Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Our new coach shut down in Super Bowl
(02-04-2019, 09:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting story on MMQB about how the Patriots attacked Goff. Basically they called two plays every play, one for before the headset McVay uses to talk to Goff shuts off and one for after. Even heading into the saints game many believed McVay basically did the presnap reading for Goff and so when he couldn’t hear in NO it was obvious he struggled. The Patriots took it a step further simply not letting McVay make a call for him at all.

If anything this proves more than ever that the Rams success was built around schemeing and coaching up their guys. Goff can’t read a defense and they got that far, if Taylor can add concepts to help us out while having a capable QB who can read a defense the sky is the limit.

That is very interesting, didn't know that, makes sense.

Dalton can read Defenses, this is a big plus i didn't know until now about McVay having to read them for Goff.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting story on MMQB about how the Patriots attacked Goff. Basically they called two plays every play, one for before the headset McVay uses to talk to Goff shuts off and one for after. Even heading into the saints game many believed McVay basically did the presnap reading for Goff and so when he couldn’t hear in NO it was obvious he struggled. The Patriots took it a step further simply not letting McVay make a call for him at all.

If anything this proves more than ever that the Rams success was built around schemeing and coaching up their guys. Goff can’t read a defense and they got that far, if Taylor can add concepts to help us out while having a capable QB who can read a defense the sky is the limit.

Interesting. Heck, that's a strength for Dalton. That could also explain (partially) why Goff had such a massive turnaround.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Pretty crazy.  Goff will have to make huge strides next year because Bill just gave everyone the template to shutting the Rams down.

You have to wonder if these headaches will have an effect on if Taylor wants to rush into a replacement for Dalton or not.  I would think after those headaches that he'd be happy to have a guy who he literally didn't have to hold his hand every step of the way.  We'll see, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Goff just looked like he did not belong, and the lack of confidence was like a plague for the team. He looked scared, like the game was moving to fast.

I know he was going up against the best coach in the game but still. The WR did not help him, and the good run by TG with that horrible holding call did not help.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:02 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Goff just looked like he did not belong, and the lack of confidence was like a plague for the team.  He looked scared, like the game was moving to fast.  

I know he was going up against the best coach in the game but still.  The WR did not help him, and the good run by TG with that horrible holding call did not help.

I think what hurt them the most was the lack of Gurly,  he is their biggest playmaker and without him Goff got exposed.  
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:10 AM)Goncrazzy Wrote: I think what hurt them the most was the lack of Gurly,  he is their biggest playmaker and without him Goff got exposed.  

TG had to be injured.  But they are a running team and should have established the run.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would be absolutely stunned if he makes the HoF. He’s 32, has barely over 5,000 career yards and has only 30 TDs, zero Pro Bowls and zero all Pros. Receiver is insanely difficult to make the Hall. I personally think there is next to zero chance he gets in.

Remove "next to" and you got that right.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: Pretty crazy.  Goff will have to make huge strides next year because Bill just gave everyone the template to shutting the Rams down.
Interestingly enough.....I read this afternoon that Belichick got his idea from the Detroit Lions. Didn't see that coming.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: McGinest was in the opening field for the 2019 HoF voting. Give him a couple years and he will have a crack he is only in his second year of eligibility, no one is saying Edelman is a first ballot guy. As you said Bruce isn't yet (but he will), timing has as much to do with it as anything and Bruce it a loaded time span. If Edleman plays 3 more years (and does what I mentioned earlier) he then has the five year lay off it actually will clear out some of the WR back log and be before some of this era's WRs become eligible.

We will agree to disagree on this one, but I think especially if he retires the same year Brady does and they are HoF eligible at the same time Edelman could follow Brady in the year after riding on his coat tails. 

Edelman will not make the HoF. No way, no how. 

Quote me on this.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 05:53 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I get it.  We had a Marvin, who had THE BIG RING with the Ravens.  

Point being, Zak hasn't even had a chance to coach a pre-season game for the Bengals and some folks are shooting darts at him for the Rams game yesterday.  All GOOD coaches have some dips in their career.  As good as Belichick is, he's had some rough patches, too.  I think he's the best HC the NFL has ever seen.  

You want to look at the bright side, Taylor is the coach of the best QB I've ever seen recently, too (except for yesterday).

You're absolutely right about the shots being taken at ZT, and about the rough patches for Hoodie. Good points.

You think it's bad here, you should read the nonsense on Facebook...lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:26 AM)Wyche Wrote: Interestingly enough.....I read this afternoon that Belichick got his idea from the Detroit Lions. Didn't see that coming.

His ex protege Matt Patricia is their HC.

(02-05-2019, 01:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Edelman will not make the HoF. No way, no how. 

Quote me on this.

Yeah, definitely not even close. If all it takes to get in the HOF is being a good playoff performer, then Joe Flacco would go in with Edelman.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: His ex protege Matt Patricia is their HC.

Yeah, definitely not even close. If all it takes to get in the HOF is being a good playoff performer, then Joe Flacco would go in with Edelman.

I mean Edelman strikes me as the type of receiver who can play very well into their late thirties. Just depends on how the injuries take a toll on him and when does Brady decide to retire.
Reply/Quote
You have to also give credit to New England for a very well thought out defensive game plan. Here is a good analysis of it:

https://deadspin.com/how-the-patriots-defense-put-the-rams-in-a-trash-can-1832326941
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Edelman will not make the HoF. No way, no how. 

Quote me on this.

Like I said 8k yards and pass Jerry Rice as the best playoff WR and he is in, another SB MVP would help too. There is another caveat there, Gronk needs to retire now so that he goes in 3 or 4 years ahead to remove "Patriot Fatigue" because Brady will be a 1st ballot so there will be a run of Patriots going in.

I get why people are saying no way, but I think they will look at the slot position from this era different in 10 years. 
Reply/Quote
Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce are both still waiting to get in the HOF.

Bruce: 1024 catches - 15,208 yards - 91 TD's
Holt: 920 catches - 13,382 yards - 74 TD's
Edelman: 499 catches - 5390 yards - 30 TD's

Even if you add playoffs...

Bruce: 44 catches - 759 yards - 4 TD's (9 games)
Holt: 47 catches - 630 yards - 4 TD's (10 games)
Edelman: 115 catches - 1412 yards - 5 TD's (18 games)

Edelman has half the catches and 1/3rd the yards and TD's of Isaac Bruce. The playoff numbers are inflated by opportunity. There are numerous recent Patriots on the list. Including Gronk (9th), Moss (16th), Branch (17th) and Welker (22nd). The Patriots have had a remarkable run of 8 straight conference title games, with 5 Super Bowl appearances in that span. 

This has all come during Edelman's career, which has afforded him an unprecedented amount of playoff games in that short a span. If Edelman was also putting up fat numbers during the season, he'd be a shoe-in. The regular season numbers aren't even close to HOF worthy though. To put it in perspective, Edelman's regular season numbers would rank him 9th in yards if he were a Bengal. Behind Houshmandzadeh and Darnay Scott. 

He's also 33 years old, the same age Welker was when he fell off a cliff.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 09:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: Like I said 8k yards and pass Jerry Rice as the best playoff WR and he is in, another SB MVP would help too. There is another caveat there, Gronk needs to retire now so that he goes in 3 or 4 years ahead to remove "Patriot Fatigue" because Brady will be a 1st ballot so there will be a run of Patriots going in.

I get why people are saying no way, but I think they will look at the slot position from this era different in 10 years. 

In this day and age, it takes twice that to make the hall. Accumulating more catches doesn't make him better than Rice. They are similar in average yards per game but Edelman has 5 PO tds and Rice has 22. 

Edelman won't get a snif.

Reply/Quote
Who cares about the Hall of Fame anyway. All these "Hall's are a joke... the NFL, MLB R&R... when you look at who is in, and who is not, it's complete crap.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 01:00 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Zac Taylor is the offensive coordinator for the Rams. He called a horrible game against the Patriots and only scored 3 points. Kudos to the Patriots defense, but no Rams adjustments were made in the second half. This is our new coach? Not sure what to expect now.

Taylor wasn't calling the plays. And, Belichick has shut down some of the most potent offenses in NFL history, starting the Greatest Show on Turf 17 years ago. Now if the Rams had been shut down by the likes of Austin this  year, then that would have been noteworthy as a definite negative.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 01:00 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Zac Taylor is the offensive coordinator for the Rams. 

This was as far as I got before I stopped reading.
Reply/Quote