Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy DeVos: Looking out for the little guy
(05-22-2017, 02:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm sure quite a lot based on the line of questioning.

No really, explain it to me.  It says jobs that benefit society.  You are saying it's ok for teachers in lower income districts, but not upper middle class districts.  So if the basis is jobs that benefit society, then what other conclusion is there?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Jobs that benefit society but are underpaid relative to their industry?

The problem with that is the elementary and middle school 70% of my students come from count as title I schools and those teachers are eligible. They make the same amount of money as me and teach basically the same kids. The criteria is flawed, but I'd rather see it improved than hindered. We need incentives to recruit good teachers away from higher paying fields.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-22-2017, 02:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No really, explain it to me.  It says jobs that benefit society.  You are saying it's ok for teachers in lower income districts, but not upper middle class districts.  So if the basis is jobs that benefit society, then what other conclusion is there?

I know two men who graduated college with me.

Both went to med school.  Both are doctors.

One is a plastic surgeon specializing in boob jobs and facelifts for the very rich.

One is a general practice working in one of the poorest parts of the state.

I'd say one benefits society a lot more than the other.

But I imagine that won't be a good explanation for some.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-22-2017, 02:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know two men who graduated college with me.

One is a plastic surgeon specializing in boob jobs and facelifts for the very rich.

What if someone does boob jobs in poor areas, and another one is a cardiologist in a nicer area?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-22-2017, 02:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know two men who graduated college with me.

(05-22-2017, 02:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What if someone does boob jobs in poor areas, and another one is a cardiologist in a nicer area?

[Image: giphy.gif?response_id=59232812f7a18b268224b2b0]
(05-22-2017, 03:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?response_id=59232812f7a18b268224b2b0]

You knowingly give a bad example in which you use two separate fields of medicine, and then say you called it when someone questions your example?

(05-22-2017, 03:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You knowingly give a bad example in which you use two separate fields of medicine, and then say you called it when someone questions your example?

Look back.  Was the fields the only things different?

Cool
(05-22-2017, 03:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: Look back.  Was the fields the only things different?

Cool

Which is why I asked the follow up. Or do you think only well-to-do people get boob jobs?

(05-22-2017, 03:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Which is why I asked the follow up.  Or do you think only well-to-do people get boob jobs?

Ok, now look back and read who he takes care of.

Thanks.
(05-22-2017, 03:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ok, now look back and read who he takes care of.

Thanks.

Why did you not compare same medical fields with your example.  Oh because that would have sounded really bad if you compared the life saving cardiologist in a poorer area to a life saving cardiologist in a more well to do area and said one provided a greater benefit to society. Or if you had just compared a plastic surgeon who does elective surgeries versus a cardiologist regardless of their patients' economic status, then I would have said yeah I can see that.

(05-22-2017, 04:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote:    Why did you not compare same medical fields with your example.  Oh because that would have sounded really bad if you compared the life saving cardiologist in a poorer area to a life saving cardiologist in a more well to do area and said one provided a greater benefit to society.  Or if you had just compared a plastic surgeon who does elective surgeries versus a cardiologist regardless of their patients' economic status, then I would have said yeah I can see that.

Because those are not the fields of the two people I know.

That's a real world example...not made up. Brian and Craig.  Craig was my roommate.  We were the best man in each others weddings.  Real people. 

Both are doctors.  One chooses to make lots and lots of money from very rich people for boob jobs and facelifts.  The other chooses to make less money and take care of everyone.

However your acknowledgement that you understood the point of the one who works solely on the upper class versus the other who works in a poor town make me feel like you understood the entire time but were trying to either troll or "gotcha".

You get it.  You just don't want to admit you get it.
(05-22-2017, 04:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because those are not the fields of the two people I know.

That's a real world example...not made up. Brian and Craig.  Craig was my roommate.  We were the best man in each others weddings.  Real people. 

Both are doctors.  One chooses to make lots and lots of money from very rich people for boob jobs and facelifts.  The other chooses to make less money and take care of everyone.

However your acknowledgement that you understood the point of the one who works solely on the upper class versus the other who works in a poor town make me feel like you understood the entire time but were trying to either troll or "gotcha".

You get it.  You just don't want to admit you get it.

You understand me exactly wrong.  I don't care what class they work on, I care what task they perform.  I don't find a small town cardiologist anymore valuable than a Beverly Hills cardiologist.  

(05-22-2017, 05:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You understand me exactly wrong.  I don't care what class they work on, I care what task they perform.  I don't find a small town cardiologist anymore valuable than a Beverly Hills cardiologist.  

I guess that's why you don't understand the loan forgiveness program.

Hint: It's not just "small town."