Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Offensive Line
(09-16-2016, 10:48 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We put that putrid display on film on purpose to throw off the steelers. Our interior line is going to play lights out and we will have 150+yards rushing between the tackles this week and zero sacks given up.

This would be refreshing and set my heart at ease. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
People seem to forget that this was the first real action for the O-line.

Over the prior 4 weeks they saw less than 60 minutes worth of snaps (and those weren't even all together) and had no problems handling their match ups. Week one came around and they played poorly.

Were their heads up their asses thinking they were great and it would be a cake walk for them? Quite possibly.

Were there issues with timing and communication? Most definitely.

Every unit of every team has at least one poor showing in a NFL season, so there is no reason to panic because of some poor work in the first couple of weeks. When you do panic, you end up like the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 09:47 PM)JumboTron Wrote: True, but the game last night was not as close as the final score would suggest.  The Jets accounted for 493 total yards, 28 first downs, to go along with 123 yards rushing and 3 td's by Forte, and were also 62% on third down conversions.  Outside of the Bills hitting on two bombs and a costly fumble by the Jets, the game should have been a relative blowout.  Add on top that they were on the road on a short week playing a divisional rival.  The Jets can play.

Very much agree though that the D-Line we are running out there is too good to have an overall performance like the one we saw last Sunday.  I think they will rebound in a very big way against Pit.  The interior O-Line just flat out needs to look like a totally different unit than a week ago.  I have faith Zeitler can do an about-face from the week one clunker.  Bodine?  Good lord, I hope so...

Yeah, I mean Zeitler is a good guard and will rebound.  But I share Lap's wonder at the fundamental nature of his poor play Sunday.   Lap said nothing about the lack of familiarity with Og - mostly because that was not the trouble spot (other than the rookie mistakes Og made that you could expect against a good D-line).  The area of the black hole on the line that day was the C/ RG spot.  And it was an open gate most of the game.

Bodine.   I've nurtured a tiny nugget of hope that he'll realize his "potential".  But I've entered the molecular level of hope.  A few more games like this and it will go subatomic.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 09:48 PM)jason Wrote: So the Bills' O line looked better than ours vs. the Jets. You know what didn't look better? The scoreboard. Bengals undefeated, Jets and Bills not undefeated.

We are a nitpicking ass fan base if ever there was one.

I don't think any of us are nitpicking the awesome performance of Dalton, Green and all the players that picked up the slack that day.  But I don't think there's no reason for concern - even disgust - for the poor play of what is perceived to be one of the strengths of the team. 

I don't think that's ungracious.  I think it's a legitimate concern.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 12:45 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah, I mean Zeitler is a good guard and will rebound.  But I share Lap's wonder at the fundamental nature of his poor play Sunday.   Lap said nothing about the lack of familiarity with Og - mostly because that was not the trouble spot (other than the rookie mistakes Og made that you could expect against a good D-line).  The area of the black hole on the line that day was the C/ RG spot.  And it was an open gate most of the game.

Bodine.   I've nurtured a tiny nugget of hope that he'll realize his "potential".  But I've entered the molecular level of hope.  A few more games like this and it will go subatomic.

Zeitler puzzles me...I haven't take apart all the coach's cut yet, but this is his contact year.  After his rookie season, where he was really, really good, he decided to not be "the fat guy" and worked on his strength and conditioning to become a better player.  The video a lot of us saw in the offseason had me salivating at what he could do next to the up and coming Ced.  

However, he seems to have tailed off.  DeCastro is on whatever all steelers get put on and he looks about 30 lbs bigger, with no loss of agility and has become one of the best.  I just wonder if Zeitler should have gone the other way and gotten bigger while getting stronger.  He might not like the way he looks in his jeans, but he might have been more effective and be looking at a contract near what DeCastro earned.  Right now, I just don't see it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 12:52 PM)3wt Wrote: I don't think any of us are nitpicking the awesome performance of Dalton, Green and all the players that picked up the slack that day.  But I don't think there's no reason for concern - even disgust - for the poor play of what is perceived to be one of the strengths of the team. 

I don't think that's ungracious.  I think it's a legitimate concern.
If they look that way tomorrow, then I'll start to be concerned. For me, it was one really bad game against a really good line on the road. If we see it again, then it's a trend.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 01:22 PM)jason Wrote: If they look that way tomorrow, then I'll start to be concerned. For me, it was one really bad game against a really good line on the road. If we see it again, then it's a trend.

True.  I'll suspend my vitriol for the game  Ninja  
Reply/Quote
It was a rare off game for Big Z. Bodine on the other hand has had multiple outings over his time in the league like that.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 01:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Zeitler puzzles me...I haven't take apart all the coach's cut yet, but this is his contact year.  After his rookie season, where he was really, really good, he decided to not be "the fat guy" and worked on his strength and conditioning to become a better player.  The video a lot of us saw in the offseason had me salivating at what he could do next to the up and coming Ced.  

However, he seems to have tailed off.  DeCastro is on whatever all steelers get put on and he looks about 30 lbs bigger, with no loss of agility and has become one of the best.  I just wonder if Zeitler should have gone the other way and gotten bigger while getting stronger.  He might not like the way he looks in his jeans, but he might have been more effective and be looking at a contract near what DeCastro earned.  Right now, I just don't see it. 
Going through the contract stuff could have an effect on Zeitler too. First non rookie contract and he is stressing about contract negotiations. 

I was hoping james harrison was going to bring the steelers roids secret. Never happened. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 01:03 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Going through the contract stuff could have an effect on Zeitler too. First non rookie contract and he is stressing about contract negotiations. 

I was hoping james harrison was going to bring the steelers roids secret. Never happened. 

Possibly, but he was a first round pick so it wasn't like he was poor.  He was at least going to get upper third dollars (for his position group) but I am pretty disappointed that he hasn't improved as much since his arrival.  There is still time, but I can't help but wonder why become smaller and more agile as a RG?  He needed to improve his road-grading ability and there is a reason they don't ask WRs to do that.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 07:16 PM)xxlt Wrote:  I wouldn't crawl into your bunker and make a Paul Alexander voodoo doll just yet.

Do you think if we poked the offensive line in the ass they might be able to create some magical holes for the RB's?

(09-16-2016, 09:48 PM)jason Wrote: We are a nitpicking ass fan base if ever there was one.

What's this weeks excuse?

(09-16-2016, 10:48 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We put that putrid display on film on purpose to throw off the Broncos. Our interior line is going to play lights out and we will have 150+yards rushing between the tackles this week and zero sacks given up.

^fixed it for you, but keep this post for the rest of the season....you'll only have to change the team's name and save the time for writing out the rest of the sentence!

(09-16-2016, 11:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: With that thinking, we should be fine, since the Steeler defense line had zero sacks against the Redskins.. So our line can't block and their line can't rush.. so it would be a wash.. correct ?

What line of thinking would you call an offensive line that couldn't have enough momentum to let the RB run 1 yard into the end zone? Call me crazy, my line of thinking is a shit O-Line.

(09-17-2016, 07:21 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Steelers didnt get one sack against redskins

Yet they still stopped our run game cold.

(09-17-2016, 01:22 PM)jason Wrote: If they look that way tomorrow, then I'll start to be concerned. For me, it was two really bad games against a really good line on the road. If we see it again, then it's a trend.

^Fixed it for you...now you only have to change the number of games each week till we get to week 16.
Reply/Quote
Our o line stinks.. Bodine sucks
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 09:29 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Our o line stinks.. Bodine sucks

Alexander stinks AND sucks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote