Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overreaction Day
(08-30-2015, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know, man.  Ogbuieoie, is not going to be available this year, Fischer isn't looking so swell.  The team MUST have a reliable 3rd Tackle to call upon, in case of injury.  I see Winston making the roster.

Not saying it SHOULD happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:59 PM)Beaker Wrote: I said before, they need to move their practice time to 9 pm under the lights and keep it there until playing under the lights is second nature.

I am dead serious. Its a mental block and as crazy as that sounds, maybe repeated play in those conditions would eventually remove whatever mental mishap is going on there.

I'm not against giving that a try but it's hard to replicate the mentality of getting ready to play a football game with the nation watching you.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the million dollar question. How can this team look like world beaters most weeks, yet look like the 2008 Lions in prime-time and playoff games? It makes no sense. You'd think they would've overcome it by now.

You cant overcome that which will not die.

Thanks Marv
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It does if you also think about Winston's age.  In my mind, without breaking the bank they were able to get two quality prospects as an insurance policy for the 3 expiring tackle contracts.  In reality, Fisher is a lower cap hit than Winston, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston not make the squad this year.

I don't believe this year's team has any cap issues, but I think they may have an issue with depth at the WR position. 

I understand what you are saying, but I think it was a year too soon.  They needed a burner at WR and there were lots there. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know, man.  Ogbuieoie, is not going to be available this year, Fischer isn't looking so swell.  The team MUST have a reliable 3rd Tackle to call upon, in case of injury.  I see Winston making the roster.

I hear ya, but at the same time, I hope we find someone more reliable than Winston. Ultimately, I think that's what they were hoping Fischer might give them as early as this year, with Ogbuieoie waiting in the wings as a 4th guy who can play OT. Both of them could move inside to guard in a pinch, as well. Ideally, that would give us at least 6 solid OLinemen, plus Hopkins who they hope can also play center. I'm counting Boling and Zeitler. I wouldn't consider Bodine very solid, not yet. Hopkins hasn't fully recovered from his injury, which has opened the door to TJ Johnson, who might make it as a G/C, while Hopkins goes on PUP or IR. 

Bottom line is that, right now, we really don't have a reliable 3rd OT. France might be the closest thing to it, but he doesn't thrill me much either. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 03:01 AM)Shady Wrote: I hear ya, but at the same time, I hope we find someone more reliable than Winston. Ultimately, I think that's what they were hoping Fischer might give them as early as this year, with Ogbuieoie waiting in the wings as a 4th guy who can play OT. Both of them could move inside to guard in a pinch, as well. Ideally, that would give us at least 6 solid OLinemen, plus Hopkins who they hope can also play center. I'm counting Boling and Zeitler. I wouldn't consider Bodine very solid, not yet. Hopkins hasn't fully recovered from his injury, which has opened the door to TJ Johnson, who might make it as a G/C, while Hopkins goes on PUP or IR. 

Bottom line is that, right now, we really don't have a reliable 3rd OT. France might be the closest thing to it, but he doesn't thrill me much either. 

I don't always like "line shuffles", but I think in a pinch the best option is moving Zeitler to tackle and filling his spot with someone like Hopkins. 
Reply/Quote
Wow...according to truck (and PFF), Fisher graded out at a -9. Lowest score I have ever seen.... I guess you can only go up?
Reply/Quote

Thought I read a quote from Ced O saying he could play right now, which makes me think he might play after game 7.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I know it is only one game, but when he dove at that guy's ankles to tackle him....I can't help but think that Fisher will always be what could have been at WR. Makes me sick.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, let's be fair.  They played a great game against Denver in Prime Time.  I won't count a preseason game, even one on National TV as a "stinker".  The Bears looked flatter than a pancake last night, too.  And there are countless other contenders that have sucked big time in the preseason.  If they look flat in a regular season game again, ok.  But right now, I think they have not done that since the Cleveland game at home last year. 

Hey I was excited about the Broncos game too, but they followed that with 2 more stinkers on national TV.

Their record at this point speaks for itself.

(08-30-2015, 02:59 PM)Beaker Wrote: I said before, they need to move their practice time to 9 pm under the lights and keep it there until playing under the lights is second nature.

I am dead serious. Its a mental block and as crazy as that sounds, maybe repeated play in those conditions would eventually remove whatever mental mishap is going on there.

Not to get the practice facility debate going (I can't believe there are actually people who debate against one), but they could turn on the lights and pump in crowd noise if they had a facility. Many teams do this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 04:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hey I was excited about the Broncos game too, but they followed that with 2 more stinkers on national TV.

Their record at this point speaks for itself.

Not to get the practice facility debate going (I can't believe there are actually people who debate against one), but they could turn on the lights and pump in crowd noise if they had a facility. Many teams do this.

You are calling the steelers game, which was meaningless to the Bengals, a stinker?  They were in position to win it and then the steelers head shot AJ and one other player to wrap it up in typical assbag fashion.  I would hardly call that game a stinker.

And the playoff game?  I will get killed for this and called an apologist, but I think we have been over and over how many players were not available for that game. 

I'm not against any strategy different from the status quo to get them more prepared for primetime games, but I will reserve any further criticism on this matter until I see it this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are calling the steelers game, which was meaningless to the Bengals, a stinker?  They were in position to win it and then the steelers head shot AJ and one other player to wrap it up in typical assbag fashion.  I would hardly call that game a stinker.

And the playoff game?  I will get killed for this and called an apologist, but I think we have been over and over how many players were not available for that game. 

I'm not against any strategy different from the status quo to get them more prepared for primetime games, but I will reserve any further criticism on this matter until I see it this year.

There were plenty of players missing on offense against the Colts, so why did the defense suck? Yet another coincidental primetime game that the team didn't show up for I guess.

Your last sentence reminds me of many others on here. I've been hearing "don't sleep on Marvin!" by the same people for 5+ years. I've been hearing "well, I know X happened in the past, but I'll reserve criticism until I see it happen some more", even though it has been the same pattern and same conclusion for over a decade. I mean, how much more do you really need to see? Why do you need yet another year of primetime futility before you can acknowledge the magnitude of the issue?

With a fanbase like this, I'm not surprised a guy like Marvin Lewis has stuck around for over a decade.

Also, your bias is REALLY showing when you constantly complain about how the Steelers play football. A.J. fumbled before taking the second shot, and he was falling and didn't seem like the defender intentionally targeted his head. If you're going to complain about any play of that game, how about when Reggie took out Le'Veon Bell's knee??? That was the dirtiest hit in the game, but of course you just cry about the Steelers because that's par for the course with you.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't believe this year's team has any cap issues, but I think they may have an issue with depth at the WR position. 

I understand what you are saying, but I think it was a year too soon.  They needed a burner at WR and there were lots there. 

The 2016 OT class looks pretty good too in terms of depth of the position. The Bengals definitely could have only gone with one OT in the first two rounds this year and take an OT next year. They must really really like Ogbuehi.

The Bengals could have also gone for Malcolm Brown in the first round and taken another WR where they drafted Hardison. Stefon Diggs was available in the late fourth round.

On a related note regarding DT....I didn't realize Grady Jarrett was on the board when the Bengals took Hardison. I liked the Hardison selection, but I would have liked Jarrett better.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You guys need to slow your roll on all the draft criticism. It is way too early to tell if we made the right decision or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 08:45 AM)djs7685 Wrote: There were plenty of players missing on offense against the Colts, so why did the defense suck? Yet another coincidental primetime game that the team didn't show up for I guess.

Your last sentence reminds me of many others on here. I've been hearing "don't sleep on Marvin!" by the same people for 5+ years. I've been hearing "well, I know X happened in the past, but I'll reserve criticism until I see it happen some more", even though it has been the same pattern and same conclusion for over a decade. I mean, how much more do you really need to see? Why do you need yet another year of primetime futility before you can acknowledge the magnitude of the issue?

With a fanbase like this, I'm not surprised a guy like Marvin Lewis has stuck around for over a decade.

Also, your bias is REALLY showing when you constantly complain about how the Steelers play football. A.J. fumbled before taking the second shot, and he was falling and didn't seem like the defender intentionally targeted his head. If you're going to complain about any play of that game, how about when Reggie took out Le'Veon Bell's knee??? That was the dirtiest hit in the game, but of course you just cry about the Steelers because that's par for the course with you.

What is your issue?  I am getting really tired of your lame "your bias" blah, blah, blah....every GD THREAD!!!  If you think taking a head shot is at all like Nelson's hit against Bell then that is a you problem.  Go read the recent rule changes and maybe then you will understand.  I didn't "cry" about anything.  I did, however, see an improvement in the Primetime game against the Broncos and I was willing to accept the positive and move on to this year.  To continually whine about something that hasn't met your expectations is your right, but don't try to trounce my belief that they did, in fact, play well in the Broncos and steelers game.  They were in the steelers game as well, with really nothing on the line....something you averted your attention away from to piss and moan about my belief that the steelers are a dirty team, which they are. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys need to slow your roll on all the draft criticism.  It is way too early to tell if we made the right decision or not.

Is it?  I know that Tate is likely to still be on this roster come opening day. Sick

And I know that neither of the two tackles selected in the first two rounds are likely to have any impact this season (I hope that is wrong...but WOW, did Fisher look bad Saturday Night)

Not selecting the DT (Brown) in Round 1 I get, because they had brought back Pat Sims.  The second round selection, though, really puzzled me. 

Last year I was hopeful they would select Jeff Janis in a later round.  I think I remember starting a thread about him on the old boards.   He ended up going by the Bengals, even in Round 7.  He looks like a solid player for Green Bay who suddenly needed depth at WR.  One injury, and this immediately becomes our weakest position group (again). 

I know it is stupid to rush to judgment on really any player selected this year, but I was so hopeful that a burner at WR would have been added.  And on top of that, it was a pretty deep draft class for WRs. 

Alford has been inconsistent, but I like what he brings to the table in terms of his versatility.  He also seems to track the deep ball well (his college analysis).  A part of me is hopeful that the very first play of the game, the Bengals have Alford lined up in the slot on the same side of the field as AJ.  Have AJ cut underneath the route and send Alford deep after a double move to break free.  After a play-action fake, have Dalton air it out to Alford.  I would think their defense will be selling out on Hill and AJ.  If it is there, take the shot. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What is your issue?  I am getting really tired of your lame "your bias" blah, blah, blah....every GD THREAD!!!  If you think taking a head shot is at all like Nelson's hit against Bell then that is a you problem.  Go read the recent rule changes and maybe then you will understand.  I didn't "cry" about anything.  I did, however, see an improvement in the Primetime game against the Broncos and I was willing to accept the positive and move on to this year.  To continually whine about something that hasn't met your expectations is your right, but don't try to trounce my belief that they did, in fact, play well in the Broncos and steelers game.  They were in the steelers game as well, with really nothing on the line....something you averted your attention away from to piss and moan about my belief that the steelers are a dirty team, which they are. 

I'm getting really tired of your lame "that's a you problem" in every thread Rolleyes Your clear biases are a YOU problem.

The guy didn't take a head shot, genius. He was coming in for a tackle, A.J. started to go down, and he ended up connection near his head. You're insane if you think that was targeted. Yes, anyone that reads your posts could see that you have a VERY clear bias against Pittsburgh, but so do many others on here. You always cry about them, you're one of the guys that labels everything they do to be "dirty" even when our players do WORSE things in the same game. Oh well, you'll never see it because you're a guy that can't take the orange tinted glasses off. The Bengals are just as "dirty" as Pittsburgh whether you and the others will admit it.

They didn't play very well against the Steelers. They weren't awful, but Pittsburgh tried to give us the game on more occasions than we tried to win the game it seemed.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 08:45 AM)djs7685 Wrote: There were plenty of players missing on offense against the Colts, so why did the defense suck? Yet another coincidental primetime game that the team didn't show up for I guess.

How does one have anything to do with the other?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote