Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside Hires Needed
I read that article from 2000 about how the Bengals didn't give players shoes and individual jock straps yesterday and it really made me think...that was 6-7 years into Mike Browns tenure. Most, if not all of the Bengals management has only worked for the Bengals...so none see how other organizations do things from the inside. They don't know that the way we do things are not the same. ie - The way the Bengals have always done things is their norm.

Groupthink is defined as the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.

Marvin has been here some 14-15 years. Alexander has been here some 24 years. Guenther has been with Marvin for some 14 years.

To expect Guenther to be drastically different from Marvin after spending all that time with him...likely isn't realistic. Marvin has fundamentally shaped who Guenther is.

Lazor is outside. Maybe a few other assistants, but even they tend to stay here for a long time once hired. When a coordinator leaves, the Bengals generally shift the next guy into that role. It's like they fear fresh ideas and change.

Without having outside people, you can't see how other teams do things...and it eventually leads to complacency. There are some companies that do this. Union jobs tend to be that way. State jobs where you just stay somewhere so long that you move up.

Marvin came from outside years ago and came in and changed some things...but at some point he was indoctrinated into the 'Bengals way.'

If I had to name the 1 major problem that the Bengals have...I'd say it is this 'groupthink'.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 10:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read that article from 2000 about how the Bengals didn't give players shoes and individual jock straps yesterday and it really made me think...that was 6-7 years into Mike Browns tenure. Most, if not all of the Bengals management has only worked for the Bengals...so none see how other organizations do things from the inside. They don't know that the way we do things are not the same. ie - The way the Bengals have always done things is their norm.

Groupthink is defined as the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.

Marvin has been here some 14-15 years. Alexander has been here some 24 years. Guenther has been with Marvin for some 14 years.

To expect Guenther to be drastically different from Marvin after spending all that time with him...likely isn't realistic. Marvin has fundamentally shaped who Guenther is.

Lazor is outside. Maybe a few other assistants, but even they tend to stay here for a long time once hired. When a coordinator leaves, the Bengals generally shift the next guy into that role. It's like they fear fresh ideas and change.

Without having outside people, you can't see how other teams do things...and it eventually leads to complacency. There are some companies that do this. Union jobs tend to be that way. State jobs where you just stay somewhere so long that you move up.

Marvin came from outside years ago and came in and changed some things...but at some point he was indoctrinated into the 'Bengals way.'

If I had to name the 1 major problem that the Bengals have...I'd say it is this 'groupthink'.

Thoughts?

Marvin came from outside the organization and quickly followed suit to how the Bengals org operates.
The new and fresh ideas from outside won't happen until the owner changes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:09 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Marvin came from outside the organization and quickly followed suit to how the Bengals org operates.
The new and fresh ideas from outside won't happen until the owner changes.

I'd say that is probably the case as the sheer volume of people who've only worked for the Bengals or worked here for 10+ years is overwhelming...and groupthink kicks in.

Groupthink is powerful.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say that is probably the case as the sheer volume of people who've only worked for the Bengals or worked here for 10+ years is overwhelming...and groupthink kicks in.

Groupthink is powerful.

Ok so what you're really saying is you want there to be a mass firing and then a lot of outside hires brought in at once. Maybe it's because I just quickly skimmed through, but I didn't get that from what you originally wrote.
If that's the case, it simply won't happen. Brown is a very conservative person and does not change a lot of things at once.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok so what you're really saying is you want there to be a mass firing and then a lot of outside hires brought in at once. Maybe it's because I just quickly skimmed through, but I didn't get that from what you originally wrote.
If that's the case, it simply won't happen. Brown is a very conservative person and does not change a lot of things at once.

Yep. A lot of people want Guenther hired because they see the defense is good.

My argument is that we need someone to come in and build a system here and create a culture. After working for Lewis since 2003ish...I doubt that Guenther is going to do things significantly different. He'll come in and do things like they've always been done...which will yield similar results after the 1st couple years. Initially the team may receive a boost.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. A lot of people want Guenther hired because they see the defense is good.

My argument is that we need someone to come in and build a system here and create a culture. After working for Lewis since 2003ish...I doubt that Guenther is going to do things significantly different. He'll come in and do things like they've always been done...which will yield similar results after the 1st couple years. Initially the team may receive a boost.

This is what we always want yet we get what MB wants unfortunately. 

A yes man. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote