Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF - 3-Cone most important drill at Combine
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-how-does-combine-athleticism-translate-to-on-field-production/?utm_content=bufferb95f0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=college

Quote:The 3-cone drill is the real MVP of the NFL combine. A slow 3-cone is the kiss of death for almost every position besides offensive line in the NFL. Why, you ask? Because the ability to turn and accelerate quickly and efficiently is one of the key tenets of football.

This isn't surprising, as it's about acceleration. So make note of some players with poor 3-cone, shuttle, and 10-yard split times. They may possess good straight-line speed, but if they aren't shifty and quick, they likely could struggle making an impact in the NFL.

It should be noted that Dalvin Cook had a 7.27 3-cone and 4.53 shuttle. That's below average. Not what I expected from Cook.
Jeremy Hill didn't run these drills at the Combine but did run them at his pro day, posting a 7.64 3-cone and a 4.59 shuttle. We all know how shifty he's been...

Especially for a RB, it's good to look for someone who runs a sub-7.00 3-cone sub-4.50 shuttle...unless you want a straight-line hammer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-how-does-combine-athleticism-translate-to-on-field-production/?utm_content=bufferb95f0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=college

This isn't surprising, as it's about acceleration. So make note of some players with poor 3-cone, shuttle, and 10-yard split times. They may possess good straight-line speed, but if they aren't shifty and quick, they likely could struggle making an impact in the NFL.

It should be noted that Dalvin Cook had a 7.27 3-cone and 4.53 shuttle. That's below average. Not what I expected from Cook.
Jeremy Hill didn't run these drills at the Combine but did run them at his pro day, posting a 7.64 3-cone and a 4.59 shuttle. We all know how shifty he's been...

Especially for a RB, it's good to look for someone who runs a sub-7.00 3-cone sub-4.50 shuttle...unless you want a straight-line hammer.
mccafrey was way under both with a 6.57 3 cone and a 4.22 shuttle. If hes there at 41, that has to be a very very interesting decision. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:24 AM)Jpoore Wrote: mccafrey was way under both with a 6.57 3 cone and a 4.22 shuttle. If hes there at 41, that has to be a very very interesting decision. 

Yea McCaffrey had a great combine. He's lighter than I think the Bengals are looking for, but you can't ignore his explosiveness.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea McCaffrey had a great combine. He's lighter than I think the Bengals are looking for, but you can't ignore his explosiveness.

He's also quick and smooth too and catches like a WR.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Dalvin Cook did some damage to his stock.

Fumble, arrest, and injury issues to begin with. Now add on athleticism concerns.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 02:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Dalvin Cook did some damage to his stock.

Fumble, arrest, and injury issues to begin with. Now add on athleticism concerns.

Watch him play and tell me if he has athleticism issues.

It might be the most important timed drill, but I think watching during the position drills is most important. There you can see them making football moves and adjusting to passes and reacting to coaches/rabbits. A lot of guys can train for a timed drill to the point where they don't have to think, I want to see how quickly they react when they do have to think.
Reply/Quote
The combine really won't have too much effect on where a guy gets drafted for the most part. It still goes back to the tape.

If a guy runs a lot faster or slower than expected, the front office will go back and look at the tape and see what the real story is. The media may think a guy's stock is shooting up or down, but the reality is that most teams haven't even set their board yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 01:00 PM)McC Wrote: He's also quick and smooth too and catches like a WR.

And he's not a toolbag...
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 10:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Watch him play and tell me if he has athleticism issues.

It might be the most important timed drill, but I think watching during the position drills is most important. There you can see them making football moves and adjusting to passes and reacting to coaches/rabbits. A lot of guys can train for a timed drill to the point where they don't have to think, I want to see how quickly they react when they do have to think.

This
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:24 AM)Jpoore Wrote: mccafrey was way under both with a 6.57 3 cone and a 4.22 shuttle. If hes there at 41, that has to be a very very interesting decision. 

(03-05-2017, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea McCaffrey had a great combine. He's lighter than I think the Bengals are looking for, but you can't ignore his explosiveness.

(03-05-2017, 01:00 PM)McC Wrote: He's also quick and smooth too and catches like a WR.

McCaffrey in the 2nd? Hell yeah..

Reddick, McCaffrey, Toth, Reynolds with the first 4 picks. 
Reply/Quote
Here's a look at notable players with that drill this year.

McCaffery had the best among all RBs. Posting 6.57.
As you mentioned, Cook struggled with that with a 7.27.

Two guys the Bengals may like at WR are Kupp and Zay Jones.
While Kupp had a subpar 40 time, he posted a 6.75 3 cone time. Ranking him 9th among WRs
Jones had a 6.79 time. Ranking him 13th among WRs.

Solomon Thomas and Derek Barnett actually both did great here.
Thomas with a 6.95, and Barnett with a 6.96. Ranking them 4th and 5th among defensive lineman.
Riddick has a 7.01, 7th among defensive lineman.
Taco posted a 7.17. 13th among defensive lineman.

TJ Watt posted a 6.79. 1st among linebackers.
Zach Cunningham posted a 7.03. 10th among linebackers.
McMillan posted a 7.15, ranking him 12th among linebackers.

Now, once looking at everyone playing, they all have different talents. And Cook being so low is very surprising and concerning.

Cook ranked 135th among ALL players in the Combine at this drill. Only 2 RBs posted lower times than him.

It makes you have to look back at his tape in all honesty. It's very concerning
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
^ That is why i mentioned Cook. Not sure what all goes in to calculating a SPARQ score but i know height weight speed and the jumps are in the equation. And i read a comment saying a RB with a SPARQ score as low as he came out of the combine with has not gone first round in a long time.

These guys are data junkies. And they dont record these results just for the hell of it. It is only a piece of the puzzle. But still it is a piece.
Reply/Quote