Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out with the old in with the new
(05-14-2018, 05:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's serviceable as long as he's not called on to play full time. The fact he can play SAM and Mike makes him valuable, as it seems we are inundated with WILLs...... the more you can do.....

I think the Burfict suspension makes him safe. Despite his recent performance, his versatility and starting experience will probably be valued.

(05-15-2018, 07:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was reading and nodding until you took a shot at my guy, Core.  Just like Fej on defense, there is always an underdog that I am rooting for and on offense, it has been Core.  That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of truth to what you said.  I just feel like Core had a great finish to 2016 (with no AJ Green opposite him) and he got injured at the worst possible time last year and never seemed to get another shot.  

I hope he stays healthy this year and shows he could be a strong option at X in rotation with Ross.  Lafell should move to the slot to back up Boyd.  I think Core would have to have an amazing camp and preseason to dethrone the guy that the Bengals seem to think so highly of, but he doesn't really offer much as an X receiver in Lafell.  

I don't hate Core. I just value versatility in the bottom-of-the-depth-chart guys. Erickson's return experience makes him more valuable, IMO.

Plus when I think of Core, I think of Cobi Hamilton, Armon Binns, Dez Briscoe, etc...and now Auden Tate (that guy isn't getting hype yet?). I can't help that. We always have some late round WR that people love.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 07:22 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think Price will work out just fine. He has good work ethic, discipline and football smarts. Even if he starts out slow, he will fix it and not accept it. I also think he will be a future leader on the line.

Do as well, yet still a concern until I see it first hand. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 03:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Erickson is a tough call. He's tough to figure out. At first he made a lot of bad decisions. Then, after several games he seemed to be coming into his own and his decision making skills were getting much better. Then? He regressed. Not sure what the deal is with him. 

I think the ST blocking was crap.  I think that's what happened.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 02:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think the Burfict suspension makes him safe. Despite his recent performance, his versatility and starting experience will probably be valued.

I don't hate Core. I just value versatility in the bottom-of-the-depth-chart guys. Erickson's return experience makes him more valuable, IMO.

Plus when I think of Core, I think of Cobi Hamilton, Armon Binns, Dez Briscoe, etc...and now Auden Tate (that guy isn't getting hype yet?). I can't help that. We always have some late round WR that people love.

True on the "late WR love", but isn't it all symptomatic of the big issue?  I loved me some Sanu, but it was Marvin Jones that shined at X receiver, another 5th rounder with a lot of love....but he rose up and took the #2 role.  I would argue that when we were getting "indifferent AJ" that Jones would take over.  We haven't had someone do that since.  Maybe it is the bigger body I love to go with that vertical speed I love in Core.  The 22 mph (I think?) on his GPS that was even faster than Green (I also think?).  Your point about versatility is valid, but I would love to see that special teams demon Brandon Wilson return some kicks.  That kid is electric!

And I didn't say you hate Core...I know you aren't that guy  Hilarious Ninja LMAO ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 03:04 PM)3wt Wrote: I think the ST blocking was crap.  I think that's what happened.

You could be onto something there.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 03:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: True on the "late WR love", but isn't it all symptomatic of the big issue?  I loved me some Sanu, but it was Marvin Jones that shined at X receiver, another 5th rounder with a lot of love....but he rose up and took the #2 role.  I would argue that when we were getting "indifferent AJ" that Jones would take over.  We haven't had someone do that since.  Maybe it is the bigger body I love to go with that vertical speed I love in Core.  The 22 mph (I think?) on his GPS that was even faster than Green (I also think?).  Your point about versatility is valid, but I would love to see that special teams demon Brandon Wilson return some kicks.  That kid is electric!

And I didn't say you hate Core...I know you aren't that guy  Hilarious Ninja LMAO ThumbsUp
I pine for that guy still.  The guy was a stud with an ultra competitive attitude - without the histrionics.  I remember that last year he was here watching him take off down the field in training camp.   The ground was literally tearing up under his feet!

The two guys the Steelers said they were glad would not return were Nelson and Jones.  It was the beginning of the end of our ascension.  If we keep those two and at least Whit and wouldn't have been picking 9 and 12 respectively.

It's really hard to balance a roster and the cap.  But we needed those 3 guys for sure.

Anyway water under the bridge.  And I'm all in on this year's new roster additions!
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 03:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Erickson is a tough call. He's tough to figure out. At first he made a lot of bad decisions. Then, after several games he seemed to be coming into his own and his decision making skills were getting much better. Then? He regressed. Not sure what the deal is with him. 

The entire punt return team messed Erickson up with lousy downfield blocking the same way the offensive line did for running backs. It ain't 1 on 1 where you can pin all the results on one guy.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
here's the thing on Alex Erickson in the return game.he has zero to none ability if that start stop accelerate and go.
memo to some. on a lot of returns theirs a missed Block somewhere.
Reply/Quote
Erickson at one time was a feel good story.undrafted from the American Heartland.awesome story of David vs Goliath. John Steinbeck would be proud.
guess I need ballers and difference makers. not apple pie stories.
he's a decent route runner but in the short to intermediate passing game he cant make guys miss tackles and he can take a 9 yd slant and take it to the house.
you can play soft coverage on Erickson all game long
and know he's not gonna make you look bad on the ESPN highlights.
he's a lackluster return guy who smoked a few 5th stringers 2 years ago.
Core and Tate are gonna battle for that last WR spot.
it will come down to which guy can bring it on special teams and who actually BLOCK the best in the running game.
Michael Johnson will stick around due to him being more effective with less snaps in a 3 tech role
plus the young DEs that steady lockeroom influence.
simply put he's a mentor. Lawson and Willis aren't mentors yet.
Vinnie Rey can play all 3 backer spots and plus he's a valued special teamer.
their will be some vets let go I just don't see it being MJ or Rey cause the defense would be void
of those vets need to mentor the 2 groups that have been address heavily since last year the DE and,LB'ers.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 12:58 AM)TKUHL Wrote: The Vets I think will be gone are as follows.
1. Adam Jones
2. Michael Johnson
3. Cedric Ogbuehi
4. Alex Erickson- who will go onto NE to be the next Wes Welker.

My surprise players for this year that I'm pulling for.
1. Brandon Wilson
2. Mason Schreck

Young players I hope contribute.
1. John Ross
2. Josh Malone
3. Malik Jefferson

Players I hope stick around and make the 53 man roster someday.
1. Ja'Von Rolland-Jones
2. Auden Tate

Prove me wrong draft picks.
1. Sam Hubbard
2. Mark Walton

Of course I hope every player plays lights out. Just want to know who your rooting for and who you think it's time to move on from.

SAM HUBBARD Is a Beast!.......Mark Walton pick will look alot better when gio goes down week 6
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 07:22 PM)3wt Wrote: I pine for that guy still.  The guy was a stud with an ultra competitive attitude - without the histrionics.  I remember that last year he was here watching him take off down the field in training camp.   The ground was literally tearing up under his feet!

The two guys the Steelers said they were glad would not return were Nelson and Jones.  It was the beginning of the end of our ascension.  If we keep those two and at least Whit and wouldn't have been picking 9 and 12 respectively.

It's really hard to balance a roster and the cap.  But we needed those 3 guys for sure.

Anyway water under the bridge.  And I'm all in on this year's new roster additions!

Yep, Marvin was a real find.  Miss him and wish him well.  
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 03:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: True on the "late WR love", but isn't it all symptomatic of the big issue?  I loved me some Sanu, but it was Marvin Jones that shined at X receiver, another 5th rounder with a lot of love....but he rose up and took the #2 role.  I would argue that when we were getting "indifferent AJ" that Jones would take over.  We haven't had someone do that since.  Maybe it is the bigger body I love to go with that vertical speed I love in Core.  The 22 mph (I think?) on his GPS that was even faster than Green (I also think?).  Your point about versatility is valid, but I would love to see that special teams demon Brandon Wilson return some kicks.  That kid is electric!

Finding a gem in the 5th round is much more common than finding one in the 6th or 7th though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote