Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Our new coach shut down in Super Bowl
(02-04-2019, 02:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That’s nice and all, but it still won’t be enough. He is in the same situation as Deion Branch right now, with one extra Super Bowl. Neither are going to the HoF.

Deion Branch has the second most playoff receptions? Nah, Edelman actually has almost double his playoff receptions and 50% more playoff yards if his career ended today (in only 1 more game too). Like I said if he hits 8k yards by the time he retires, assuming he continues to add playoff production, he will end up in the HoF. The same way voters hold not getting titles against great players (see Ken Anderson) they push over the top guys who have titles (see Eli Manning). 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on. Cannot believe people here are already hating on the guy before he is even announced the HC.

Yea they need to wait until after the draft like the rest of us.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot believe someone would start a thread and not even know the guys job before hating on him. Did his QB pretty much choke in the bright lights? Yeah, but Goff is extremely young and this happens. How many people here would play like Tom Brady who has played in 8 Superbowls before this their first time there?

Goff was terrible his first year in the league and got much better the last two under Taylor.

I am willing to give the guy a shot before judging him like he is McVay. This is the guy that calls the plays and got outcoached by Belicheck.

I wouldn't even be that hard on McVay. I mean, Belicheck is basically the reincarnation of Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot believe someone would start a thread and not even know the guys job before hating on him. Did his QB pretty much choke in the bright lights? Yeah, but Goff is extremely young and this happens. How many people here would play like Tom Brady who has played in 8 Superbowls before this their first time there?

Goff was terrible his first year in the league and got much better the last two under Taylor.

I am willing to give the guy a shot before judging him like he is McVay. This is the guy that calls the plays and got outcoached by Belicheck.

Yeah I know, I saw this last night and almost pooped myself..... I wouldn't dog Goff to much, he did miss some throws, but for the most part he couldn't step up or out. He did have the deer in the headlights look to begin with, which is to be expected.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Deion Branch has the second most playoff receptions? Nah, Edelman actually has almost double his playoff receptions and 50% more playoff yards if his career ended today (in only 1 more game too). Like I said if he hits 8k yards by the time he retires, assuming he continues to add playoff production, he will end up in the HoF. The same way voters hold not getting titles against great players (see Ken Anderson) they push over the top guys who have titles (see Eli Manning). 

Branch doesn’t, no. However, Willie McGinest also has three SBs, two Pro Bowls and has the most post-season sacks in NFL history. He isn’t a Hall of Famer.

Hell, Isaac Bruce has over 15,000 yards, SB victory, All-Pro, 4 Pro Bowls and 91 TDs. He isn’t a HoFer, either (yet). You are vastly overrating Edelman’s accomplishments when it comes to HoF eligibility. He has virtually 0% chance to make the HoF right now and he is going to be 33 next season. The only thing that can substantially raise his chances would be if they win another SB or two and he racks up a couple more MVPs. He is not a HOF WR, and this isn’t a hot take. There aren’t many people who believe this.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Deion Branch has the second most playoff receptions? Nah, Edelman actually has almost double his playoff receptions and 50% more playoff yards if his career ended today (in only 1 more game too). Like I said if he hits 8k yards by the time he retires, assuming he continues to add playoff production, he will end up in the HoF. The same way voters hold not getting titles against great players (see Ken Anderson) they push over the top guys who have titles (see Eli Manning). 

I think the fact, that he has a rat face should disqualify him from the HoF...
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Branch doesn’t, no. However, Willie McGinest also has three SBs, two Pro Bowls and has the most post-season sacks in NFL history. He isn’t a Hall of Famer.

Hell, Isaac Bruce has over 15,000 yards, SB victory, All-Pro, 4 Pro Bowls and 91 TDs. He isn’t a HoFer, either (yet). You are vastly overrating Edelman’s accomplishments when it comes to HoF eligibility. He has virtually 0% chance to make the HoF right now and he is going to be 33 next season. The only thing that can substantially raise his chances would be if they win another SB or two and he racks up a couple more MVPs. He is not a HOF WR, and this isn’t a hot take. There aren’t many people who believe this.

McGinest was in the opening field for the 2019 HoF voting. Give him a couple years and he will have a crack he is only in his second year of eligibility, no one is saying Edelman is a first ballot guy. As you said Bruce isn't yet (but he will), timing has as much to do with it as anything and Bruce it a loaded time span. If Edleman plays 3 more years (and does what I mentioned earlier) he then has the five year lay off it actually will clear out some of the WR back log and be before some of this era's WRs become eligible.

We will agree to disagree on this one, but I think especially if he retires the same year Brady does and they are HoF eligible at the same time Edelman could follow Brady in the year after riding on his coat tails. 
Reply/Quote

Also, while I don’t see Manning as the prototypical HoF QB, aside from his titles/MVPs, he is top 10 in passing yards, TDs, attempts and completions. Aside from those insane playoff runs, he has a long, productive career.

That’s different than Edelman.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Cannot believe people here are already hating on the guy before he is even announced the HC.

Oh i can

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Also, while I don’t see Manning as the prototypical HoF QB, aside from his titles/MVPs, he is top 10 in passing yards, TDs, attempts and completions. Aside from those insane playoff runs, he has a long, productive career.

That’s different than Edelman.

In this era Manning would be the 5th or 6th best QB? Brady, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Ryan (?). The stats are as much a product of this era as anything, hell Palmer is 13th all time in passing yards. He will get in because he has two titles but no one who watched Manning play thought he really elevated his team. Lifetime 60% completion percentage in an era where you can't breath on a WR doesn't scream star. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: In this era Manning would be the 5th or 6th best QB? Brady, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Ryan (?). The stats are as much a product of this era as anything, hell Palmer is 13th all time in passing yards. He will get in because he has two titles but no one who watched Manning play thought he really elevated his team. Lifetime 60% completion percentage in an era where you can't breath on a WR doesn't scream star. 

Oh, I agree. However, the volume stats are still there. On top of that, his titles and MVPs have more of a narrative to them. He defeated the 18-0 Patriots, and then defeated them again in their rematch.

That isn’t to say that Edelman hasn’t had his moments because he certainly has, but Eli is in a different situation than Edelman. Edelman isn’t, nor has he ever been, a Top 10 WR in the league. He shows up when it counts, which means something but I ultimately don’t think he has much of a chance to go into the HoF.

Like you said, we’ll agree to disagree here.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Oh, I agree. However, the volume stats are still there. On top of that, his titles and MVPs have more of a narrative to them. He defeated the 18-0 Patriots, and then defeated them again in their rematch.

That isn’t to say that Edelman hasn’t had his moments because he certainly has, but Eli is in a different situation than Edelman. Edelman isn’t, nor has he ever been, a Top 10 WR in the league. He shows up when it counts, which means something but I ultimately don’t think he has much of a chance to go into the HoF.

Like you said, we’ll agree to disagree here.

Only QB in the modern era with a sub 62% completion percentage....he was a volume *****. "He defeated them" is really an insane pass rush lead by actual HoF'ers defeated the patriots haha.

Jerry Rice actually thinks Edelman should be in the conversation per an article on the athletic. His reasoning was what he does in the playoffs has direct ties to winning Super Bowls. If he can get three more years of really good post season play in he has a chance to supplant Rice as the greatest post season WR.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea they need to wait until after the draft like the rest of us.

Thats when we might have a clue if the guy has a clue. Have a feeling he knows what he is doing. Did very well with Goff and he directed that young Receiving core which did very well, Kupp was playing great before he got injured. Think he was badly missed yesterday.

(02-04-2019, 03:27 PM)Earendil Wrote: I wouldn't even be that hard on McVay. I mean, Belicheck is basically the reincarnation of Lombardi.

True, BB is great and it really shown yesterday.

(02-04-2019, 03:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah I know, I saw this last night and almost pooped myself..... I wouldn't dog Goff to much, he did miss some throws, but for the most part he couldn't step up or out. He did have the deer in the headlights look to begin with, which is to be expected.

