Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our defense v Melvin Gordon
Gordon shredded us, but he made some great runs and earned most of what he got. It wasn't so much missed tackles as it was Gordon making people miss. I knew he put up really big numbers in college, but so have a lot of other RBs from Wisconsin. This was the first time I have watched him play a full game, and he looks legit. He seems to have all the physical skills, plus he sees the field very well. That is the most underrated skill in a RB, and also one of the hardest to test for. You just have to watch them play to tell if they have good field vision..

It is easy to see gaps open when watching from above, but at field level it is just 22 guys running around at all different speeds and directions. It is a special gift to be able to take in all that information and process it quick enough to know where the hole is going to open. It is what makes Adam Jones an elite return man. And Gordon has it. He was cutting back hard onto holes where ever they appeared. Very strong and decisive.

If I played fantasy football I get him. I think he will be a good NFL RB.
Reply/Quote
Don't mean to say that our run defense does not need to step up their play. They need to get better against the run fast with Justin Forsett coming up. The had a breakout year in '14 (1200+ yds, 5.2 avg) and he started it off well against us with 70 yards and a td on only 11 carries opening day.

I was just saying that Melvin Gordon deserves some of the credit for those big runs last week. Hope we contain Forsett better than that.
Reply/Quote
I feel like most of his yards came from 3 or 4 runs where we missed assignments. He played well, but thinking back on the game I distinctly remember Rey M and V Rey fail to fill gaps and take questionable angles so I wouldn't heap too much praise on the young man just yet.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
I think missed tackles were a huge issue as well as blown assignments and poor reads. Why I want Burfict back. One of the surest tacklers and smartest players.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
There will be potential for any NFL caliber running back to have success against our D if our linebackers keep playing the way they have been.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Missed tackles and we saw our linebackers whiff tackles, not stuff holes, and unable to get off of their blocks. Numerous times we saw Adam Jones or Kirkpatrick have to tackle Gordon. That's not a good thing.

However, Gordon is going to be a very good back. He's going to be better than Mathews (easily) and Gordon is going to be a Pro Bowl player as the years go on. I can already guarantee that.
Reply/Quote
Lack of backside containment is what killed us. Looked like the holes were filled on a number of his runs and he just cut and took it the opposite way of the pursuit. Linebackers and backside DE pursued themselves out of containment. Guenther should have made an adjustment to it.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 04:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gordon shredded us, but he made some great runs and earned most of what he got.  It wasn't so much missed tackles as it was Gordon making people miss.  I knew he put up really big numbers in college, but so have a lot of other RBs from Wisconsin.  This was the first time I have watched him play a full game, and he looks legit.  He seems to have all the physical skills, plus he sees the field very well.  That is the most underrated skill in a RB, and also one of the hardest to test for.  You just have to watch them play to tell if they have good field vision..  

It is easy to see gaps open when watching from above, but at field level it is just 22 guys running around at all different speeds and directions.  It is a special gift to be able to take in all that information and process it quick enough to know where the hole is going to open.  It is what makes Adam Jones an elite return man.  And Gordon has it.  He was cutting back hard onto holes where ever they appeared.  Very strong and decisive.

If I played fantasy football I get him.  I think he will be a good NFL RB.
I thought he looked good too...  I never really thought to much of him because of the Wisconsin RB history, and the last I saw of him he was getting shut down in the Big 10 championship.

Danny Woodhead hurts his fantasy value though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah he had some good runs but he also got stuffed. 3 runs of 20, 26, 27. The other 13 runs were for 15 yards. Two of those long runs were Gordon's talent the other was a missed tackle at the LOS by Jones I believe.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 08:19 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Yeah he had some good runs but he also got stuffed.  3 runs of 20, 26, 27.  The other 13 runs were for 15 yards.  Two of those long runs were Gordon's talent the other was a missed tackle at the LOS by Jones I believe.

Nelson definitely missed a tackle in the hole on one of the runs.  I think Vinnie had a whiff as well on a different run.
Reply/Quote
Why the Chargers abandoned the run? Who knows why but it was working for them.. Im sure MG could have shredded us for another 40 or 50.
Reply/Quote