Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'Our belief in him comes from his belief in us'
I'm personally just glad it's turning around while ZT's still here. I was worried he'd get ran outta here and go coach winners elsewhere if we weren't careful. I'm really glad it's all starting to come together. We deserve this as fans, and I say that carefully knowing that realistically deserve might not be the best word, but we've had so many tough seasons it's practically all we've known.

The one thing I didn't like about ZT that I don't think I ever aired out here was his tenure at UC. It left a lot to be desired.

BUT! Credit to him for recruiting Ridder... many folks may not know that was him.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 02:58 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I shake my head and laugh at remembering all the people saying this guy was in way over his head.... Some of those people you dont see a post from anymore. 

I was 110% onboard with getting rid of Zac after last season if he didn't bring someone else in to be OC.  He's been amazing with the players and building a culture since day 1.  That's a point I've always made.  But I also saw his weakness in insisting on "his" method/scheme which would only work if he had just the right players to pull it off.  The danger there is what we saw the last two years.  Injury and roster dictating how successful you are because you're not planning your game around the team you have, but the team you want.  This year, it's come into place because he's got his roster.  I'm still not completely sold on him as the answer at OC, but I think he's a good HC, and the kind of guy you'd want to play for.  

What's most exciting for the team is how they interact with each other.  Their energy, their looseness.  If they lose Saturday, I don't see demands for trades.  I see them buckling down to make sure it doesn't happen again next year.  They're resilient and excited.  That's the attitude I think a young team needs going into the playoffs.  They're so much fun to watch, and I really hope everyone gets to experience the explosion of energy from a playoff win this weekend!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 12:36 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I'm personally just glad it's turning around while ZT's still here. I was worried he'd get ran outta here and go coach winners elsewhere if we weren't careful. I'm really glad it's all starting to come together. We deserve this as fans, and I say that carefully knowing that realistically deserve might not be the best word, but we've had so many tough seasons it's practically all we've known.

The one thing I didn't like about ZT that I don't think I ever aired out here was his tenure at UC. It left a lot to be desired.

BUT! Credit to him for recruiting Ridder... many folks may not know that was him.

He lost his first and second team running backs if I remember
Reply/Quote
Just think about the FA "losses" last year, lot's of fans thought the sky was falling when in reality ZT brought in not only serviceable but better replacements!
Reply/Quote
Anyone else even turning around on Zac as playcaller? Prior to this season, I was willing to give him a chance as strictly a HC but find a replacement playcaller on offense.

Now, it's hard to deny how great our offense has turned around. Sure, there's the Burrow and Chase factors, but they don't create the playbook. They don't create the gameplan (though I'm sure they have input), and while Burrow audibles, I'm sure they're running mostly the plays that Zac calls.

I mean, I won't be upset if Zac says he's going to turn all playcalling over to Callahan or whomever replaces Callahan if he gets a HC gig, but I'm finding myself fine with Zac calling plays if the offense remains this explosive.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone else even turning around on Zac as playcaller? Prior to this season, I was willing to give him a chance as strictly a HC but find a replacement playcaller on offense.

Now, it's hard to deny how great our offense has turned around. Sure, there's the Burrow and Chase factors, but they don't create the playbook. They don't create the gameplan (though I'm sure they have input), and while Burrow audibles, I'm sure they're running mostly the plays that Zac calls.

I mean, I won't be upset if Zac says he's going to turn all playcalling over to Callahan or whomever replaces Callahan if he gets a HC gig, but I'm finding myself fine with Zac calling plays if the offense remains this explosive.

I like that he has an analytics guy helping.  It is hard to dispute data.  ZT will be in Cincinnati for a long time and we are lucky.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 12:28 PM)3wt Wrote: Dude I think that's most of us!  I know it was me.

Feels so good.  And I have to appreciate the few of you who are always so measured.  And that's not snarky either.  I am not one of you.  The best I can do is tie myself to the mast so I have no choice but to  ignore the sitens' call!

Go Bengals!!

I'm always even-keeled and grounded, especially when the subject is something that is 100% out of my hands.

On gameday, I do have my moments of rage and the like (LOL), but that is always reserved for the refs and/or fluke plays; if the team ***** up, I just SMH and in any case, I'm over it within minutes.

My dad (whom everyone knows is a die-hard Cowboys fan and not really a Bengals fan, but a die-hard Stooler hater like the rest of us) was more-elated and emotional when Burfict picked off the pass in the playoffs than I was and he was screaming, "it's over! It's over!" over and over... and I was the one who said (calmly) to him, "there's still time on the clock, it's not over yet, don't celebrate too early." And we know what happened next lol.

It's why I tend to be snippy with those who are ridiculously over-the-top and negative on here; you look like a fool, so sit down, shut up (not you 3wt LOL) and just ride it out.

It's also why I will never be in a gameday thread, unless it's pre-season; too many distractions and voices, I actually ignore/turn off all devices during the game, so that I'm not distracted and fully-engaged with the game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone else even turning around on Zac as playcaller? Prior to this season, I was willing to give him a chance as strictly a HC but find a replacement playcaller on offense.

I was never for/against him as a playcaller and still aren't; It's not in my control and I have 0 bearing on the result, so why even get up in arms or be all love-eyed? Just accept that he's the playcaller and hope for the best; these guys have been put in place for a reason and they should be entrusted to make the best decisions, as they not only know more than any of us ever will combined, but also they know the team, context and nuance better than any of us ever will.

People who disagree with draft picks, play calls, etc., only disagree because it isn't what THEY would choose, not because it is inherently right or wrong. The only way it can be judged as right or wrong is if things are successful: IE, if the team loses the game because of not converting on 3rd down, not accruing enough yards and turnovers, then yes, you can look to the play-calling as a reason.

But us winning against teams this year on offense, Zac was STILL flayed alive for play-calling; but if we won, then the chances are that the team indeed was put into proper situations and the correct plays were called, right?

In a case like that, people complaining about the play-calls only have their panties in a bunch, because the plays/direction isn't what THEY would call, period.

"But! But! He could've avoided (such and such) if he only did this!" and, "we have a right to critique!" is what we hear. Good for you. You're still eliciting an emotional response that clicks/makes sense to YOU and what you are critiquing, may still not be the correct call/decision.

TL;DR: They're the coaches and they call the shots. Stop whining and accept how things are/make the best of a situation that you have 0 control over.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 02:58 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I shake my head and laugh at remembering all the people saying this guy was in way over his head.... Some of those people you dont see a post from anymore. 

I was one of those people, and thought/think Taylor rode McVay’s coattails. I still don’t think he’s a particularly good head coach, but the players seem to like him. He’s still got a winning percentage under .40, but everyone’s goal is for this team to win Super Bowls. We have a chance this year, and hopefully Zac and the team get us one! And another one next year if I could be so greedy. Fix the o line next year and this team will be among the betting favorites to win a title.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 02:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I was never for/against him as a playcaller and still aren't; It's not in my control and I have 0 bearing on the result, so why even get up in arms or be all love-eyed? Just accept that he's the playcaller and hope for the best; these guys have been put in place for a reason and they should be entrusted to make the best decisions, as they not only know more than any of us ever will combined, but also they know the team, context and nuance better than any of us ever will.

People who disagree with draft picks, play calls, etc., only disagree because it isn't what THEY would choose, not because it is inherently right or wrong. The only way it can be judged as right or wrong is if things are successful: IE, if the team loses the game because of not converting on 3rd down, not accruing enough yards and turnovers, then yes, you can look to the play-calling as a reason.

But us winning against teams this year on offense, Zac was STILL flayed alive for play-calling; but if we won, then the chances are that the team indeed was put into proper situations and the correct plays were called, right?

In a case like that, people complaining about the play-calls only have their panties in a bunch, because the plays/direction isn't what THEY would call, period.

"But! But! He could've avoided (such and such) if he only did this!" and, "we have a right to critique!" is what we hear. Good for you. You're still eliciting an emotional response that clicks/makes sense to YOU and what you are critiquing, may still not be the correct call/decision.

TL;DR: They're the coaches and they call the shots. Stop whining and accept how things are/make the best of a situation that you have 0 control over.

Points per play is a huge metric these days. It measures efficiency and explosiveness. Check out the teams in the top 10. Maybe Zac Taylor’s play calling is underrated.
1.Dallas 2. Tampa 3. Cincy 4. New England 5. Rams 6. Colts 7. KC 8. Buffalo 9. Chargers 10. GB They are also #7 in yards per play. Teams that have the most explosive plays win 86% of the time
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 09:42 AM)pally Wrote: One of the reasons I’ve supported Zac was because it was obvious when listening to the players that he had not lost the locker room despite the losses.  I’ve heard players giving lip service support to their coaches and that’s not what these guys were doing.  These guys were genuinely supportive of Zac.  When I saw all the back stabbing going on with Urban Meyer all I could think was no one on the Bengals did that even when their record was that bad.  People who didn’t want to buy in are gone unlike in the Marvin years where they hung around setting up a two tier systems.  We all heard the stories about people half assing it at practice or sleeping through meetings and sloppy play reflected that. Not saying that they weren’t good players still but that they weren’t all in on changing the Cincinnati culture.  The players Zac has selected have led what he’s been trying to do.  How many of the current players resumes open with “former team captain” or “coach’s kid”?  It takes guts to reject a potentially really good player because they were looking like locker room poison.

We’re having fun because for the first time in a long time the team is having fun. Every time you see the players interact it is easy to see they actually like each other and are not just co workers.  There have been lots of interviews these past several weeks with former coaches and players.  To a man, they are all saying this team is different from those other teams of the past.  They have confidence, swag, joy to go along with talent. We are heading into this game, as fans, thinking our team CAN win.  I don’t think any of us, including the team, thought that in any of those 5 straight playoff appearances.

I love this feeling.  I love the excitement.  I love the real hope.  I love the belief.  I don’t want it to end.

Preach brother!!!!!
Reply/Quote

Have another hype video, free of charge.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 02:40 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Preach brother!!!!!

Sister*
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 09:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Epic vid. The team is completely behind Zac Taylor right now.

I think it is time to make a run and it starts Saturday. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:49 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: I gotta admit, I assumed that Zac had lost the locker room last year when all of this stuff started going down. Turns out, it seems like he was in control the whole time. Former players had a hard time adapting to a new regime and an altered or decreased role, and they acted out over it. 

Dunlap was always one of my favorite Bengals, but when you see a locker room cancer growing, you have to cut it out. That's what they did with him, and we are much better because of it. 

Culture is an under-valued aspect of winning teams, and it at least appears that the culture here is elite. 

Boy, is it ever!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 12:36 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I'm personally just glad it's turning around while ZT's still here.  I was worried he'd get ran outta here and go coach winners elsewhere if we weren't careful.  I'm really glad it's all starting to come together.  We deserve this as fans, and I say that carefully knowing that realistically deserve might not be the best word, but we've had so many tough seasons it's practically all we've known.  

The one thing I didn't like about ZT that I don't think I ever aired out here was his tenure at UC.  It left a lot to be desired.  

BUT!  Credit to him for recruiting Ridder... many folks may not know that was him.

I certainly didn't. Very interesting. Looks like his tenure there wasn't as bad as it seemed on the surface. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 04:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I certainly didn't. Very interesting. Looks like his tenure there wasn't as bad as it seemed on the surface. 

From everything I've read, Tuberville was the major failing at UC and while Zac didn't do himself any favours, the program was a mess from the outset in '16.

Fickell needed 1 transition year and he's led phenomenal teams since.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 04:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: From everything I've read, Tuberville was the major failing at UC and while Zac didn't do himself any favours, the program was a mess from the outset in '16.

Fickell needed 1 transition year and he's led phenomenal teams since.

Yeah, Tuberville had kinda been passed up by the time he arrived in Cincinnati. They basically hired a name, in my opinion. I knew Zac wasn't all to blame most likely, but it still looked bad, and was justifiable to use as a reason for doubt here. However, when you find out he recruited Ridder and see the end result, it kinda gives you a little more confidence in Zac's ability to play the long game. Fans are just so impatient these days.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 09:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a famous guy once said "Winning fixes a lot of things".  ThumbsUp

Think that was me. Hmm
Reply/Quote

I'll admit I was upset with the going for it on 4th and four or whatever back early in the season and some other stuff.

But I'm coming around now. Happy
Reply/Quote