Watching the guy when Gladys Knight was singing the Anthem he looked crazy nervous.

Right there i was going man, he is going to need to get some easy throws to calm those nerves.

Didn't happen til the 2nd half but the adjustment was what i took from it which was good.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 01:00 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Zac Taylor is the offensive coordinator for the Rams. He called a horrible game against the Patriots and only scored 3 points. Kudos to the Patriots defense, but no Rams adjustments were made in the second half. This is our new coach? Not sure what to expect now.

I as well am very concerned now that I saw this guy under pressure in superbowl. Do we expect to go 0-16 with this dude.His comment after the game was ,It just wasn't our day.Really man ?? Last time I checked you have to MAKE IT YOUR DAY.Rams qb was just horrible.Him getting sacked way way behine the line because he just held the rock way too too long,that is a huge red flag.However his line was just awlful and just could not stop the pass rush.they played horrible.to his credit,he was under immense pressure all game.Still,you have to outplay the goat.He did not and was rattled all game.That to me sucks.
Reply/Quote
Belichick was 36-44 as HC of the Cleveland Browns and then summarily fired.....BY A TEAM AS WOEFUL AS THE BROWNS....THE SELF PROCLAIMED FACTORY OF SADNESS!

He’s done pretty well for himself since.

Let’s give Taylor a chance to succeed with the BENGALS as he has done for the RAMS.

At least get his coaching background right before condemning him before he’s had one full day on the job.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 04:42 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Belichick was 36-44 as HC of the Cleveland Browns and then summarily fired.....BY A TEAM AS WOEFUL AS THE BROWNS....THE SELF PROCLAIMED FACTORY OF SADNESS!

Let’s give Taylor a chance to succeed with the BENGALS as he has done for the RAMS.

At least get his coaching background right before condemning him before he’s had one full day on the job.

That's true, but he is still the last guy to win in the postseason up there, and has rings as Parcells' right hand man as well.  Bill is a defensive genius, and has been for a long time.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 05:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's true, but he is still the last guy to win in the postseason up there, and has rings as Parcells' right hand man as well.  Bill is a defensive genius, and has been for a long time.

I get it.  We had a Marvin, who had THE BIG RING with the Ravens.  

Point being, Zak hasn't even had a chance to coach a pre-season game for the Bengals and some folks are shooting darts at him for the Rams game yesterday.  All GOOD coaches have some dips in their career.  As good as Belichick is, he's had some rough patches, too.  I think he's the best HC the NFL has ever seen.  

You want to look at the bright side, Taylor is the coach of the best QB I've ever seen recently, too (except for yesterday).
Reply/Quote
I am not giddy over the Taylor hire (hope I am wrong), but he is not the HC or the OC of the Rams, he is the QB coach. Goff has shown great improvement so Zac did his job. I will not judge Goff on one bad game on the biggest stage in football at 24 years old.

So to OP, I think this thread is a cheap shot, let's give him a chance to impress us or disappoint us in 2019.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 04:42 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Belichick was 36-44 as HC of the Cleveland Browns and then summarily fired.....BY A TEAM AS WOEFUL AS THE BROWNS....THE SELF PROCLAIMED FACTORY OF SADNESS!

Damn rights, people hating on ZT cause of how Goff played yesterday are nutz.

His guy just panicked under the big lights, happens. But he did play much better in the 2nd half which means he adjusted.

You know that journalistic jargon shit.
Reply/Quote
Interesting story on MMQB about how the Patriots attacked Goff. Basically they called two plays every play, one for before the headset McVay uses to talk to Goff shuts off and one for after. Even heading into the saints game many believed McVay basically did the presnap reading for Goff and so when he couldn’t hear in NO it was obvious he struggled. The Patriots took it a step further simply not letting McVay make a call for him at all.

If anything this proves more than ever that the Rams success was built around schemeing and coaching up their guys. Goff can’t read a defense and they got that far, if Taylor can add concepts to help us out while having a capable QB who can read a defense the sky is the limit.
Reply/Quote