Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out with the old in with the new
The Vets I think will be gone are as follows.
1. Adam Jones
2. Michael Johnson
3. Cedric Ogbuehi
4. Alex Erickson- who will go onto NE to be the next Wes Welker.

My surprise players for this year that I'm pulling for.
1. Brandon Wilson
2. Mason Schreck

Young players I hope contribute.
1. John Ross
2. Josh Malone
3. Malik Jefferson

Players I hope stick around and make the 53 man roster someday.
1. Ja'Von Rolland-Jones
2. Auden Tate

Prove me wrong draft picks.
1. Sam Hubbard
2. Mark Walton

Of course I hope every player plays lights out. Just want to know who your rooting for and who you think it's time to move on from.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 12:58 AM)TKUHL Wrote: The Vets I think will be gone are as follows.
1. Adam Jones
2. Michael Johnson
3. Cedric Ogbuehi

1. Brandon Wilson
2. Mason Schreck

1. John Ross
2. Josh Malone
3. Malik Jefferson

1. Ja'Von Rolland-Jones
2. Auden Tate

1. Sam Hubbard
2. Mark Walton

Of course I hope every player plays lights out. Just want to know who your rooting for and who you think it's time to move on from.
To be a class act the Bengals should let MJ go early. He will have several options. There is a LOT of young talent that needs to develop and they can't do that behind MJ. 
Mr. Jones good luck and THANK YOU sincerely for your OUTSTANDING work.
Ced Good luck and I PRAY they trade Erickson sooner than later. He is a VERY good option for NE, and you should be able to get a REALLY good draft choice.
The rest of your choices are good and I hope you are saying that Sam and Mark are going to work out. I think they will make it. Mark especially,
Sam has an excellent opportunity to blend into the mix of a VERY good front line, and Mark is a scary prospect coming off the bench or returner.

What I would like to see with the O-line is just this, situational rotation, meaning, during training camp determine the best combinations of players for specific situational blocking assignments. 
I know there are a lot of reasons people don't like doing this but in this age of specialization it might be time to consider the MASTER again.
Paul Brown used Tackles to relay plays all the time. 
Reply/Quote
I root for every player, vet, rookie and everyone in between. The way I see it every player has the potential to come in and have the best season of their lives. This doesn't mean they all will ,but it's always within the realm of possibility . None of them are so old that they can't have great seasons and none are too young. They all are there for a reason and we know that they all won't make it, but I still hope they all can be the guy(s) who light the league on fire. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why would Alex Erickson become the next Wes Welker for the Pats but not be good enough to make the cut here?  He could very easily still be the best returner on the team come cutdown day.
Reply/Quote
I could be wrong, but Ced is under contract this year. He wasn't signed for his optional fifth year, but he is under contract this season. I would imagine they will use him to back up Cordy Glenn (because he won't win the RT job) and someone will sign him next year, thinking he will fit their scheme (Dallas?). That way, the Bengals would at least get some measure toward a compensatory pick.

MJ was solid, but only as a rotational DT. His outside rush days are long gone. I don't think you can keep him for just that role.

Adam Jones: I went from loathing you, to loving you, to loathing you again. I am ready for your incredibly ungrateful ass to be out of here.

The offense is going to be heavily reliant on two things: A hopefully resurgent rushing attack, and the emergence of a #2 across from AJ Green. Having Eifert will help, but to really make this offense roll, Ross needs to fulfill his potential.

Erickson? I like the guy backing up Boyd in the slot and returning kicks.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 02:06 AM)jwayne Wrote: To be a class act the Bengals should let MJ go early. He will have several options. There is a LOT of young talent that needs to develop and they can't do that behind MJ. 
Ced Good luck and I PRAY they trade Erickson sooner than later. He is a VERY good option for NE, and you should be able to get a REALLY good draft choice.
The rest of your choices are good and I hope you are saying that Sam and Mark are going to work out. I think they will make it. Mark especially,
Sam has an excellent opportunity to blend into the mix of a VERY good front line, and Mark is a scary prospect coming off the bench or returner.

What I would like to see with the O-line is just this, situational rotation, meaning, during training camp determine the best combinations of players for specific situational blocking assignments. 
I know there are a lot of reasons people don't like doing this but in this age of specialization it might be time to consider the MASTER again.

Trading Erickson is going to get them a "REALLY good draft pick???"

The guy caught 18 passes the last 2 years combined. That's not getting you ANY draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 05:55 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Why would Alex Erickson become the next Wes Welker for the Pats but not be good enough to make the cut here?  He could very easily still be the best returner on the team come cutdown day.

My thoughts exactly! Good call on this one.  I think he sticks on the team even if it's on special teams. Just too good of an all around athlete. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Adam Jones was cut back in February or early March, wasn't he?

He's already gone.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 09:27 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Adam Jones was cut back in February or early March, wasn't he?

He's already gone.

Yeah, his contract was up at the end of the season. I haven't seen his name pop up anywhere since then either, except for here. He may have moved on to the Chris Crocker phase of his life. You know, play some golf, do some family things, remodel the man cave, and get a call in early fall to take an injured player's roster spot somewhere. His body may be slowing him down, but he's got enough savvy and ego-driven desire to be competent in limited roles of slot and returns. However, I'd rather it not be us that needs him anymore. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I knew/understand his contract was up - but there was discussion that the Bengals would pick him back up at a reduced rate.
Reply/Quote
Hate to break it to you guys, but Michael Johnson is not going anywhere. His biggest move this season will be to the DT spot....
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 09:27 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Adam Jones was cut back in February or early March, wasn't he?

He's already gone.

he was told he wouldn't be back without a paycut...  his contract was all 1 year options I believe or it expired..

He might have decided to retire.
Reply/Quote

He's already gone.

I was going to say the same thing, and they drafted his replacement.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 02:06 AM)jwayne Wrote: To be a class act the Bengals should let MJ go early. He will have several options. There is a LOT of young talent that needs to develop and they can't do that behind MJ. 

situational rotations are the trademark of sub par offensive lines
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 12:58 AM)TKUHL Wrote: The Vets I think will be gone are as follows.
1. Adam Jones
2. Michael Johnson
3. Cedric Ogbuehi

1. Brandon Wilson
2. Mason Schreck

1. John Ross
2. Josh Malone
3. Malik Jefferson

1. Ja'Von Rolland-Jones
2. Auden Tate

1. Sam Hubbard
2. Mark Walton

Vets who should be under pressure if not gone are Og , LaFell, Hopkins, Fisher, MJ, Illoka/Williams...still think Bullock could do with another training comp battle - I was for keeping him but still harbour doubts in the clutch.

Of the draft picks clearly we need Price performing from day 1...I'd love to see Bates earn a starting spot, would give us something different.

I really want to see whether westerman at the end of the year was a fluke or not - I think he can be good.

A guy I would like to  see contribute more is Willis at DE..i'm not sure he's a massive upgrade over MJ but people on the board are high on him so keen to see him progress this year
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 09:05 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Trading Erickson is going to get them a "REALLY good draft pick???"

The guy caught 18 passes the last 2 years combined. That's not getting you ANY draft pick.

That's a good amount of catches considering the opportunities he got. The guy has been reliable at everything we've asked him to do, and there were a lot of critical 3rd downs mixed in those 18 catches. He also produced well with 251 yards and 1 TD. I will say this though, through 2 years, he's been a very mediocre punt returner, and he regressed as a kick returner last year. I don't think we can trade him for anything.

I like his potential as a decent slot guy, but he's never going to be Wes Welker. That said, I'd rather cut the overrated (and less useful) Cody Core than Erickson, who can play slot or reliably return kicks if need be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Every year I see these types of posts created based on a fans hatred of a player. The predictions are rarely based on reality, but based on the player(s) the poster wants gone because in their opinion they stink. Guys like Peko, Rey M. and M. Johnson get trashed and fans hope they get cut versus getting better, if they get better it makes the poster look bad so they root against them.

We have 11 picks and Ufa's who likely will win 6 to 8 available roster spots. We lost already lost (9):

Jones
Bodine
Sims
McCarren
Hill
A. Smith
C. Smith
Minter
Winston

Added (3 more than likely)
Baker - Probable
Barkley )1 will make it either Barkley or Driskell to active roster
P Brown _ yes barring Inj.
Glenn - yes - barring inj.
Hart ??
Unknowns on practice squad?

I see marginal non starters going first or those on the practice squad versus Ced. O. or M. Johnson
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Cut Erikson? That's crazy talk.. he didn't not have a great season based purely on his own failures. The entire return team stank last year. He's another guy who didn't get any decent blocking. Improve the down field blocking and his numbers improve exponentially. 
If I didn't know better I would think every player plays every snap one on one with nobody else on the field . I don't see anyone screaming to cut Mixon and  Gio for the exact same reasons .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 12:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's a good amount of catches considering the opportunities he got. The guy has been reliable at everything we've asked him to do, and there were a lot of critical 3rd downs mixed in those 18 catches. He also produced well with 251 yards and 1 TD. I will say this though, through 2 years, he's been a very mediocre punt returner, and he regressed as a kick returner last year. I don't think we can trade him for anything.

I like his potential as a decent slot guy, but he's never going to be Wes Welker. That said, I'd rather cut the overrated (and less useful) Cody Core than Erickson, who can play slot or reliably return kicks if need be.

Agree with this 100%. When Andy has had time to get through his progressions deep enough, and pulls the trigger towards Erickson, Alex has shown he is reliable to catch it, and has converted numerous important 3rd downs for us. As for his regression in returns, I think that has more to do with ST's regressing and him not having as good of blocking.  And while I have nothing against Core, he hasn't really shown anything yet. If it comes down to who's more reliable, they have to keep Erickson over Core.
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised Vincent Rey isn't listed as a cut candidate. He didn't earn a starting role last year over Nick Vigil. He's third-best LB at best. The Bengals just drafted Jefferson in the third and also seem high on Worley as a UDFA. He's 30 years old, entering the last year of his contract, and would have a savings of $2.725 mill if cut (no dead cap).

I can definitely see the Bengals rolling with the following LBs this year once Burfict is back:
Burfict, Brown, Vigil, Evans, Jefferson, Lawson, Worley

Rey shouldn't be safe.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote