Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PFF Blocking Grades - Week 2
Collins was sticking out as Very Bad.... Had higher hopes.. maybe back still an issue?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Collins was sticking out as Very Bad.... Had higher hopes.. maybe back still an issue?

His worst play of the day actually had nothing to do with his back. He blocked the wrong guy and let Parsons fly into the backfield untouched. Of all ***** players to not account for. That shouldn’t happen when you have 2 vets on that right side.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm glad the #'s are relatively decent overall. Maybe the problem isn't as bad as we think. At the same time, I don't know if I trust the #'s. Such an obscure ratings system, esp for offensive linemen.

I'd prefer to see player scores from quarter to quarter. We know the first was a faceplant, for example. If their scores are good, then there must be something lost in translation.
Reply/Quote
Generally teams don't release really good lineman.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right this actually makes me feel a bit better that Volson may only be a liability against elite interiors. In terms of Collins he also has had a run of elite rushers, but he still is not great (some of it seems to be communication for him still). My actual biggest concern right now is Jonah, he hasn't been good against anyone and that is scary.

I said this last year, I'll say it again, Williams probably will not get 2nd contract unless it is on the cheap.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 06:30 PM)tms Wrote: I'm glad the #'s are relatively decent overall. Maybe the problem isn't as bad as we think. At the same time, I don't know if I trust the #'s. Such an obscure ratings system, esp for offensive linemen.

I'd prefer to see player scores from quarter to quarter. We know the first was a faceplant, for example. If their scores are good, then there must be something lost in translation.

I'm not sure I'd call 51 and 27 on the tackles decent.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That would require an expansion of the playbook.
Do we think Taylor is capable of that?
Hilarious

As one of the reporters said (can't recall if it was Rapien, Goodberry, or someone else), this offense becomes extremely predictable, even going back to previous years.

I believe this is our single biggest problem.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 06:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: His worst play of the day actually had nothing to do with his back. He blocked the wrong guy and let Parsons fly into the backfield untouched. Of all ***** players to not account for. That shouldn’t happen when you have 2 vets on that right side.

Exactly

How does the line not identify Parsons on every play ? It's like football 101 and they jack it up.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 06:49 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'm not sure I'd call 51 and 27 on the tackles decent.

No need to be sure about anything. Overall is the operative word. That's just pass pro. 46, 67, 68, 68, 65 overall. 63 average. Overall. Like I said lol
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That would require an expansion of the playbook.
Do we think Taylor is capable of that?
Hilarious

As one of the reporters said (can't recall if it was Rapien, Goodberry, or someone else), this offense becomes extremely predictable, even going back to previous years.

We've had people here talking about that for a long time as well and it would take a lot to convince me the play calling/unimaginative offense is not a big part of the Oline problem. 

I watch a pretty fair amount of NFL games and almost never seen QBs get anywhere near as much pressure as Burrow gets on him on an every week basis. It also seems glaring to me how little we seem to have plays to scheme people open and so many of our plays are contested catches. 

I can't remember the last time a defense has seemed tricked or confused by something we're going to do.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:50 PM)TheFan Wrote: We've had people here talking about that for a long time as well and it would take a lot to convince me the play calling/unimaginative offense is not a big part of the Oline problem. 

I watch a pretty fair amount of NFL games and almost never seen QBs get anywhere near as much pressure as Burrow gets on him on an every week basis. It also seems glaring to me how little we seem to have plays to scheme people open and so many of our plays are contested catches. 

I can't remember the last time a defense has seemed tricked or confused by something we're going to do.

This is what’s really troubling about Taylor. How many of our big TD plays last year were just Chase braking tackles (Baltimore) or outrunning an entire defense (KC)? And some of our other best TD’s came from Burrow and Chase creating on their own after the play breaks down (SF).

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is what’s really troubling about Taylor. How many of our big TD plays last year were just Chase braking tackles (Baltimore) or outrunning an entire defense (KC)? And some of our other best TD’s came from Burrow and Chase creating on their own after the play breaks down (SF).

Yep. Put Dalton there or take Chase out of the mix...and huge struggles.

Ie They weren't great play calls or scheme. The players did it themselves.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:47 PM)tms Wrote: No need to be sure about anything. Overall is the operative word. That's just pass pro. 46, 67, 68, 68, 65 overall. 63 average. Overall. Like I said lol

Except nobody is worried about Mixon getting hit at a record setting pace.

Church it up all you want - the line sucks.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:56 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Did we try running directly at Parsons much?  It seems with how quickly he gets upfield it could create some areas to attack.

Hard to run at a guy who is not there when think he will be he moves all over
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: Looks like PFF agreed with most other sources also on the sacks - 3 on the line 3 on Burrow.

Wasn't 1 of them on Sample? (Though I have long said that when a TE gives up a sack 1-on-1 to a DE, that's on the OC.) So maybe they're saying 2 on Burrow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't 1 of them on Sample? (Though I have long said that when a TE gives up a sack 1-on-1 to a DE, that's on the OC.) So maybe they're saying 2 on Burrow.

Did that silliness a couple times last year, too. Sample vs Danielle Hunter comes to mind.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:22 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Except nobody is worried about Mixon getting hit at a record setting pace.

Church it up all you want - the line sucks.

Church it up? What are you, f 11-years-old? Grow up little boy. You'll be fine. The team actually has no direct impact on your life. If you need a football team to play well in order for you to feel better about yourself, the problem is in the mirror.

"Except nobody is worried about Mixon getting hit at a record setting pace..." - who TF said anything about Mixon?! Record setting pace?! WTF is that?! Don't hang those words on me. You're just talking to yourself. Like I said: mirror.  Take your snark and smear it all over that lol
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this is our single biggest problem.

It's certainly a problem. We may be easiest team to defend in nfl.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did that silliness a couple times last year, too. Sample vs Danielle Hunter comes to mind.

Bengals have been doing that shit dating back at least to Gresham vs Cameron Wake. It is baffling why OCs keep doing it. If you're asking a TE to block DEs in anything more than a chip or a double team, you're failing in play design. There's a reason why nobody is drafting 255-265lb Tackles and instead want 300-330lb ones.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:50 PM)TheFan Wrote: We've had people here talking about that for a long time as well and it would take a lot to convince me the play calling/unimaginative offense is not a big part of the Oline problem. 

Agree

A ZT called offense is just way too predictable. And that's a giant part of the problem. 
Reply/Quote