Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PBS No Fans in Stadium Experience
(06-19-2020, 06:17 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Really hope baseball gets an agreement and we can see how things pan out there. NFL needs someone to go first so they can see impacts on fans and weigh options. Baseball would be good indicator for fan impact because they will play many games, won't be such a good test for player impact though as they stay distanced for the most part. NBA will be better to see the player impact since they're so close and bumping into each other, etc. Not trying to get political at all but there are a ton of gatherings that happened/happening so outcomes and impacts of those events will also feed some data into what's happening in large groups.

If there are no fans and they have games, I'll still watch regardless of what the setup looks like. I'd much rather go to some Bengals game but if it's between no fans and no football at all I'll take no fans any day.

No fans hasn't had much impact on the TV product over here.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 04:51 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I vote for playing the national anthem before players hit the field and then have every single player with a majority mic and jump around listening to the players. Of course, that probably would be rated pg13 at least.

Playing the national anthem in an empty stadium before the players come out to the field?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 07:47 PM)jason Wrote: Playing the national anthem in an empty stadium before the players come out to the field?

Yeah, you know, for the cheerleaders and shit.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
NASCAR is contemplating doing away with the pre race prayer and playing of the National Anthem. While that will most likely be the nail in the coffin for NASCAR, the NFL should probably follow suit if they want to keep fans.
Reply/Quote
I went to my first game last season cause my Niece bought me tickets for my birthday. I prefer to watch at home but I had to go. Don't like paying $10 for a luke warm can of beer I can get at home for .65 cents Not to mention $5 stale hot dogs. Anyway,

It was the Jets game last year and the stadium was less than half full. Granted , due to their 0-12 record and basically hoping for the #1 Pick I did not get out of my seat much. I didn't care. Was happy to see them win, but I did not enjoy the experience at all. We had to walk like 2 miles for a parking space, and there was absolutely nothing special about PBS. I was very disappointed.

I would love to go again with the stands full and something on the line but I would NEVER pay $100 a seat like my family did. No way. Probably more like $125 a seat and that was on sale. Absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Not to mention the 5 hours in the car to and from the city.

Give me Bdubs and a widescreen anyday
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 06:17 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Really hope baseball gets an agreement and we can see how things pan out there. NFL needs someone to go first so they can see impacts on fans and weigh options. Baseball would be good indicator for fan impact because they will play many games, won't be such a good test for player impact though as they stay distanced for the most part. NBA will be better to see the player impact since they're so close and bumping into each other, etc. Not trying to get political at all but there are a ton of gatherings that happened/happening so outcomes and impacts of those events will also feed some data into what's happening in large groups.

If there are no fans and they have games, I'll still watch regardless of what the setup looks like. I'd much rather go to some Bengals game but if it's between no fans and no football at all I'll take no fans any day.

Doubt it is going to happen.  Training camps are shutting down due to Covid outbreaks, and it was reported that there are at least 8 MLB owners who don't want any season.  Meanwhile, Florida and Arizona, the two locations proposed to host all of the games, are struggling with outbreaks.  I can't see how the two sides are going to be able to come together on an agreement with all of that happening around them.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 01:11 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Doubt it is going to happen.  Training camps are shutting down due to Covid outbreaks, and it was reported that there are at least 8 MLB owners who don't want any season.  Meanwhile, Florida and Arizona, the two locations proposed to host all of the games, are struggling with outbreaks.  I can't see how the two sides are going to be able to come together on an agreement with all of that happening around them.

Agreed. I realize that a certain subset of fans believe that COVID-19 is a joke and that the whole thing is overblown. 
I get that.

But what if it isn't? Are you willing to risk the health of hundreds of people ... players, coaches, staff, concession workers, ushers, etc. ... just so that YOU can watch football this fall?

What if one of our starters caught it, was permanently impaired and this season ended his career? Are YOU willing to risk Mixon's career? Burrow's? Jonah's? Your response will likely be "They are always at risk when they play or practice." True ... but at risk from injury, not some preventable virus. Are players LIKELY to get a career ending illness? No ... but WHAT IF THEY DID? 

The only way to make sure that EVERYBODY is safe is to quarantine players, coaches and staff for the season. Ensure that all travel and lodging is safe ... airplanes, flight crew, buses, drivers, hotels, etc.

It is either this or cancel the season.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They could make the games accessible through an xbox and the fans at home could create the game noise with their controllers.

They would have options to cheer, boo, or whatever.

Then that noise would be piped into the stadium to help the home team.

Xbox owners would have to buy a "ticket" to get access to the game.  This would help generate revenue to replace the loss of game ticket sales.  It would be a fraction of an actual ticket price but it would come with some special access cameras or something to make it worth it.

I would pay for it and use my son's xbox, only if one one the options was to curse at the refs.  
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 11:11 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Agreed. I realize that a certain subset of fans believe that COVID-19 is a joke and that the whole thing is overblown. 
I get that.

But what if it isn't? Are you willing to risk the health of hundreds of people ... players, coaches, staff, concession workers, ushers, etc. ... just so that YOU can watch football this fall?

What if one of our starters caught it, was permanently impaired and this season ended his career? Are YOU willing to risk Mixon's career? Burrow's? Jonah's? Your response will likely be "They are always at risk when they play or practice." True ... but at risk from injury, not some preventable virus. Are players LIKELY to get a career ending illness? No ... but WHAT IF THEY DID? 

The only way to make sure that EVERYBODY is safe is to quarantine players, coaches and staff for the season. Ensure that all travel and lodging is safe ... airplanes, flight crew, buses, drivers, hotels, etc.

It is either this or cancel the season.

Move the season to Australia.....
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 10:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: NASCAR is contemplating doing away with the pre race prayer and playing of the National Anthem. While that will most likely be the nail in the coffin for NASCAR, the NFL should probably follow suit if they want to keep fans.

If prayers and the anthem are that important to people that NASCAR and the NFL completely collapse by removing them, the free market will ensure that a new racing league and football league that give fans what they want will replace them.

That's what is great about capitalism, once one conglomerate refuses to provide consumers what they really want (prayers and the anthem, in this case) any other American can start a business that will.  
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 10:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: NASCAR is contemplating doing away with the pre race prayer and playing of the National Anthem. While that will most likely be the nail in the coffin for NASCAR, the NFL should probably follow suit if they want to keep fans.

Dont like the idea of doin away with prayer andb anthem at nascar events. aint no reason to get of them. if folks dont wanna take part so be it but the folks that want to should still have the choose to.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 01:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If prayers and the anthem are that important to people that NASCAR and the NFL completely collapse by removing them, the free market will ensure that a new racing league and football league that give fans what they want will replace them.

That's what is great about capitalism, once one conglomerate refuses to provide consumers what they really want (prayers and the anthem, in this case) any other American can start a business that will.  

the folks who want things like prayer and the anthem should hace the choose at events. folks who dont want them just dont partcipte. seems fair to me but we aint caring bout fait no more. we always gotta screw over one group to make another group happy. instead of findin some middle where we can all have the choose to to what makes us all comfortible.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 03:22 PM)Bruce Wrote: the folks who want things like prayer and the anthem should hace the choose at events. folks who dont want them just dont partcipte. seems fair to me but we aint caring bout fait no more. we always gotta screw over one group to make another group happy. instead of findin some middle where we can all have the choose to to what makes us all comfortible.

NASCAR and NFL are private businesses.  They can pretty much do whatever they want regarding prayer short of punishing players based on religious beliefs.

The examples you see of the league punishing players for religious messages has nothing to do with the religious part of the message.  There are just rules about any sort of messages.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: NASCAR and NFL are private businesses.  They can pretty much do whatever they want regarding prayer short of punishing players based on religious beliefs.

The examples you see of the league punishing players for religious messages has nothing to do with the religious part of the message.  There are just rules about any sort of messages.

i know that. all im geting at it like say the anthem, why not just keep it. if floks wanna be part of it when its played they can, and if folks dont want to they dont have to. im just saying i think its good to let folks have that choose instead of just doin away with it. 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 01:11 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Doubt it is going to happen.  Training camps are shutting down due to Covid outbreaks, and it was reported that there are at least 8 MLB owners who don't want any season.  Meanwhile, Florida and Arizona, the two locations proposed to host all of the games, are struggling with outbreaks.  I can't see how the two sides are going to be able to come together on an agreement with all of that happening around them.

I hear ya, I'm just holding out hope but definitely not holding my breath. 
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 07:47 PM)jason Wrote: Playing the national anthem in an empty stadium before the players come out to the field?

You don’t think the fans watching on tv want to hear the National Anthem before the games? I tell you what a ton of people don’t want to see... a political statement before each game...
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 12:51 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: I went to my first game last season cause my Niece bought me tickets for my birthday.  I prefer to watch at home but I had to go.  Don't like paying $10 for a luke warm can of beer I can get at home for .65 cents  Not to mention $5 stale hot dogs.  Anyway,

It was the Jets game last year and the stadium was less than half full.  Granted , due to their 0-12 record and basically hoping for the #1 Pick I did not get out of my seat much.  I didn't care.  Was happy to see them win, but I did not enjoy the experience at all.  We had to walk like 2 miles for a parking space, and there was absolutely nothing special about PBS.  I was very disappointed.  

I would love to go again with the stands full and something on the line but I would NEVER pay $100 a seat like my family did.  No way.  Probably more like $125 a seat and that was on sale.  Absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Not to mention the 5 hours in the car to and from the city.  

Give me Bdubs and a widescreen anyday

I understand where you're coming from on watching TV experience being better than an at-game experience from a game view and cost of food/beverage. For me going to games is all about being with friends/family and having the "we're part of this" experience. I just love the feeling of tailgating, grilling food, coming in and watching the guys warm up, waiting for the introductions, cheering and having players hear fans get into it, booing the refs on bad calls, freezing in the later season games but knowing everyone else is toughing it out too, high-fiving my friends and neighbors, singing the Bengals Growl song after TDs, etc. There's just this (and I don't know how best to put it in words) feeling you get of "being part of something" when you're there in person. For me it's addicting. I look forward to going to games all year.

Now all that said PBS could use some serious upgrades. I saw two away games in 2018 and both stadiums and game-day experiences were much better than PBS. I saw the Indy opener (never forget watching Fej get the strip fumble recovery for a TD to seal the game!) and they had a full blown "street party" right in front of the stadium, I saw a small parade go by, and then when you went inside Lucas Oil stadium they had a live band playing, I was blown away. Also things were a lot more modern looking, seemed like more food options, etc. Further the stands are MUCH closer to the field than at PBS. We had to get tickets on Stubhub and splurged for best available tickets and were front row near the Bengals bench. Carlos Dunlap came over and was using the rail of the front row to stretch right in front of us, that would never happen at PBS because of distance. Hell the players could have heard us fart the fans are so close. I realize not everyone can sit as close as we did but my point is the whole stadium is a more intimate experience. The second away game I saw was the KC game that was flexed to Sunday night. Now the actual game was awful blowout but the game day experience was awesome. The tailgate scene there was unreal I don't know what time they start but man the whole damn city comes to the games, like it just empties, if you're not at the game you're in the minority it seems. There's like a giant cloud of BBQ smoke 2 miles around the whole stadium, you can see an smell it from the highway.  Everyone was super cool in the parking lot too, we walked around and drank beer with Chiefs and Bengals fans for a few hours before the game. Once inside Arrowhead it was amazing too, it's super old but there's a ton of history and food options seems better too.The main thing I remember was the stat boards showing a lot more things than the very few the Bengals have at PBS. They had a stat board sohwing how many first downs they had achieved for the game, it was in the 30's unfortunately. The reason I know it was in teh 30's is the Cheifs have a tradition of every fist down doing a big chant that the whole crowed gets into. In fact they stand for every Defense play too, not just on third down. The Bengals need more in-game ttraditions and more stat boards like that at PBS and I think people would enjoy the experience more. More interaction with the fans is I guess what I'm saying.

One more thing, if you decide to go to another Bengals game come to Parking Lot 1 for tailgate, there are signs everywhere and its on corner of Pt Rose and Central right across the stadium. The Bengals Bomb Squad is there and have a huge bus, speakers for music, they have a microphone and do a bunch of fun stuff. I only some of them on first name from seeing them at all the tailgates but they are friendly to everyone who wants to stop by in my experience. There's often folks from the away team partying with them. (P.S. It's sometimes hard to find parking passes from Parking Lot 1 and other official parking lots as they're sold to season ticket holders so you'll have to walk from where you park but it's worth it)
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 07:19 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You don’t think the fans watching on tv want to hear the National Anthem before the games? I tell you what a ton of people don’t want to see... a political statement before each game...

They don't play the national anthem on TV for regular season games. It's generally for the paying customers in attendance. Now during the playoffs or Super Bowl when they have national recording acts perform it they televise it. The only time they've televised the anthem during a regular season game was two days after the president's Son of a ***** remarks at a rally.... Because they knew he stirred it up again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 03:22 PM)Bruce Wrote: the folks who want things like prayer and the anthem should hace the choose at events. folks who dont want them just dont partcipte. seems fair to me but we aint caring bout fait no more. we always gotta screw over one group to make another group happy. instead of findin some middle where we can all have the choose to to what makes us all comfortible.

Right, I don't mind praying...well, unless they're gonna make us pray to any of the thousands of gods I don't believe in.  People can do THAT kind of praying at home!
Reply/Quote
Pretty obvious..
[Image: s-l500.png]
and for you fans who don't want women fans..
[Image: s-l500.jpg]

Now now..control your horniness folks. I don't wanna have to start passing out the salt peter..
kind of tough to believe people actually bought these things to get their rocks off, huh? I've never been that hard up..figuratively or literally..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote