Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Article on How Joe Burrow's Contract Extension Could Play Out
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-latest-joe-burrow-upcoming-extension-cincinnati-bengals

I think the article brings up some interesting points about Burrow's contract and the Bengals' history as it pertains to negotiating with star players/quarterbacks, and also how they have changed their rigid stance on those negotiations as time has gone on.

Just thought it was an interesting read as it pertains to Bengals contract negotiation history. I think that the sticking point will almost surely be the guaranteed money, but at the same time the Bengals realize that this is something they have to break all their prior precedents to get done. The question then, of course, is what impact that has on the team as a whole and the other players who need paid also.

What I also found interesting was that if the Bengals break their precedent as to paying out guaranteed money to Burrow, does that open the door for the same thing to happen for our other impact players?
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
I'm not even sure why they'd negotiate anything now. If any other player got injured three times, they'd be cut. It's time to tell Joe that he better come back soon enough to put up good numbers and ask him which teams he would most like to be traded to. There's way too much risk to expect him to play a significant number of games for any long-term deal.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 06:09 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote: I'm not even sure why they'd negotiate anything now. If any other player got injured three times, they'd be cut. It's time to tell Joe that he better come back soon enough to put up good numbers and ask him which teams he would most like to be traded to. There's way too much risk to expect him to play a significant number of games for any long-term deal.

You forgot the sarcasm emoji. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
What sarcasm? These other quarterbacks that are getting the huge contracts have been missing training camp or were out for a season. Football players can only take so many hits. If you know that the Burrow extension is going to be like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Ki-Jana Carter's contract before it even gets signed, why bother making it?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 06:21 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote: What sarcasm? These other quarterbacks that are getting the huge contracts have been missing training camp or were out for a season. Football players can only take so many hits. If you know that the Burrow extension is going to be like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Ki-Jana Carter's contract before it even gets signed, why bother making it?

So is the alternative to just let him walk then? The guy that has the potential to be the best Bengals QB ever and continue to lead this team to success that it’s rarely ever known before?

In my opinion, injuries or not, this is money you simply have to pay, no question.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Well that’s an interesting take.
Reply/Quote
I don’t understand how people have the energy to create and maintain accounts for trolling.

On topic, article is a good read. I’m also in the boat of believing the bengals aren’t nearly as stubborn with contracts as they used to be, so I don’t think history factors in much anymore
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 07:09 PM)basballguy Wrote: I don’t understand how people have the energy to create and maintain accounts for trolling.

On topic, article is a good read.  I’m also in the boat of believing the bengals aren’t nearly as stubborn with contracts as they used to be, so I don’t think history factors in much anymore

They have nothing better to do. Which is sad for everyone involved.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 06:09 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote: I'm not even sure why they'd negotiate anything now. If any other player got injured three times, they'd be cut. It's time to tell Joe that he better come back soon enough to put up good numbers and ask him which teams he would most like to be traded to. There's way too much risk to expect him to play a significant number of games for any long-term deal.

(08-02-2023, 06:21 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote: What sarcasm? These other quarterbacks that are getting the huge contracts have been missing training camp or were out for a season. Football players can only take so many hits. If you know that the Burrow extension is going to be like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Ki-Jana Carter's contract before it even gets signed, why bother making it?

Troll posts here for sure. Of course you extend Burrow right now before he really takes the NFL by storm. Tee too if we are adamant 
about it. Both are about to blow up this season especially if this OL improves as much as it should. As Burrow said, as long as he is 
here the SB window is open. Keep the window open for as long as possible and the latest injury news is good news, so I really don't
understand the KGJr and Kijana Carter comparisons. Especially the Carter comparison, that is just stupid.

To the OP, nice read and reps. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 05:13 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-latest-joe-burrow-upcoming-extension-cincinnati-bengals

I think the article brings up some interesting points about Burrow's contract and the Bengals' history as it pertains to negotiating with star players/quarterbacks, and also how they have changed their rigid stance on those negotiations as time has gone on.

Just thought it was an interesting read as it pertains to Bengals contract negotiation history. I think that the sticking point will almost surely be the guaranteed money, but at the same time the Bengals realize that this is something they have to break all their prior precedents to get done. The question then, of course, is what impact that has on the team as a whole and the other players who need paid also.

What I also found interesting was that if the Bengals break their precedent as to paying out guaranteed money to Burrow, does that open the door for the same thing to happen for our other impact players?

Great thread.
Joey B. is a true franchise QB. He had an emergency appendectomy last year. I would not call that an injury. All reports are Joey is an extremely hard worker. He is loved by his coaches and his teammates.

As for Bengals FO and contracts, there has been a shift the last few years on how the Bengals operate. I don't recall the Bengal never forcing a player into a huge pay cut. They have always paid players well on 2d contracts, don't recall them adding a year on a contract like they did with Trey recently.

I love this Bengals organization and the roster. I hope and pray they are rewarded with a Lombardi in the near future, in my humble opinion they are doing all the right things.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Who is your weed plug?
Reply/Quote

It has to be sarcasm. I know you're not serious because only the dumbest ************ to walk this earth would say something like you just did and be serious. I know that can't be you because only the most idiotic, mouth-breathing cretin would say something that absolutely stupidly assinine and not have it be a 'gotcha moment'.

I don't believe you're that lacking in intelligence so i know you must have been sarcastic or joking because it's hard for me to imagine any upright-walking ***** sapien forming such a ridiculous, short sighted, ignorant, backwards assed, stupid, jello-brained thought and presenting it to other humans as an honest topic for consideration. 

But, no, you're not like that. So you must have been being silly. That's why i pointed out that you forgot the sarcasm emoji.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

If you think the Bengals have been ridiculed in the past if you think a stance like this would set us back 40 years you’d be right.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 08:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It has to be sarcasm. I know you're not serious because only the dumbest ************ to walk this earth would say something like you just did and be serious. I know that can't be you because only the most idiotic, mouth-breathing cretin would say something that absolutely stupidly assinine and not have it be a 'gotcha moment'.

I don't believe you're that lacking in intelligence so i know you must have been sarcastic or joking because it's hard for me to imagine any upright-walking ***** sapien forming such a ridiculous, short sighted, ignorant, backwards assed, stupid, jello-brained thought and presenting it to other humans as an honest topic for consideration. 

But, no, you're not like that. So you must have been being silly. That's why i pointed out that you forgot the sarcasm emoji.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote

I respect the art of trolling very much, but you have some work to do. Try not to be so obvious, and you’ll hook more people. Trust me, it’s worth it. 
Reply/Quote

If you people in KC could learn to read, you could have your own Chief's message board and wouldn't have to come trolling  here.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 06:30 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: So is the alternative to just let him walk then? The guy that has the potential to be the best Bengals QB ever and continue to lead this team to success that it’s rarely ever known before?

In my opinion, injuries or not, this is money you simply have to pay, no question.

There is a valid argument that he already is.  Most playoff wins of any QB in franchise history.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 05:13 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: What I also found interesting was that if the Bengals break their precedent as to paying out guaranteed money to Burrow, does that open the door for the same thing to happen for our other impact players?

The answer is clearly no from a Bengals FO perspective, because the QB market is different.

Knowing our FO i don't see how this is even a question really.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 12:21 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Hilarious

Yeah, Rfaulk was just trying to help the poor sad sack out LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 12:41 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I respect the art of trolling very much, but you have some work to do. Try not to be so obvious, and you’ll hook more people. Trust me, it’s worth it. 

OK Fred. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote