Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owners approve PAT changes
Not a fan of this at all.

People seem to think that it's a gimme - it should be. Part of the reason a TD is almost always worth 7 points is so that it is worth more than 2 field goals.

Personally, I don't see the need to tinker with the distance. If you want to change anything about it, let the defense score (which they changed) and move the 2 point conversion to the 1.5 yard line.
Reply/Quote
So do you get a penalty if you audible from a set formation into a kick attempt at the 2? Also, it will be interesting to see if someone will try to fake a kick from the 15. The plan itself sounds more like a gimmick. Next will be eliminating the kickoff rather than moving back a few yards. Hey lets just get rid of punts too while you're at it.
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with it. Extra points should be harder. This makes a PAT something like 32 or 33 yards. Nugent missed a 36 yarder in that tie against the Panthers. I'm just saying.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:10 AM)MrRager Wrote: Oh, I know it's the point, but I just don't agree with it. I hate the idea that this little pointless play can play such a large factor in deciding games. I think the offense/defense and other special teams plays should hold more weight. That's why I was for removing it and just giving the team an option to take a point.

We will forsure. I just think that sucks. The PAT went from like 99.5% to 95ish%.

NFL insiders said today it is currently 99% over the past 10 years for pat's and the new range of 33yds is at 89%. I think in bad weather conditions, we'll see a lot more 2pt tries.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 04:43 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: NFL insiders said today it is currently 99% over the past 10 years for pat's and the new range of 33yds is at 89%. I think in bad weather conditions, we'll see a lot more 2pt tries.

89%?

I'm curious if anyone happens to have a percentage of 33 yard kicks that are lined up in the center and not on the left or right hash.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:19 AM)phil413 Wrote: So do you get a penalty if you audible from a set formation into a kick attempt at the 2?  Also, it will be interesting to see if someone will try to fake a kick from the 15.  The plan itself sounds more like a gimmick.  Next will be eliminating the kickoff rather than moving back a few yards.  Hey lets just get rid of punts too while you're at it.

Don't know, but I think you would have to get some sort if penalty, otherwise everyone will just audible and chip it in.
Reply/Quote
I'll say this should make things interesting, but it does seem odd that the NFL is changing part of the game simply because the rate of success is so high that it is deemed automatic and boring. This is the same NFL that moved the kickoff spot up to increase touchbacks and lessen kick returns and now they are moving extra point attempts back? Pretty wacky. So if the touchback rate gets too high I suppose they'll move the kickoff spot back to where it was before to keep that from becoming an "automatic" boring thing?

Ida know. As someone pointed out the high success rate of the PAT is what makes TD's more than twice as valuable as field goals. Anyways, we should see some wacky scores and situations I hope, but I also wouldn't find it too crazy if many teams employed a second QB with the express purpose of the dual-threat on the 2PC as someone mentioned with Pryor.
Reply/Quote
This could make or break some fantasy teams! Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm all for making extra point attempts harder, but I honestly thought the NFL would just do away with the PAT and just make the extra point automatic. So after scoring a TD, your choice is a free point or try for a 2 point conversion. I'm kind of surprised they went the other way in trying to make them harder.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 10:22 PM)livebythe10 Wrote: Man. A few more yards and it would be out of Nugent's range.

We need a kicking upgrade. Hope this newbie beats him out.

Tiger Ya know, I want to agree, but I'm just squarely on the fence.

Nuge missed a game winner that ended in a tie. Nuge hit a 57 yarder in the Playoff game. We really need a kicker who can put the ball deep into or out of the endzone consistently.

Who knows, if the new guy is as good as advertised...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I like the changes. I'm thrilled that they can finally return XP's and the 2 pointers, like you can in college.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Scrap the PAT all together. Make a TD worth 7 with option to go for an 8th point from the 2.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:18 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not a fan of this at all.  

People seem to think that it's a gimme - it should be.  Part of the reason a TD is almost always worth 7 points is so that it is worth more than 2 field goals.  

Personally, I don't see the need to tinker with the distance.  If you want to change anything about it, let the defense score (which they changed) and move the 2 point conversion to the 1.5 yard line.

I agree 100%.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I have to say that I find it interesting fans of a team that has genuinely missed the playoffs due to a missed extra point are so sure they are automatic. Eep!
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think it's a step in the right direction. I'm hoping that eventually the extra point is done away with, leaving just the two point play as the only option.

I think it would make games a lot more intriguing- I mean, I usually tune out during extra points because it's essentially guaranteed points (unless the weather conditions are poor). Making the 2 point conversion the only option would bring in some more interesting situations and hopefully trick plays, making the game in general better.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm all for making extra point attempts harder, but I honestly thought the NFL would just do away with the PAT and just make the extra point automatic. So after scoring a TD, your choice is a free point or try for a 2 point conversion. I'm kind of surprised they went the other way in trying to make them harder.

I'm surprised, too. I'm still hoping they'll add more options in the future, though. Like spot the ball (for PATs) at the 15 for 1 point, 25 for 2, 35 for 3, etc. Let coaches gamble however much or little they want. Kicks really should be worth more, in general, if we're going to keep calling it football.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see a team run a fake PAT kick from the 15.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 09:48 PM)Ryuko Wrote: I'm surprised, too. I'm still hoping they'll add more options in the future, though. Like spot the ball (for PATs) at the 15 for 1 point, 25 for 2, 35 for 3, etc. Let coaches gamble however much or little they want. Kicks really should be worth more, in general, if we're going to keep calling it football.

Ha, then kickers would make as much as QBs!
Reply/Quote