Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PBS No Fans in Stadium Experience
I watched a soccer match the other day without any fans in the stands. It was dead quiet and they used some animation to give the appearance of different colored tiles in the stands representing each team. I did not like it. I hope the Bengals and NFL do a better job with this scenario. It was about as corny as the Korean Baseball stuff. I would rather hear cheering and see fans dressed up in jerseys.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 10:14 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I watched a soccer match the other day without any fans in the stands. It was dead quiet and they used some animation to give the appearance of different colored tiles in the stands representing each team. I did not like it. I hope the Bengals and NFL do a better job with this scenario. It was about as corny as the Korean Baseball stuff. I would rather hear cheering and see fans dressed up in jerseys.

This is what they have done in Australia

Reply/Quote
It would be easy enough to just angle all cameras to the field and not show the crowd (except on etra points), then pump crowd noise in.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 08:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It would be easy enough to just angle all cameras to the field and not show the crowd (except on etra points), then pump crowd noise in.

That's what has been done here in Australia, the fake crowd noise takes away the echo effect you get in an empty stadium.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 08:03 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: This is what they have done in Australia

First one won't play, but the 2nd one is not too bad. I get so interested in the game, the "crowd" really just disappears anyway when watching at home.
Reply/Quote
I don't care for the idea of no fan noises. But I also realize it is too soon to have that many people together in a crowd. But one way or another, I'm ready for some damn football!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Last year would have been ideal for no fans seeing as our home crowd was either non existent or booing.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 10:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Last year would have been ideal for no fans seeing as our home crowd was either non existent or booing.

Agree.  Most of the team will probably be used to the quiet in PBS.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 10:58 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Agree.  Most of the team will probably be used to the quiet in PBS.

Every team is going to go through the same thing.  Im actually surprised more of us aren't happy the loud and obnoxious Steeler and Cowboys fans that pack every stadium wont be screaming their way to favorable calls for one single year.  
Reply/Quote
Exclamation 
If you're focusing on the crowds, you're not focusing on the game!!! 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
So I kinda had a wild thought. What if the NFL had a raffle for each weeks game to send a small group (Less than 50) of fans from both teams to the game? Those fans could sit spaced apart, and each team would have thier fans on opposite sides of the stadium.

I think it would be kind of a neat idea. From what I understand there's going to be well over 200 people there anyways, between the team and league personnel. So I can't imagine adding a very small amount of fans as adding to the risk.

Heck, each team could somehow select their fans they want to represent the team each week. Be it a raffle, a voting system for everyone to vote on, or they could have fans send in submissions and the team could select weekly winners.

I think you could get a real colorful mix of people together, and it would probably be pretty entertaining. Plus you could reward your fans and keep them engaged from week to week, hoping they get selected.

I know this would't necessarily help with crowd noise, and the viewing experience would still be different but it has to be better the alternative of zero fans.

Just a thought...
Reply/Quote
I am not sure that some fans may be allowed in with social distancing. Heck, our defense is experienced at social distancing.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
just get a few hundred of these

Reply/Quote
They could make the games accessible through an xbox and the fans at home could create the game noise with their controllers.

They would have options to cheer, boo, or whatever.

Then that noise would be piped into the stadium to help the home team.

Xbox owners would have to buy a "ticket" to get access to the game.  This would help generate revenue to replace the loss of game ticket sales.  It would be a fraction of an actual ticket price but it would come with some special access cameras or something to make it worth it.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They could make the games accessible through an xbox and the fans at home could create the game noise with their controllers.

They would have options to cheer, boo, or whatever.

Then that noise would be piped into the stadium to help the home team.

Xbox owners would have to buy a "ticket" to get access to the game.  This would help generate revenue to replace the loss of game ticket sales.  It would be a fraction of an actual ticket price but it would come with some special access cameras or something to make it worth it.

Don't underestimate the ability of people trolling.  When you combine a game console with an internet connected, anonymous group, things may get weird.

You'd have people booing their own completions for attempted irony, some weird meme that would turn into some weird response, or some psycho hacking the cheers and changing them to an orgasm sound or something.

Trust me, the internet would find a way to make this a disaster.
Reply/Quote
IF THERE ARE NO FANS THEN HOW DO WE KNOW THE GAMES ARE REAL AND NOT JUST CGI ANIMATION!?!
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 12:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So I kinda had a wild thought.  What if the NFL had a raffle for each weeks game to send a small group (Less than 50) of fans from both  teams to the game?  Those fans could sit spaced apart, and each team would have thier fans on opposite sides of the stadium.

I think it would be kind of a neat idea.  From what I understand there's going to be well over 200 people there anyways, between the team and league personnel.  So I can't imagine adding a very small amount of fans as adding to the risk.

Heck, each team could somehow select their fans they want to represent the team each week.  Be it a raffle, a voting system for everyone to vote on, or they could have fans send in submissions and the team could select weekly winners.  

I think you could get a real colorful mix of people together, and it would probably be pretty entertaining.  Plus you could reward your fans and keep them engaged from week to week, hoping they get selected.

I know this would't necessarily help with crowd noise, and the viewing experience would still be different but it has to be better the alternative of zero fans.

Just a thought...

50 people in a stadium designed for 60K? There will be way more than 50 fans in the stands. They will probably sell tickets in groups of 4 for families, spaced out in the rows. 
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 02:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: 50 people in a stadium designed for 60K? There will be way more than 50 fans in the stands. They will probably sell tickets in groups of 4 for families, spaced out in the rows. 

What? Did you read the thread? 
Reply/Quote
I vote for playing the national anthem before players hit the field and then have every single player with a majority mic and jump around listening to the players. Of course, that probably would be rated pg13 at least.
Reply/Quote
Really hope baseball gets an agreement and we can see how things pan out there. NFL needs someone to go first so they can see impacts on fans and weigh options. Baseball would be good indicator for fan impact because they will play many games, won't be such a good test for player impact though as they stay distanced for the most part. NBA will be better to see the player impact since they're so close and bumping into each other, etc. Not trying to get political at all but there are a ton of gatherings that happened/happening so outcomes and impacts of those events will also feed some data into what's happening in large groups.

If there are no fans and they have games, I'll still watch regardless of what the setup looks like. I'd much rather go to some Bengals game but if it's between no fans and no football at all I'll take no fans any day.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote