Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PATS tune
My F150 has a malfunctioning PATS (Passive anti-theft system) so the signal from the chip in the key is reporting theft when in fact it's just a malfunction in the system. What happens is it shuts down the fuel pump so it won't start, but it's intermittent so sometimes it starts, other times it doesn't. I know this is the problem because the PATS light on the dash lights up, flashes a few times and it won't start. When it does start it does what it's supposed to do, light up once then goes out and it starts. It's happened twice now, both times stranding me in parking lots nearby. The very reputable shop I've had the truck in has gone over everything and the truck has never failed to start for them..No bad reporting from the computer system,, The PATS system doesn't send a code for this particular problem..
Sooo..anyway, there is a company in Florida that takes or deletes the PATS portion out of the PCM module (The tune) and leaves the rest perfectly intact for $79+S&H. I'll be sending it to them later in the week for the tune..
Anyone else ever run into this problem with their F150? of course the F150 isn't alone with this problem, but it's the only solution I have at this point and a hell of a lot less expensive than a new fuel pump. The OEM pump from Ford lists for about $535. There are cheaper aftermarket pumps available, but I'm not going to trust the $43 version from ebay not to mention the tank is full with over 40 gallons in it and has to be dropped and removed from the truck to even get to the fuel pump.. Whatever happened to the old, bolt onto the engine fuel pumps? They were so much simpler to deal with.. 
The company also advertises this service as an ebay listing, but I'm not going that route, but will send them the PCM.
If you're interested because of similar problems here's their link on ebay.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATS-Removal-Delete-Tune-for-a-97-03-Ford-F150-Truck-Computer-Mail-in-Your-PCM/352600812926?hash=item5218a56d7e:g:~m8AAOSwIt5cb7hL
There are numerous other reasons the truck might not start, but we've pretty much narrowed it down to the PATS..
The best part aside from fixing the problem...No more having to pay big bucks for a key with a chip. Any key that'll open the door will start it. I'm not concerned with some nitwit stealing a 17 year old truck needing a chip it doesn't really need..The last replacement key cost over $100 and took em 4 hours to figure out the right code.. And by the way..If you ever need the code to have a new key made on an old ford truck key it's right on the PCM located on the passenger side behind the kick panel.. On most older fords.. As far as theft goes.. I seldom bothering to even lock doors. Thieves usually just break the window to take whatever they want anyway. They get your stuff anyway and you get a lot of broken glass on your seat.. Ever have to drive home on broken glass? it's nowhere near as much fun as seen on TV..  Whatever  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote