Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcoached?
So it looked like we ran a bunch of the same routes and did a bunch of short throws. But, I didn't realize it was this bad.

Our defensive coverage was bad too...according to this. Watson just couldn't take advantage.

This chart doesn't put blame on the line like the board is. This is on playcalling/gameplanning/and guys getting open.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So it looked like we ran a bunch of the same routes and did a bunch of short throws. But, I didn't realize it was this bad.

Our defensive coverage was bad too...according to this. Watson just couldn't take advantage.

This chart doesn't put blame on the line like the board is. This is on playcalling/gameplanning/and guys getting open.

Everyone in the game thread was talking about playcalling

The line wasn’t bad.

I think the Bengals line has been so ass that not it’s cool and fun to crap on the o line. I saw a line that played well yesterday Burrow was just ass. When you go on Facebook and X and ppl are shitting on Orlando and the line i think that’s just Chiefs and Browns fans. Brown gave up a sack to Myles Garrett. If your scale of what a good game is “give up 1 sack to Garrett and it’s a bad game automatically” then you are just trolling.

Something was up with Joe today. It may have been mental but to me it looked as if his grip had no power and that’s not just rain. I heard someone float around the idea that he had a thumb injury too. The route designs were vanilla and we didn’t even try and vary up the run game. That run game debacle is on Zac for calling the same run every 1st down. If you run on 1st every time you’ve got to be ready to run on second down a lot too and it appeared as if we went pass on nearly every 2nd down too. Then factor in you basically gotta pass on 3rd down, and you basically realize the Browns probably knew when we were running and passing. Then we subbed in Williams and Evans and those weee usually all passes. Think those 2 had 4 rushes total. With Mixon in we were a bit less predictable but it was still Uber predictable because we ran on every 1st down and passed on every 3rd down except 1 or 2. Then almost every pass was a sideline pass so we were cooked
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Very interesting chart. I confess that I haven't seen one like that before. Very telling.

And regarding the Chargers being near the bottom defensively, one of their DBs had the most brain-dead, bone-headed play yesterday. There were two seconds left in the first half. The QB was just heaving the ball up with no chance of the Hail Mary coming anywhere near the end zone. There were three Chargers surrounding the WR. There were two possible reasonable outcomes. the WR doesn't catch the ball and the half is over. The WR catches the ball and is tackled and the half is over. But the defensive back just shoves the receiver! Very obvious, no trying for the ball, just blatantly shoves the receiver. 30-yard PI that puts the ball in field goal range and then, of course Miami kicks a field goal to end the half. Had to see it to believe it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Everyone in the game thread was talking about playcalling

The line wasn’t bad.

I think the Bengals line has been so ass that not it’s cool and fun to crap on the o line. I saw a line that played well yesterday Burrow was just ass. When you go on Facebook and X and ppl are shitting on Orlando and the line i think that’s just Chiefs and Browns fans. Brown gave up a sack to Myles Garrett. If your scale of what a good game is “give up 1 sack to Garrett and it’s a bad game automatically” then you are just trolling.

Something was up with Joe today. It may have been mental but to me it looked as if his grip had no power and that’s not just rain. I heard someone float around the idea that he had a thumb injury too. The route designs were vanilla and we didn’t even try and vary up the run game. That run game debacle is on Zac for calling the same run every 1st down. If you run on 1st every time you’ve got to be ready to run on second down a lot too and it appeared as if we went pass on nearly every 2nd down too. Then factor in you basically gotta pass on 3rd down, and you basically realize the Browns probably knew when we were running and passing. Then we subbed in Williams and Evans and those weee usually all passes. Think those 2 had 4 rushes total. With Mixon in we were a bit less predictable but it was still Uber predictable because we ran on every 1st down and passed on every 3rd down except 1 or 2. Then almost every pass was a sideline pass so we were cooked

The line was bad yesterday. 

There's a lot of plays on film where guys are open or plays are developing and Burrow can't even do a two step drop before he starts running away. In

That being said, we all know Clevelands line gives us issues every game. Why not scheme around it? More screens, come out and try to really establish the run, quick slants. 

Game plan was just trash. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So it looked like we ran a bunch of the same routes and did a bunch of short throws. But, I didn't realize it was this bad.

In the end if Burrow plays like this against good teams.. we are not going to win many games.. he has great control over pre snap adjustments and where he throw the ball... Coaches share blame but Burrow is the best player on the field.. when he is playing bad, the team is in trouble.. the line was not horrible but still under par
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals coaches that took the team to the SuperBowl didn't become bad all of a sudden. Outreached? Nah!

I do think Burrow wasn't ready....be it physically and mentally. Lots happened to him in the last 4 weeks. Injury.....becoming a $¼ Billionaire. That's got to mess with your head.

He seemed tentative in the post game presser. That's unusual for him. He needed more practice and it showed.
Reply/Quote
Emerson and Newsome are lengthy CBs. Yet Joe was trying to heave 50/50 balls to Tee. Well MJ Emerson
Isn't 5'8 Marcus Jones. Those throws become 75 25 .The Browns CB knew what routes Chase and Tee were running. Plus every throw was to the
Boundary. Helloooo Burrow and Zac..the Boundary is like a 12th man. JB tried a back shoulder throw to Chase which Emerson easily defended
Reply/Quote
JB had about 3 days of practice this Preseason. How exotic could we be?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Only 4 pass attempts past the line of scrimmage in the middle 70-80% of the field, 0 of them deeper than 6 yards.

[Image: pass-chart_BUR679731_2023-REG-1_1694380513610.jpeg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I feel like we are always outreached on the offensive front with Zac. Lou makes adjustments and always seemed more prepared versus Zac
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only 4 pass attempts past the line of scrimmage in the middle 70-80% of the field, 0 of them deeper than 6 yards.

Was this the exact same issue people complained about in regards to ZT playcalling last year? 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Everyone in the game thread was talking about playcalling

The line wasn’t bad.

The very first pass of the game, that hit did something to him.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JB had about 3 days of practice this Preseason. How exotic could we be?

What's odd is that some posters were adamant that he had been practicing, just out of sight of the public. But it seems now they were wrong, as Joe was clearly out of synch. He looked like someone who was gutting it out, realizing he and the team were not prepared for this first game.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 07:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: What's odd is that some posters were adamant that he had been practicing, just out of sight of the public. But it seems now they were wrong, as Joe was clearly out of synch. He looked like someone who was gutting it out, realizing he and the team were not prepared for this first game.

I was someone who thought his experience with Boyd, Higgins, Mixon and Chase would mean there wouldn't be a drop off.....I was incorrect.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only 4 pass attempts past the line of scrimmage in the middle 70-80% of the field, 0 of them deeper than 6 yards.

This is terrible. How can you go into a game with a game plan to pretty much only throw it towards the sidelines. We’re effectively creating an extra defender for ourselves constantly. Hopefully we attack the middle of the field against the Ravens. And I would love to see some designed plays to scheme guys open.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 07:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: What's odd is that some posters were adamant that he had been practicing, just out of sight of the public. But it seems now they were wrong, as Joe was clearly out of synch. He looked like someone who was gutting it out, realizing he and the team were not prepared for this first game.

After watching the game I am solidly convinced Joe Burrow is still injured and badly so. Usually his right foot “plant and push off” technique is the best in the league but yesterday Joe couldn’t set his feet to throw. Yes, part of this was the effect of the pass rush but even when he had time his technique was clearly different; tentative, even.
Reply/Quote
Can't evaluate coaching when the QB can't execute the play. Burrow couldn't get a grip, literally, and as a result not many of his passes were truly catchable balls. There are two places to put the blame from the game. The QB, and the punter. Plain and simple.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 08:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After watching the game I am solidly convinced Joe Burrow is still injured and badly so.  Usually his right foot “plant and push off” technique is the best in the league but yesterday Joe couldn’t set his feet to throw.  Yes, part of this was the effect of the pass rush but even when he had time his technique was clearly different; tentative, even.

We may not know until after the season just how injured Joe was. After the game, Taylor wouldn't answer how it was and deflected that to Joe and Joe simply said "good enough." Not exactly a rousing endorsement that he was anywhere close to 100%.
Reply/Quote
Burrows worst games of his career have all come in the first two games of the seasons. Is this just shit luck with Burrows pre season injuries? Or is coaching to blame. A Joe Burrow led offense with Chase, Tee, Boyd, Mixon & Smith Jr. should be able to at least get a damn TD against Cleveland. We find ourselves in a what seems to be a must win against another AFCN rival. The playcalling was horrible but we only gave up 2 sacks. Burrow looked like a rookie in his first game. I excuse for this team to look as unprepared as they were. I’m not saying anything we dont already know. Guess I’m just venting too. Damnit.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 07:35 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: This is terrible. How can you go into a game with a game plan to pretty much only throw it towards the sidelines. We’re effectively creating an extra defender for ourselves constantly. Hopefully we attack the middle of the field against the Ravens. And I would love to see some designed plays to scheme guys open.

Looking at this I can’t help but wonder if Joe is still injured or got injured at some point. How do we NOT throw a single pass more than 6 yards down the middle. It was just a complete shit show, only good thing is it’s only week one and no serious injuries well that we know of.
Reply/Quote