Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PENEI SEWELL IF THERE
(01-30-2021, 11:11 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: While I agree with your sentiment that we don't need him if we cover it in free agency, I would like to throw an answer to the specific scenario you have illustrated:  take Sewell because we signed a RT, not a LT.  I am not convinced that Williams is the answer at LT.  In other words, my opinion is to sign a RT and take Sewell IF he is available.  Williams can be groomed to play the right side and become tackle off the bench.  Sign a proven RT AND LT in FA, then it should be all about WR or the TE from Florida.

They're not gonna have Williams coming off the bench though. If they get Moton and sign Sewell, i could see them moving Jonah to guard. 

But i don't see them getting two top tackles this offseason.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2021, 12:04 PM)kevin Wrote: There is no other pick if he is there.  You add the big Samoan to Bengals weak O Line.  Look up Joe Burrow News and you will read Bengals get it now. They know they have to protect Burrow more on his injury comeback. They need to block for Mixon more on his injury comeback also.  Why are Burrow and Mixon so injured, again the weak O Line.

Now if Sewell is not there, they could go for Slater who is only 6'3" and that in NFL is Guard Size. Bengals may not want a Guard Size in Round 1. Bengals do not value top guards as other teams like Steelers do. Mike Brown has never respected Guards.

CBS Mock Drafts have Sewell on the board going to The Bengals at Pick 5.  That is what Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon and Bengals Fans should HOPE for.  The true Top Pick Tackle size is 6'6" Outland Trophy Winner PENEI SEWELL.  If the Big Samoan is there, you take him, forget everybody else on the board.

How can you make that statement when FA has not started. Look closely at FA, not only us but other teams who draft before us in round 1, then you will get a better handle of their needs (4 teams ahead of us unless we trade up) and also our needs. If we don't do a lot in FA, then plan may be to trade down to get more picks. 

It appears from all I have read, this is a strong OT group, so not just one OT who can plug and play as a rookie. So, I disagree, lots of great choices with our 1st pick regardless of what we do in FA and Sewell is not the only player who helps us get a lot better in 2021. For the record, if we don't trade back, I hope we get him, but lots of players I think will be available with 5th pick, more so if any type of QB run occurs before us.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 12:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're still ignoring my question. 

If they sign Taylor Moton and Joe Thuney, why would they pick MORE oline early in the draft?

At one point I was not down for any scenario where we leave Sewell on the board no matter what they do in FA, but if they even sign just Moton, and Chase is on the board when we pick, then I think Joe’s getting his boy.

We would be set at OT, have one of the best WR groups in the league, and a good RB. We’d basically be a couple IOL players away from having an absolutely dominant offense.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Unless you’re talking solely about durability concerns I don’t understand how anyone is not sold on Jonah.

I remember hearing someone say if you surround your good players with bad players you will get your good players hurt.

Jonah had Michael Jordan at guard on his side right?
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: At one point I was not down for any scenario where we leave Sewell on the board no matter what they do in FA, but if they even sign just Moton, and Chase is on the board when we pick, then I think Joe’s getting his boy.

We would be set at OT, have one of the best WR groups in the league, and a good RB. We’d basically be a couple IOL players away from having an absolutely dominant offense.

Yup. And i get it. It's hard to break away from the thought of picking Sewell. I'm going through, like, withdrawals thinking about it.  Tongue

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 12:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. And i get it. It's hard to break away from the thought of picking Sewell. I'm going through, like, withdrawals thinking about it.  Tongue

Get some studs in FA and lets go get Chase.  #1 option right thurr.

#2 option Sewell and pray the rest of the draft pans out.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow becomes GREG COOK if O Line not upgraded, and Sewell is fastest way to upgrade O Line.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:49 AM)kevin Wrote: Joe Burrow becomes GREG COOK if O Line not upgraded, and Sewell is fastest way to upgrade O Line.

Actually he’s not. Bringing in proven offensive linemen in FA is the fastest way to protect Burrow. I want Sewell as much as anyone, but the kid is 20 years old and hasn’t played football since 2019. Now could he come in and be a stud day one? Sure. We’ve seen guys like Whirfs and Becton do it recently, but it shouldn’t be counted on. That’s why you’re seeing a couple pundits say some of the other top OT prospects might be more NFL ready at the moment, but Sewell has the highest upside long term.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 10:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually he’s not. Bringing in proven offensive linemen in FA is the fastest way to protect Burrow. I want Sewell as much as anyone, but the kid is 20 years old and hasn’t played football since 2019. Now could he come in and be a stud day one? Sure. We’ve seen guys like Whirfs and Becton do it recently, but it shouldn’t be counted on. That’s why you’re seeing a couple pundits say some of the other top OT prospects might be more NFL ready at the moment, but Sewell has the highest upside long term.

Absolutely.

At one point in time, taking a tackle at the top of the draft meant getting an anchor for 10+ years if the player stayed healthy and was willing to sign a second contract with your organization.  In recent years, that has not been the case.  There was an article I read recently that went back and evaluated the offensive linemen taken at the top of the draft going back to Jake Long, which I think was 2007 or 2008.  The track record since then hasn't been impressive.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:49 AM)kevin Wrote: Joe Burrow becomes GREG COOK if O Line not upgraded, and Sewell is fastest way to upgrade O Line.

This isn’t true, and you should know that Kevin.

Maybe for the long term it might be true if Sewell becomes an all-pro and stays in the organization. Rookies are not proven nfl players, they still need developing, and in the instance if Sewell being 20, will need more time regardless of how good he is now.

FA is the real answer for improvement RIGHT NOW. I am not implying getting a RT or OG that no one has heard of or is past his prime, but a Darryl Williams or Taylor Moton, a proven RT in the nfl with good years ahead of him. That’s how you improve the line right away and for the next few years.
Reply/Quote
So now we are debating can Sewell help us now and some debating have put him in Munoz category and others said take BPA with 5th pick..well then slam dunk yes he can help us now, there are always players even high picks in other positions that take time but the lack of depth in line even if we get 2 in FA our line is very thin and those FAs might be on a 2/3 year rental so you CAN NOT pass on Sewell .
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So now we are debating can Sewell help us now and some debating have put him in Munoz category  and others said take BPA with 5th pick..well then slam dunk yes he can help us now, there are always players even high picks in other positions that take time but the lack of depth in line even if we get 2 in FA our line is very thin and those FAs might be on a 2/3 year rental so you CAN NOT pass on Sewell .

If you believe he is the next Munoz, then for you no debate. Sounds like you are in the he can't miss camp and may be next Munoz.

Sewell is my pick if available as of now too, but as of now with no FA signings, have no idea how OL looks prior to the draft yet.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you believe he is the next Munoz, the for you no debate. Sounds like you are in the he can't miss camp and may be next Munoz.

Sewell is my pick if available as of now too, but as of now with no FA signings, have no idea how OL looks prior to the draft yet.

Winner. I’m in the Sewell camp too if they don’t do anything for the ol in free agency. I get the sense they will though. Will it be enough is the question.

It also seems they might be willing to trade back slightly but they seem to want to stay in the top 10 for an impact player. If that’s true I think they’re looking at wr/te.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you believe he is the next Munoz, the for you no debate. Sounds like you are in the he can't miss camp and may be next Munoz.

Ive not said he is next "Munoz" but some have mentioned that which was my point, i just think it is a bit odd for people have so much discussion that it is Sewell at #5 if there, we are actually debating it plus I don;t buy the idea that a tackle that is considered elite out of college is not going to be an asset day 1 over a starter we might have.. it might take him a couple years to become elite but i  will take extremely good everyday as a 1st year player especially when there seems little debate that another tackle is in the same level of Sewell.
Reply/Quote
This isn't rocket surgery. It's real simple.

If you get a guard in FA but no tackle and Sewell is there, take him.
If you get a tackle in FA but no guard, then there's a question.
If you get a tackle and a guard in FA, you can pass on him and go skill position.

Reply/Quote
So what are we gonna do about center? If Hopkins really is out next year with a torn acl I don’t want to leave it to price as he has been incredibly underwhelming.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:18 PM)tBengal Wrote: So what are we gonna do about center? If Hopkins really is out next year with a torn acl I don’t want to leave it to price as he has been incredibly underwhelming.

Do some work on Landon Dickerson and maybe draft him in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 02:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This isn't rocket surgery. It's real simple.

If you get a guard in FA but no tackle and Sewell is there, take him.
If you get a tackle in FA but no guard, then there's a question.
If you get a tackle and a guard in FA, you can pass on him and go skill position.

Actually it is more simple you draft a player considered more transitional at their position than Burrow when we drafted him regardless of the rental Oline FAs you sign in and that is draft Sewell if available. 
Reply/Quote
If Sewell is there or not they should trade back. But there is a legit conversation to be had for Sewell or slater.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 08:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually it is more simple you draft a player considered more transitional at their position than Burrow when we drafted him regardless of the rental Oline FAs you sign in and that is draft Sewell if available. 

[Image: Wat8.jpg?1315930535]

Reply/Quote