Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our small school guard
(11-21-2022, 01:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember when Left Guard was a concern. Seems our veteran linemen like Kappa and Karras are projecting Volson to become a top 5 guard. The kid is improving each and every game. Pollack says he is "very coachable." It was good watching him lead the way for one of Perine's touchdowns yesterday. I think we hit on a gem.

PFF didn't grade him very well, but my eyeball test saw him in the end zone blocking all the way downfield on the screen TD to Perine.  I love the kid.  He will only get better.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember when Left Guard was a concern. Seems our veteran linemen like Kappa and Karras are projecting Volson to become a top 5 guard. The kid is improving each and every game. Pollack says he is "very coachable." It was good watching him lead the way for one of Perine's touchdowns yesterday. I think we hit on a gem.

He improved in recent weeks, but was absolutely terrible last night.  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is that really an Apples to Apples comparison?  You're using stats from Scharping's 3rd season as a pro versus Volson's raw rookie numbers.

I mean it is when talking about this season specifically. It is about who is the better player right now, not who might be better in the long run.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The play that seems to beat him is a stunt. I know he has given multiple sacks on stunts and sometimes will just get overpowered. He had some shining plays but also had some plays that resulted in negative results. If he and Jonah can work on passing off stunts would be a big help.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is that really an Apples to Apples comparison?  You're using stats from Scharping's 3rd season as a pro versus Volson's raw rookie numbers.

and Volson has had a liability in Jonah next to him, remember when we thought Janah's bad play was per Volson's greenness. 

Anyway hope Jonahs knee is getting better and he returns to his old self again soon. Seemed to look better yesterday

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I couldn’t be more impressed with this kid. To be our highest graded player against KC (considering they have Chris Jones) is just flat out remarkable.

Reply/Quote

Let's review this a bit, shall we?

Here is the Bengals 2022 draft class.  Remember, they were picking at #31:

Round 1: Dax Hill, safety, Michigan (pick No. 31)-  Haven't really seen a lot of in game action yet, but looked like a stud with incredible range in preseason.  Next year's starting FS

Round 2: Cam Taylor-Britt, cornerback, Nebraska (pick No. 63):  Physical guy, supposedly lacking in coverage department.  Well, someone coached that boy up because he has been rock solid thus far.  

Round 3: Zach Carter, defensive tackle, Florida (pick No. 95):  Probably the toughest position to make an impact as a rookie but has shown flashes and has a nice speed element to his game.  Will need to continue to get stronger to go with that speed.

Round 4: Cordell Volson, guard, North Dakota State (pick No. 136):  Steal of the draft.  4th rounder that is starting and has been very solid and still seems to be ascending.  

Round 5: Tycen Anderson, safety, Toledo (pick No. 166):  Injured early.  No data 

Round 7: Jeffrey Gunter, edge, Coastal Carolina (pick No. 252) Flashed early in preseason, but lost season to injury

Overall, a very solid draft class with two current starters (on a really good squad) one sure projected starter next year (Hill) and solid depth at DT,  DE, and S/special teams with Carter, Anderson, and Gunter.  Pretty damn nice draft class.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 02:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I couldn’t be more impressed with this kid. To be our highest graded player against KC (considering they have Chris Jones) is just flat out remarkable.

That is flipping amazing.  I love the guy's toughness, determination, and desire to always get better.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 09:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is flipping amazing.  I love the guy's toughness, determination, and desire to always get better.  

I think the biggest difference between he and Carman is "Want to."  Volson "wants" to be good in this league and enjoys the contact. Carman seems content making his rookie salary.
Reply/Quote
North Dakota's kids are tough, they are used to hard life since their early years. Mix a strong work culture with country life and you get kids like Volson.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He's still a work in progress, but unlike Carman, the progress is actual and noticeable...pretty much every week. The thing I like about Volson is that when he makes mistakes or gets beaten, he seemingly doesn't let it affect him. He's just keeps grinding, trying to be better the next play, the next series, the next game. That's about as much as you can ask for...hard work, continued improvement and and soaking up the coaching and input from teammates.

the fact I didnt notice Chris Jones, Simmons or Heyward the last few games says alot. The kid is LEGIT!
Reply/Quote
I'll admit I had serious doubts about Volson the first 4 games or so. Boy has he squashed my skepticism ! It sure seems we found a diamond in the rough.
Reply/Quote
Saw this thread title and was all, "we're going through this, 'small school,' crap again? NDSU isn't a small school!"

Then I see that it was the thread started a couple of weeks ago and I already said my piece LOL

(12-06-2022, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's review this a bit, shall we?

Here is the Bengals 2022 draft class.  Remember, they were picking at #31:

Round 1: Dax Hill, safety, Michigan (pick No. 31)-  Haven't really seen a lot of in game action yet, but looked like a stud with incredible range in preseason.  Next year's starting FS

Round 2: Cam Taylor-Britt, cornerback, Nebraska (pick No. 63):  Physical guy, supposedly lacking in coverage department.  Well, someone coached that boy up because he has been rock solid thus far.  

Round 3: Zach Carter, defensive tackle, Florida (pick No. 95):  Probably the toughest position to make an impact as a rookie but has shown flashes and has a nice speed element to his game.  Will need to continue to get stronger to go with that speed.

Round 4: Cordell Volson, guard, North Dakota State (pick No. 136):  Steal of the draft.  4th rounder that is starting and has been very solid and still seems to be ascending.  

Round 5: Tycen Anderson, safety, Toledo (pick No. 166):  Injured early.  No data 

Round 7: Jeffrey Gunter, edge, Coastal Carolina (pick No. 252) Flashed early in preseason, but lost season to injury

Overall, a very solid draft class with two current starters (on a really good squad) one sure projected starter next year (Hill) and solid depth at DT,  DE, and S/special teams with Carter, Anderson, and Gunter.  Pretty damn nice draft class.  

Gunter has played multiple games this year. He had the blocked FG attempt against Miami. (or was it an XP?)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 11:21 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll admit I had serious doubts about Volson the first 4 games or so. Boy has he squashed my skepticism ! It sure seems we found a diamond in the rough.

On the season, PFF has tagged him with 4 sacks, 8 hits, and 15 hurries for a total of 27 pressures.

In the past 4 games (CAR, PIT, TEN, KC), PFF has tagged him with 1 sack, 2 hits, and 3 hurries for a total of 6 pressures.
That's an improvement given Volson's first 4 games he had 3 sacks, 4 hits, and 6 hurries for a total of 13 pressures.

Volson does seem to be (a lot) better compared to earlier in the season, but he's not quite a stone wall yet.
It's probably not a coincidence that Jonah Williams has also been performing better as of the past few games.

The Bengals OL is finally gelling, and it's coming at a good time given the more difficult schedule.
And Volson doesn't have to become an elite or even above average guard.
If he just continues to play solid and keep the pressures low, that's good enough for me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 03:35 PM)TheFan Wrote: He was moving pretty good on that play, given one of his knocks was lack of athleticism. 

Blocking on that screen definitely showcased of his athleticism. 

Yet overlooked was when Burrow threw the INT that was called back for pass interference. Dude looked like he was returning it for a TD and had a long return either way, but it was ultimately Volson that finally ran him down and tackled him. 

They were 100% wrong about this kids lack of athleticism

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 11:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Saw this thread title and was all, "we're going through this, 'small school,' crap again? NDSU isn't a small school!"

Then I see that it was the thread started a couple of weeks ago and I already said my piece LOL

Gunter has played multiple games this year. He had the blocked FG attempt against Miami. (or was it an XP?)

Yeah, I said it was a small school simply because I am not familiar with it, and at the start of the season I got blistered for saying I thought Volson would be good and was told he came from a small school and did not face strong competition
Reply/Quote
I remember when FredToast said Cordell Volson wouldn't
Amount to anything cause he went to a small school
How wrong he was.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 02:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I remember when FredToast said Cordell Volson wouldn't
Amount to anything cause he went to a small school
How wrong he was.

[Image: UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 02:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

And the sack really belongs to Burrow holding it forever then not throwing it away. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I said it was a small school simply because I am not familiar with it, and at the start of the season I got blistered for saying I thought Volson would be good and was told he came from a small school and did not face strong competition

No biggie!

As I wrote in my initial post, NDSU is an anomaly: they truly a middle of the pack G5 team, playing in the FCS only because they can't meet the requirements to be an FBS team (currently. JMU made the jump this year and they were in a similar boat).

I'm just glad he's worked out: NDSU OL are typically not good in the NFL and he's surpassed expectations.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote