Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overreaction Day
Andy Dalton might not throw another incomplete pass...ever. 

Seriously, though, I heard the postgame show discussing Jake Fisher and his versatility.  They were describing him as "the first lineman off the bench" and how his athleticism would allow him to line up as the extra OT, etc. 

My overreaction (it was his first game action) is that I thought he looked awful.  Flopping on the ground.  Whiffing blocks.  Poor balance, etc.  I even watched some of the replay when I got home, isolated on him, and it only confirmed the bad showing.  I didn't get to the blocked punt at the end of the game, but I think he was the one that missed that block, too. 

I remember way back when watching a very young Andrew Whitworth get destroyed at Indianapolis by their DEs and thinking "this guy is never going to make it", only to have him develop in to one of the best LTs in the league.  Fisher is going to have a long way to go to try and replace Andre Smith next year, if that is the plan. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
but....the team did bounce back well after the Tampa game 5 nights earlier. ....Ever since the awful 2010 season, I have loved the NO QUIT of this new era of Bengals. Last night was a good bounce back and NO QUIT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Fisher had a tough outing. Shiloh Keo missed the assignment on the punt block.
Fisher has potential. And personally, I think the Bengals look even smarter for taking a player like that when they did. He doesn't have to start, they can take all season to coach him up in practice, and he gets mentored by Whitworth. How valuable will watching film be for him when he gets to evaluate his mistakes, then gets to see what guys like Whit and Andre Smith do on film? By the time Whit and Smith move on, he...and Ogbuehi...should be able to make a very smooth transition to starter.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:29 AM)Beaker Wrote: Fisher had a tough outing. Shiloh Keo missed the assignment on the punt block.
Fisher has potential. And personally, I think the Bengals look even smarter for taking a player like that when they did. He doesn't have to start, they can take all season to coach him up in practice, and he gets mentored by Whitworth. How valuable will watching film be for him when he gets to evaluate his mistakes, then gets to see what guys like Whit and Andre Smith do on film? By the time Whit and Smith move on, he...and Ogbuehi...should be able to make a very smooth transition to starter.

I sure hope so.  Right now, I see them both as the players that could have been vertical WR threats.  His holding penalty was ridiculous.  He got planted, then he turned and tackled his defender by grabbing his ankles???  It honestly looked like he had never played tackle in his life.  That learning curve is going to be steep. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:27 AM)kevin Wrote: but....the team did bounce back well after the Tampa game 5 nights earlier. ....Ever since the awful 2010 season, I have loved the NO QUIT of this new era of Bengals. Last night was a good bounce back and NO QUIT.

I love it too, but I wish they could find the consistency not to have those total stinker games. I mean when those happen, they aren't losing on a last minute FG or anything....they aren't even being competitive. Now I dont really care about the TB game since preseason is not an indicator. But I am talking about games like the fist browns game last season. The whole team played like poop. They did bounce back, but where do those total no shows come from?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I sure hope so.  Right now, I see them both as the players that could have been vertical WR threats.  His holding penalty was ridiculous.  He got planted, then he turned and tackled his defender by grabbing his ankles???  It honestly looked like he had never played tackle in his life.  That learning curve is going to be steep. 

Didn't he have not one but two penalties for not being lined up right?  Guess he has nowhere to go but up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Was that Jake Fisher or Jake from State Farm? Talk about needing liability insurance...if he's the first lineman in off the bench...uggh.

Is it humanly possible for anyone to have played worse? He even struggled with the Bears 3rd team in the 4th quarter.

3 penalties and would have had a 4th if not for a fumble.

We need to scour the waiver wire for a cap casualty to shore things up.
Reply/Quote
Fisher did have miscues out there but you could also see where with more reps he could do something like slide in at LG if they have to bench Bodine and slide Boling over or other such scenarios.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: I love it too, but I wish they could find the consistency not to have those total stinker games. I mean when those happen, they aren't losing on a last minute FG or anything....they aren't even being competitive. Now I dont really care about the TB game since preseason is not an indicator. But I am talking about games like the fist browns game last season. The whole team played like poop. They did bounce back, but where do those total no shows come from?

That's the million dollar question. How can this team look like world beaters most weeks, yet look like the 2008 Lions in prime-time and playoff games? It makes no sense. You'd think they would've overcome it by now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought both penalties where Fisher lined up wrong were borderline. Kind of like the ref wanted to indoctrinate the rookie. The next time Fisher got into his stance, didn't he kind of point to the ref to clarify he was ok....
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the million dollar question. How can this team look like world beaters most weeks, yet look like the 2008 Lions in prime-time and playoff games? It makes no sense. You'd think they would've overcome it by now.

Well, let's be fair.  They played a great game against Denver in Prime Time.  I won't count a preseason game, even one on National TV as a "stinker".  The Bears looked flatter than a pancake last night, too.  And there are countless other contenders that have sucked big time in the preseason.  If they look flat in a regular season game again, ok.  But right now, I think they have not done that since the Cleveland game at home last year. 
Reply/Quote
One of the biggest knocks on Fisher in college was that he was a penalty machine. If he couldn't hold his water vs the defenses of the Pac whatever, then he's going to have a tough road vs the stunting 3-4 units in the AFC North.

I won't lie, I still hate the double OT picks. They do little for the team in 2015, which bothers the hell out of me. Aside from that, I just don't like the 2 players all that much. I don't see either as a capable LT. Ogbuehi did poorly when moved to the left side in college. My issue with Fisher is the aforementioned false starting. Fisher seems like a player that will at best be capable, but never really very good.

People look at them as replacements for Whit and Dre as if the transition will be seamless just because the team went out and grabbed two high picks to put in their places. Andre's health issues aside, you're talking about replacing arguably the best OT tandem in the league. These two have a long way to go before they're anywhere close to that. Regardless of where they were picked or how bold of a move it was, they still have to prove out on the field.

In a couple of years, when we see what they have in these two, I think there will be a lot of very disappointed Bengal fans.
Reply/Quote
Are we absolutely sure that Andre and Whit will both be gone? If Andre has a solid year, I think there's a chance he stays around if Whit retires. If not, Whit could stay another year or 2 and work with both of these guys. I don't think we can just assume both will be automatically replaced by Ced and Jake after this year. Especially if there are no issues on the line this year and neither get any PT.
Reply/Quote
It's tough being a rookie lineman in the league. Those guys that get drafted to start as LT as a rookie... they usually get blown up all year.

Fisher will be fine with some more work :)
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the million dollar question. How can this team look like world beaters most weeks, yet look like the 2008 Lions in prime-time and playoff games? It makes no sense. You'd think they would've overcome it by now.

I said before, they need to move their practice time to 9 pm under the lights and keep it there until playing under the lights is second nature.

I am dead serious. Its a mental block and as crazy as that sounds, maybe repeated play in those conditions would eventually remove whatever mental mishap is going on there.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:59 PM)Beaker Wrote: I said before, they need to move their practice time to 9 pm under the lights and keep it there until playing under the lights is second nature.

I am dead serious. Its a mental block and as crazy as that sounds, maybe repeated play in those conditions would eventually remove whatever mental mishap is going on there.

It can't be as simple as that, can it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I sure hope so.  Right now, I see them both as the players that could have been vertical WR threats.  His holding penalty was ridiculous.  He got planted, then he turned and tackled his defender by grabbing his ankles???  It honestly looked like he had never played tackle in his life.  That learning curve is going to be steep. 

No doubt man this pisses me off....they could of had a very good receiver with one of those picks. If they are not gonna upgrade the QB at least give him some more weapons. I do think some development time can be expected with the Tackles, though.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:08 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: No doubt man this pisses me off....they could of had a very good receiver with one of those picks. If they are not gonna upgrade the QB at least give him some more weapons. I do think some development time can be expected with the Tackles, though.

Agreed.  I had no problem grooming a replacement for Andre Smith, but two tackles just didn't make a lot of sense to me.  Nothing we can do about it now. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 05:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  I had no problem grooming a replacement for Andre Smith, but two tackles just didn't make a lot of sense to me.  Nothing we can do about it now. 

It does if you also think about Winston's age.  In my mind, without breaking the bank they were able to get two quality prospects as an insurance policy for the 3 expiring tackle contracts.  In reality, Fisher is a lower cap hit than Winston, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston not make the squad this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It does if you also think about Winston's age.  In my mind, without breaking the bank they were able to get two quality prospects as an insurance policy for the 3 expiring tackle contracts.  In reality, Fisher is a lower cap hit than Winston, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston not make the squad this year.

I don't know, man.  Ogbuieoie, is not going to be available this year, Fischer isn't looking so swell.  The team MUST have a reliable 3rd Tackle to call upon, in case of injury.  I see Winston making the roster.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote