Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our offensive line play
I'd have to agree that Glenn has been a disappointment. He hasn't played like a starting caliber LT and continues to struggle with speed rushers. Hopeful he can change things around and get better.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:33 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Also got a good block (maybe more) from Schreck. He may be the TE we need to spring the run game.

Yeah, he's my new dead horse to beat.   I really like the guy.  He's a good blocker and showed really soft hands in pre-season.

Love to see him get a lot more snaps.  I have a feeling he's going to be clutch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After the string of Bodine-Ogbuehi-Fischer Alexander had to go, but he was not as bad as most people here like to claim.  Pollack is a good O-line coach, but he is not the messiah some people have labeled him.

Our O-line is better partly because of the addition of Glenn and Price (and maybe even Hart), and the Cowboys O-line struggled last year even with all of that talent.

Pollack is our coach and I support him 100%, but it is not like he has shown up and worked magic.

I like your balanced view.  Alexander had a very good reputation.   And sometimes change - any change - is what's needed.

But I really like the focus on conditioning, the new drills and the change in emphasis on a more aggressive technique that Pollack has brought.   And while I see the value in letting Redmond settle in and hopefully grow into the position, I was disappointed that Westerman was not given a concerted opportunity to perform at right guard, and I was mystified by Marvin's apparent negative view of him during the pre-season.

I truly hope that the line continues to improve, and that Glenn is more dealing with an injury than is not as good as we expected.
Reply/Quote
With Hopkins holding his own at C, I bet Pollack slides him over to RG when Billy P is ready to play
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 11:16 PM)CincyKid Wrote: With Hopkins holding his own at C, I bet Pollack slides him over to RG when Billy P is ready to play

I think it’s definitely worth trying out.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 08:31 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: This.  

Biggest disappointment to me so far has been Cordy Glenn.  He is getting beat very consistently by speed rushers around the end, forcing Dalton to step into the pocket too quick during his reads.  Luckily the interior (center) position has been better, albeit not great, so he's not constantly stepping right back into something.

There is no doubt Dalton is making the O-line look much better than it is.  I'm hoping they get better as the year progresses.  If they don't our record will start deteriorating.  This week will be another test cause Pitt will bring it.

This play in particular bothered me.

UZ makes a great play and Glenn is set to lead the way...  and he does this.

https://youtu.be/om7Sh9DZ-kI?t=20

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This play in particular bothered me.

UZ makes a great play and Glenn is set to lead the way...  and he does this.

https://youtu.be/om7Sh9DZ-kI?t=20

This was Uzomahs fault, if he breaks to the inside its a touchdown.  Glenn knew that and went to the inside.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:16 AM)wcu Wrote: Our oline play is far from perfect, but it’s sooo much better than last year. It’s well documented on these boards that most think Paul Alexander was a major part of the problem. I’ve certainly wondered how he would fair in Dallas with their all world oline talent. Here are excerpts from two recent articles.

“Late in Sunday's game, the Fox broadcasters talked about Seahawks offensive line coach Mike Solari. Cowboys fans might be interested to know that Solari was Garrett's top candidate to replace Frank Pollack, fired after last season. Solari was apparently on campus, but the Cowboys didn't lock him down. He was quickly hired by the Seahawks and the Cowboys scrambled to hire longtime Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander. Everything was fine until we started seeing this O-line getting overwhelmed in losses to the Panthers and Seahawks. It's one thing when a rookie left guard is getting blown off the ball, but why is All-Pro Zack Martin getting shoved back to his quarterback? There are whispers that I'm hearing that Alexander has taught a completely different blocking technique than what players such as Frederick, Tyron Smith and Martin learned under Bill Callahan. It seems crazy you would make fundamental changes to the best aspect of this Cowboys offense. Former Cowboys coach and scout Glenn "Stretch" Smith makes some good points on this developing story in this week's Doomsday Podcast. This appears to be an unforced error by this organization that makes absolutely no sense.”

“Dak’s problems are real, but so are the problems of the offensive line. Tyron Smith isn’t the Tyron Smith of two years ago. La’el Collins is still hit and miss. Connor Williams is learning, but it’s on the hon and sometimes that can be painful. As a whole, this offensive line is nothing like it was a few years ago. It’s a serious issue, and we might not be able to coach our way out of it. It may take some personnel changes down the line.”

There’s also no shortage of forum posts lamenting the fact that Alexander was hired. It seems we’ve been somewhat vindicated. I just wonder what the last few years could have been like with more competent oline play.

Definitely not sorry he is gone and I am not making excuses for the man, but he did lose an All-Pro Center in Frederick to Guillen-Barre Syndrome, a very serious neurological condition.   That really hurt their inside rushing attack and protections.  
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 04:35 AM)ah5 Wrote: This was Uzomahs fault, if he breaks to the inside its a touchdown.  Glenn knew that and went to the inside.

[Image: th?id=OIP.t4IDDFNPqEsZEQCNuPSMnAHaEK&pid...=319&h=180]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: And the Cowboys OL had some issues last year but they were new player related more than anything else. This year it has been a disaster and having seen two of their games I immediately recognized the Piano Man method of having road graders give ground and try to play lateral zones. Prescott has only a tiny pocket and Elliott nowhere in the backfield to cut to properly.

Quick quiz.

When it comes to the run blocking schemes of Alexander and Callahan/Pollack which was more zone and which was more man?
Reply/Quote