Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Our 1st Round CB's are apparantly allergic to interceptions
Some CB's will routinely intercept 5, 6, 7 passes in some seasons. Our 3 1st Round corners have a combined 0 interceptions this year. Look at these numbers:

Dennard - 3 interceptions total in 5 years. 0 this year. He's credited with 13 PD's in 5 years!
Note: Dennard is a free agent after this year. Think we'll overpay him???
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DennDa00.htm

Kirkpatrick - 10 interceptions in 7 years. 0 this year. He does have 61 PD's in his career.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KirkDr00.htm

William Jackson - 1 interception in 2 years. (He's actually been in the league 3 years.) 0 this year. He's been credited with 23 PD's. In Jackson's rookie year, he had more PD's than Dennard has in his entire career!
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackWi02.htm
Reply/Quote
Absolutely pathetic. Our DL have more ints than our CB’s!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 01:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Absolutely pathetic. Our DL have more ints than our CB’s!

I was pretty shocked how bad it was.

Dennard 13 passes defenses in 5 years? That's terrible. And watch...they'll give him a large contract like they did with Kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 01:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was pretty shocked how bad it was.

Dennard 13 passes defenses in 5 years? That's terrible. And watch...they'll give him a large contract like they did with Kirkpatrick.

Yet some on this board were talking about Dennard being our best CB earlier this season. Right...

Reply/Quote
Well, just don't fill up on toast Sunday morning. Bengals will get more toast than they can handle from Rivers and Chargers. As much toast as the Chiefs and Saints handed out to our Bungles.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Relax, they just aren't fully developed yet. Marvin will get them there have patience Ninja

Reply/Quote
I'm Terryl Austin and I want TURNOVER! Wait, no...sorry. Turnover could be a bad thing for me. I meant TURNOVERS! Yeah...that's what I'm all about...

Help         Help          Help
Reply/Quote
The Bengals defense played a ton of cover 2 zone this year. What is the most important thing that NEEDS to happen in a cover 2 zone defense?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Turnovers we’re supposed to be at the top of the defenses priority list this year. Sounds about right.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 08:23 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals defense played a ton of cover 2 zone this year. What is the most important thing that NEEDS to happen in a cover 2 zone defense?

Pressure from a four man rush.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 08:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Turnovers we’re supposed to be at the top of the defenses priority list this year. Sounds about right.

Therein lies the problem. You had players that didn't fit that scheme well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
To put things in perspective...Shawn Williams has 4 interceptions THIS SEASON.

Dennard has 3 for his entire 5 year career!
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 06:07 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Relax, they just aren't fully developed yet. Marvin will get them there have patience Ninja

Well really they're all still rookies  Ninja

(12-07-2018, 10:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Therein lies the problem. You had players that didn't fit that scheme well.

A common theme in Bengal Land.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 10:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To put things in perspective...Shawn Williams has 4 interceptions THIS SEASON.

Dennard has 3 for his entire 5 year career!

Hell how many Int's have we watched them drop this season alone ? 6,8,10 ? And I'm talking about balls that hit them right between the numbers.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 11:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hell how many Int's have we watched them drop this season alone ? 6,8,10 ? And I'm talking about balls that hit them right between the numbers.

I'd say we can label Dennard and Kirkpatrick as busts.

Jackson looked good last year as a Nickle CB, but then he's not so good this year when he has to cover the big boys on the other teams. Maybe he'll improve more?

What people forget about Jackson is he missed his rookie year, so this is really his 3rd year in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
In the 5 years Jonathan Joseph was a Bengal, he had 14 interceptions. 6 in one season!

Dennard and Jackson have 4 interceptions combined in 7 years! Joseph 6 in one season!

Joseph had 76 PD's in 5 years as a Bengals too! 76! He was 27 years old his 1st season with the Texans. So we left him go in his prime.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoseJo20.htm
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say we can label Dennard and Kirkpatrick as busts.

Jackson looked good last year as a Nickle CB, but then he's not so good this year when he has to cover the big boys on the other teams. Maybe he'll improve more?

What people forget about Jackson is he missed his rookie year, so this is really his 3rd year in the NFL.

I'm trying not to be to harsh on Jackson, we had utter chaos going on the first half of the season with Austin's BS scheme. But Dennard and Kirkpatrick are not performing like 1st Rd. CB's and it's not just this season. They're basically playing like 5th round backup's.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say we can label Dennard and Kirkpatrick as busts.

Bust is pretty harsh wrt Dre. He’s been at least serviceable most of his career. Somewhat disappointing for a 1st rd pick? Probably. I don’t think he’s a bust though.

And WJ3 completely shutdown Antonio Brown last season. So he can definitely play well against top guys. In his case I’m hoping it’s a combination of a sophomore slump (he’s only played 2 seasons) and the entire defense being bad this year.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 12:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bust is pretty harsh wrt Dre. He’s been at least serviceable most of his career. Somewhat disappointing for a 1st rd pick? Probably. I don’t think he’s a bust though.

And WJ3 completely shutdown Antonio Brown last season. So he can definitely play well against top guys. In his case I’m hoping it’s a combination of a sophomore slump (he’s only played 2 seasons)  and the entire defense being bad this year.

Remember with Kirkpatrick, he underperformed his 1st 4 years as he was used sparingly, then had 1 good year in his contract year and signed an extension. He's been probably a below average CB for his career overall. Maybe not a total bust, but not worth a 1st round pick.

Jackson has been in the league 3 years. His rookie year was wiped out with an injury. But, yeah I'm not giving up on him yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 12:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bust is pretty harsh wrt Dre. He’s been at least serviceable most of his career. Somewhat disappointing for a 1st rd pick? Probably. I don’t think he’s a bust though.

And WJ3 completely shutdown Antonio Brown last season. So he can definitely play well against top guys. In his case I’m hoping it’s a combination of a sophomore slump (he’s only played 2 seasons)  and the entire defense being bad this year.

Agreed,

But what puts a giant dent in Kirkpatrick's serviceableness is when taps into his inner pacman and goes running across the field on a play he wasn't even involved in and shoves a guy and draws a 15 yard penalty.

For nearly every really good play, he has a bonehead penalty to counter it.
Reply/Quote