Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the death penalty isn't all bad.
(05-20-2017, 08:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, but the mandatory appeals do act as a safeguard for making sure innocent people aren't killed.

I don't see why they should be different than employing safeguards to make sure innocent people do not spend life in prison.

As I said: I can understand the no innocents killed stance, but to me the it costs more stance makes no sense.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-20-2017, 08:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Still not a strawman as I have not introduced an argument not made. Of course you support abortion if you do not condemn it and vote against it anytime you are given the opportunity. The enigma is that you cannot support the state executing someone that has committed grave atrocities, but you support  (whatever term you prefer) the state allowing someone to execute their offspring because they want to.  

Except I do condemn abortion. As I stated, I am morally opposed to it. This is why your argument is a strawman.

And state action vs. state non-action. When it comes to individual rights/liberties, I side with less intrusive action from the state.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-20-2017, 08:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Except I do condemn abortion. As I stated, I am morally opposed to it. This is why your argument is a strawman.

And state action vs. state non-action. When it comes to individual rights/liberties, I side with less intrusive action from the state.

You condemn abortion but you support the individual's right to practice it. That is why I say it is an enigma that a Christian would take such a stance. I guess we can consider someone that questions that logic as introducing a strawman.

I have zero problem with the state being as intrusive as they want if it saves innocent lives. I suppose that is where we differ.

I can find nothing in scripture that would lead me to put anyone's individual right/liberty above killing their innocent child. There are some OT passages that address combat. I can find scripture in both the old and new they allows the government the right to yield the sword.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-20-2017, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You condemn abortion but you support the individual's right to practice it. That is why I say it is an enigma that a Christian would take such a stance. I guess we can consider someone that questions that logic as introducing a strawman.

I have zero problem with the state being as intrusive as they want if it saves innocent lives. I suppose that is where we differ.

I can find nothing in scripture that would lead me to put anyone's individual right/liberty above killing their innocent child. There are some OT passages that address combat. I can find scripture in both the old and new they allows the government the right to yield the sword.

It all boils down to interpretation. My positions actually align with my denomination's positions. I thank you for this, because I opposed the death penalty beforehand and never knew the position of my church. After seeing it, it's nice to know they see it in the same way. I already knew their position on abortion. All of that being said, people far more learned in the Bible than either of us can find arguments on both of our sides, so there is no point trying to wade into those waters.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-20-2017, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You condemn abortion but you support the individual's right to practice it. That is why I say it is an enigma that a Christian would take such a stance. I guess we can consider someone that questions that logic as introducing a strawman.

You support the military and the Second Amendment thus you condone murder.

That's you're F'ed logic and why your "enigma" is a straw man.
(05-19-2017, 09:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: My take on death penalty is, if you have video evidence or admission of guilt in cases of murder and rape, hang'em. Otherwise, I'd be cautious because so many death penalty cases have been overturned when new evidence or trials have happened.

Well that's just like, your opinion man. It is a rational opinion with a nice ethical flavor to it, but don't expect that to gain you much credence herein.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-19-2017, 10:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Vengeance carried out by the state accomplishes nothing other than one, or in this case three, fewer person(s) in the world. I don't support the death penalty, even in this case.

Well, it also gives an imprimatur to vengeance, blood lust, and killing. So, there's that.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-20-2017, 03:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Another enigma is Christians who believe people will go to Hell for killing, but believe soldiers receive a Get-Out-of-Hell-Free Card for killing during combat.

Also, I haven't read a single person here support abortion, but rather support the freedom for others to decide for themselves.

Couple things. Voters who vote in favor of the death penalty, and those who do their bidding, they all get get of hell free cards too.

Also, I got several extra pike poles and I would love to have you come down and go baby impaling with me sometime. It's like fishing, but with pregos. Sometimes on a slow day you have to go to a real honey hole, like an abortion clinic. It can be a long drive nowadays, but you know you will tie into something in their parking lot, and as a bonus their might be a pregnant protestor and that is when you know it is a great day and the gods are smilin' on you. There's just nothing like the feeling of tying into a big one. PM me and we'll set up a trip for you and any friends you want to bring. If it is more than four of you we will have to rent vehicles though. Let me know if y'all want liberal limousines or just regular cars.
(05-20-2017, 08:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I can understand the no innocents killed stance, but to me the it costs more stance makes no sense.

You don't understand how it costs more or why someone wouldn't want to spend more?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-20-2017, 08:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, just my opinion. As I have always said: Folk's relationship with their maker is a personal one. Mine just points me toward supporting the execution of someone that has murdered, ect...over someone who just hasn't been given to time to be born yet.

Your god points you that way?

The same god who ordered Abraham to kill his own son as a blood sacrifice?

The same god who could have lifted the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt at any time but instead decided to kill a bunch of innocent babies?
(05-20-2017, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There are some OT passages that address combat. I can find scripture in both the old and new they allows the government the right to yield the sword.

No you can't.  The only scripture you can find to justify warfare is to justify killing in the name of God.

Can you point me to where it says it is okay to drop bombs on babies becuase for capitalism is better than communism?

Also, since the original topic is the death penalty what did Jesus say about "An eye for an eye"?  It is one thing for Christian to try and spion the meaning opf some ancient Old Testament verse.  It is another thing altogether when Christians jujst completely ignore what Jesus told them.

The death penalthy does NOTHING good.  It does not bring back the dead, and satisfying bloodlust with more killing is not a good thing.

BTW anyone who supports the death penalty supports killing innocent people.  Too many innocent people have been set free for anyone to argue with a straight face that the death penalty has not already, and will continue to claim innocent lives.  Anyone trying to play the "moral superiority" card here better check some facts.