. But I still maintain Ogbuehi's single biggest problem is deep down in football isn't his true passion. He's got no mean streak, just kinda goes thru the motions.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:29 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Are you implying the Texans dont have a good front 7?
This explains why you think Ced/Fish are worse than Kijana, Klinger or Akili. 

Ced is well on his way to being on that list, IMO. Akili will always be tops, but barring a drastic turnaround, Ced is somewhere high on the list.

(09-16-2017, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're right, Ced and Fisher are likely not the worst draft mistakes of this team.  But, they are certainly worthy to be in the conversation.  Many still consider Andre Smith to be somewhat of a bust, as he's played a total what, 2 complete seasons in what is now his 9th year in the league?

Andre was/is a bust. A more minor bust, but a bust nonetheless. In our defense though, that was a terrible draft, especially at tackle. They all busted to some extent.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 09:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ced is well on his way to being on that list, IMO. Akili will always be tops, but barring a drastic turnaround, Ced is somewhere high on the list.

Andre was/is a bust. A more minor bust, but a bust nonetheless. In our defense though, that was a terrible draft, especially at tackle. They all busted to some extent.

I disagree Andre played very well and was apart of one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. Last year Andre left and Ced could not fill in at RT. Dalton was sacked the most times in his career.

Do injuries take away from success on the field? If that's the case is Gronk not in the same position as guys like Andre and Eifert? My opinion is injuries happen you can't predict a dislocated elbow, a broken foot, or a injured back. But if a player can succeed on a field when given opportunity like Andre Eifert and Gronk they are not a draft bust.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Here's a pretty good article about how the Vikings rebuilt their OL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2017/5/3/15521174/revamping-the-vikings-offensive-line
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Notice how Bodine, Johnson and Fisher's first movement is up, rather than forward?  They all 3 get blown up, sending the play into total chaos.  Also of note, Ogbuehi comes forward, but not low enough, meets the LB at shoulder level, proceeds to get knocked back into the play.  Og should have been aiming to make contact with the defender's inside hip, to turn and drive him away from the play.

That's poor technique coaching.

And yet Alexander still remains employed. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:27 PM)Okeana Wrote: Nope not even close.  for them to take round 1 and round 2 Tackles that have shown zero promise is such an epic fail that no singular draft pick can compare.  You give me a shot to draft 2 offensive tackles in the first two rounds its almost impossible i don't come up with a serviceable option.  

I will give you worse than kijana Carter - he had a nasty injury to his knee so shouldn't even count tbh.

Akilli Smith is the bengals worst draft pick ever. Taking Into account the 9 draft picks they could have had instead, it is one of the biggest draft blunders in NFL history. Sorry, not even close buddy. I would take ced, fisher, and 7 more draft picks over smith any day.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 01:18 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Our O-Line IS a nutshell.

Our OL is a cracked soft nutshell. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The sad thing is that is actually a good play because it went for positive yards. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 01:29 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I will give you worse than kijana Carter - he had a nasty injury to his knee so shouldn't even count tbh.

Akilli Smith is the bengals worst draft pick ever. Taking Into account the 9 draft picks they could have had instead, it is one of the biggest draft blunders in NFL history. Sorry, not even close buddy. I would take ced, fisher, and 7 more draft picks over smith any day.

It's amazing how long ago that was. Even back then I was so pissed and fed up with this team for missing out on that trade, cause it's been years since we won a playoff game. I thought that was the last straw.... And here I am 18 years later. Truly Amazing.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 04:27 PM)Okeana Wrote: Nope not even close.  for them to take round 1 and round 2 Tackles that have shown zero promise is such an epic fail that no singular draft pick can compare.  You give me a shot to draft 2 offensive tackles in the first two rounds its almost impossible i don't come up with a serviceable option.  

akili smith
Reply/Quote